Clapton...

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    F off crapton and that rodgers bloke too, everyone knows Jimmy's the best  :)
    Somerville? He had a great voice.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    Can Blue Men Sing The Whites?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9742
    To answer the original question...

1. When the Beano album came out, most of us had never heard anything like it before - distorted guitar, controlled aggression, plenty of memorable licks, etc. It might all sound a bit old hat (and even a little sloppy) some fifty-ish years on, but at the time it was groundbreaking.

2. One thing with EC is that he tends not to overplay. He serves the song rather than lots of pointless widdling. The lack of showiness quite possibly means he doesn't get rated as highly as some more flashy players.

3. He came at a time (and he admits this himself) when anyone with three chords and a sense of timing could form or join a band. Also, until then the guitar was mostly - but not exclusively - used as an accompanying instrument. Clapton was quite possibly the first guitar god.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    He was good in the late 60s early 70s when he was drug addled and drunk (ignoring the nazi/racist stuff).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19020
    Can Blue Men Sing The Whites?
    They can if they're playing on my pink half of the drainpipe.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2230
    WHAT!!! 

You know he's in his seventies now. His stuff has been around for over 50 years and people, even young people, still listen to it and find it relevant.

The guy was an innovator in his time. He came before nearly every other "guitar hero" and you can guarantee all those that came after him, learnt guitar playing his stuff.

This is blasphemous. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    The Bonamassa of his day!...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    poopot said:
    Couldn’t have been - he didn’t have anywhere near enough Gibsons - and the ones he did have he lost/gave away/got nicked
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Fishboy7 said:
    He was good in the late 60s early 70s when he was drug addled and drunk (ignoring the nazi/racist stuff).

His nazi racist stuff is seriously underrated too. His emotive treatment of 'Deutschland Erwache' and 'SS Marschiert in Feindesland' is up there with Wagner. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Couldn’t have been - he didn’t have anywhere near enough Gibsons - and the ones he did have he lost/gave away/got nicked
    I mean they are the same in the sense that it’s insipid paint by numbers corporate blews...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    For me he’s probably the ‘best’ all-round guitarist of all time. Can’t think of another who has achieved what he has wrt the guitar over such a period.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7169
    He had a great 'tone' using his four knobs apparently.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6829
    I mean yeah sure if you judge him by his recent Christmas album then he's awful and bland, but Bluesbreakers/Cream/Derek and the Dominoes/August all fantastic and era defining. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    During his stint with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, the infamous graffito read, Clapton Is God. He was replaced by Peter Green. Unfortunately, almost fifty years ago, Peter left the building. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    Still gets boring pretty quick, i try and listen to more new music than old
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    Clapton was Clapton when he played Gibsons, the tones he got and the way he melted licks together added up to a very unique sound. When he moved to strats I think he lost some of his distinctive style. Plus his personal life was all over the shop. But for his work in the mid-late 60s he's rightly considered one of the greats.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Fifty9 said:
    For me he’s probably the ‘best’ all-round guitarist of all time. Can’t think of another who has achieved what he has wrt the guitar over such a period.
    Knopfler?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6829
    ronnyb said:
    Knopfler?
    Not even close. Knopfler has what, 5 well known songs? 

Romeo and Juliet
    Sultans
    Money for Nothing
    Walk of Life
    Brothers in Arms. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Someone said it earlier: fluid and melodic. Makes playing the guitar seem easy. Inspiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    If you’re not into bluesy guitar playing, he probably won’t do it for you.

If you are, listen to Five Long Years, Someday After a While and I’m Tore Down from From The Cradle, Just Like a Prisoner and Same Old Blues from Behind the Sun, the outro solo from Holy Mother from August, the live version of River of Tears from One More Car One More Driver - and you may get an idea.

I saw him at Hyde Park last Summer - even at 73 he had a tone and touch to die for. I’m entirely partisan - I love him - but objectively I reckon even those who don’t would think he’s done enough to be considered one of the greats....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom