Clapton...

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3953
    edited May 2019
    Some people get a buzz from technical ability, some from songwriting, some from vibe, some from groove, some from soul etc. etc. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. If an artist has the ability to put tingles down your spine, for whatever reason, they've got it. Eric can do that to me. Not everyone can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9808
    Barnezy said:
    I just hope he doesn't come on here too regularly. If he sees these comments, it won't be good for his confidence. 
    Don’t worry - we will tell him he looks wonderful tonight.
    Also, for someone who claims that he 'didn't shoot the deputy' he seems to know an awful lot about it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2233
    Lebarque said:
    Some people get a buzz from technical ability, some from songwriting, some from vibe, some from groove, some from soul etc. etc. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. If an artist has the ability to put tingles down your spine, for whatever reason, they've got it. Eric can do that to me. Not everyone can.
    Thing is EC was a fast player in his day. He was technically advanced compared to everyone else around then. I'm sure if he saw some musical purpose to play Flight of the Bumble Bee at 1000bmp he probably would have been able to. But there really is no musical purpose. The biggest selling artist of our time is a guy who plays 4 chord songs on a travel guitar. Music has nothing to do with technical ability, but everything to do with how it connects with people imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited May 2019
    I never connected with his music, but his impact is there for all to be seen, so my opinion doesn't matter.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    Lebarque said:

If that doesn't give you a buzz, I despair...
    Sorry. Commence despairing. :)

That vid may as well be entitled “Spud-faced curmudgeonly septuagenarian and troupe of dullard bandmates produce hours of vacuous, irrelevant, soporific and meaningless dross.”

I can’t watch, listen to or even be aware of the existence of this shite for precisely the same reason re. my comments on the Guitarist mag thread. 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Lebarque said:

That vid may as well be entitled “Spud-faced curmudgeonly septuagenarian and troupe of dullard bandmates produce hours of vacuous, irrelevant, soporific and meaningless dross.”

I can’t watch, listen to or even be aware of the existence of this shite for precisely the same reason re. my comments on the Guitarist mag thread. 
    ^this...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Lebarque said:

Come on @HarrySeven - we are all getting a bit bored of you sitting on the fence on this one.

:D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9964
    Here's two versions of the same song, one is Clapton the other is White Stripes (notwithstanding my fanboy nature for the latter). Even trying to be as objective as I can, I cannot see how the first is a better version than the second

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    Here's two versions of the same song, one is Clapton the other is White Stripes (notwithstanding my fanboy nature for the latter). Even trying to be as objective as I can, I cannot see how the first is a better version than the second

I like both artists. Clapton was trying to stay true to the original recording - down to technique, location and equipment.

A better example would be Crossroads - what Clapton did with crossroads 40 years ago (or whenever) is undoubtably an influence on what White has produced there.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited May 2019

He used to be known as slowhand right? Should have been known as secondhand... his biggest hits were just loud guitar based covers of really quite beautiful songs, Cocaine, I shot the sherif, knocking on heavens door... Even Back in the day, if it was down to him cream would have been playing hour long versions of the Robert Johnson classic!... And he covered them without really improving the originals!.

He even borrowed Hendricks hair in ‘67 forcryinoutloud!...

When he did write his own stuff it was all love sick tripe about a woman he got secondhand from his mate!...

And on the subject of Layla, Duane Allman played all the good bits

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    Lebarque said:

Come on @HarrySeven - we are all getting a bit bored of you sitting on the fence on this one.

:D

@Bridgehouse - Just telling it like it is. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Clapton isn’t overrated. He just suffered from ‘the eighties’ and never recovered. 

It happens. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    Clapton isn’t overrated. He just suffered from ‘the eighties’ and never recovered. 

It happens. 
    He was overrated well before the 80’s!...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31069
    When Eric is on form few can touch him. He's 70 odd and his hands are agony. Give him a break. Many of us wouldn't have picked up a guitar if it weren't for him

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    If it wasn't for him Les Paul guitars would still look like SGs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9964
    Iamnobody said:

I like both artists. Clapton was trying to stay true to the original recording - down to technique, location and equipment.

A better example would be Crossroads - what Clapton did with crossroads 40 years ago (or whenever) is undoubtably an influence on what White has produced there.
    See on the other hand I think his version of both of those songs are so far away from the original in terms of approach and attack that they are uncomfortably smarmy and goofy. I'm not doubting he's a very able player I just cannot get into his approach to music as it's very different to what I like and what I try to portray. Just very polite and safe sounding to me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12066
    poopot said:
    why is he considered one of the greats?.

To my mind he is vastly overrated...
    Same as all the "greats", he developed a new way of playing and was widely admired for it

Unlike most famous guitarists he has written lots of successful songs, which is an even rarer achievement
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31855
    Tenebrous said:
    I never connected with his music, but his impact is there for all to be seen, so my opinion doesn't matter.
    Exactly this. Also, it's easy to dismiss Clapton without a good knowledge of historical context. 

In the mid 60s he was tearing it up like nobody else. There were a few Americans on the same wavelength arriving at a similar place with the same influences, but even people like Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop were not in Clapton's league. 

A bit like EVH in 1978, it took the whole world a couple of years to catch up with him.

If you don't like what he does or just hate that style, fine, but to dismiss him as crap says more about your own ignorance than it does about him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31069
    edited May 2019
    Gass's Official List of Guitarists You Can Recognise From One Note
    • DG
    • Eric
    • May
    • SRV
    • Santana
    • Kossoff
    • EVH
    • Neil Young
    • Green
    • Hank
    Daylight

The Rest.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Gass's Official List of Guitarists You Can Recognise From One Note
    • DG
    • Eric
    • May
    • SRV
    • Santana
    • Kossoff
    • EVH
    • Neil Young
    • Green
    • Hank
    Daylight

The Rest.
    Surly BB, Cooder and Cropper should be up there as well?