What’s your default amp?

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
Ive owned pretty much everything under the sun at one point or another. I can’t really afford the money or space for several amps, so when I need a decent all rounder, my detault is the Orange Rockerverb Mk1 combo. Spanking cleans and soaring gains. I always know that if I get bored and I sell it, I can get another fairly easily (and have several times). So, what does everyone else gravitate back to, and why? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4177
    Fender HRD III
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    It was a Combo Marshall 6101 for a long time, but it might change to either a Friedman Runt 20 or a 2204 modded replica...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12462
    Anything with fendery cleans really.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Blues Delux RI - Great cleans, and takes pedals really well.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 461
    PRRI
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 966
    Like the OP I've owned many amps over the last 35 years. 

These days very happy with a HRD and a HX-FX. Still makes me grin when I turn it up a bit.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    Fender DRRi.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 234
    Always Marshall sounding for gigs but now I am 52 I have went from the head and 4x12 at 18 to a 1x10 MJW Roadstar. I used to wrestle a Marshall 4 x 12 into a triumph acclaim.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27451
    I've always had something vaguely Voxy - between Laney VC15, Vox Nighttrain and Badcat Cub, but every time Ive had the option or used a modeller for the last few years I've gone for something Deluxe-Reverb-ish, so I might go for a shift in that direction soon. 

I also wonder about getting an old VC15 and putting it in proper 1x12 cab with a good speaker...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dcgdcg Frets: 236
    my default amp=1970s Fender Princeton Reverb with 12" WGS smooth cone speaker...[aka the amp I believe I will never sell]
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    Fender Blackface with more a bit more mids is where I live, then pedals on top.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31771
    I can get what I need out of any 4-hole Marshall or a big clean Fender. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I like an amp set to warm clean/edge of breakup, then get different sounds using pedals.
    My WEM Dominator does that as well as as anything I've ever heard. 
    It was a combo that I made into a head and use it with a 2x12 Marshall cab. 
    Set of mullard toobs, greenback drivers, vintage hot strat (or Gibson, t-top buckers!).
    My idea of heaven  :) 

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4177
    edited May 2019
    Philtre said:
    Fender HRD III
    Changed my mind. I hate the HRD III. The only amp for me is my Marshall Origin.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5198
    edited May 2019
    I’ve only got one amp, so I guess that’s my default one...... Cornell Romany Plus 1x12 with Reverb 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72830
    Peavey solid-state amps.

I always come back to them eventually... I've owned loads and usually sold them because I thought I wanted/needed/had something better, but in the end I always get another one! Currently a Studio Pro 112, 'red stripe' Transtube series. If I sell this one I can always get another.

I suppose the Mesa Trem-o-verb would probably be the real answer in terms of sound, but I don't own one any more, and probably won't ever again - the weight eventually became difficult to deal with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13979
    edited May 2019
    if you want a solid all rounder, get a mesa Boogie Mark V 25, 35 or the full version combo or head/cab. Very versatile amps with 6 or more tone stacks from clean to crunch to various flavours of drive.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    It was always my JTM45 through a 4x12 but since buying an Orange CR120 with 2x12 cab I tend to gravitate towards that, it's a stupendously good amp for a solid state.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8799
    There isn’t one amp which gives me the sounds I want, much as I wish there was because I’m all in favour of simplicity. One of the many benefits of using an AxeFX is that I can get the different amp sounds which I want without humping lots of amps and cabinets around.

For clean sounds the Carol Ann Tucana gives the balance of warmth and brightness which I like. For crunch and overdrive it’s a Dumble model. Then, for something more aggressive, I’ll run a Marshall Plexi clone in parallel with the Dumble. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    Well at home it's a THR5, or even unplugged 

Gigging

Rock/covers - Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier with a pair of 1x12 Black Shadow speakers. Rehearsal a Fender ProJunior
    Jazz - Henriksen 110R
    Django stuff - AER60
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback