Fender CS prices

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2381
    £6499 for a Masterbuilt guitar wouldn't be so bad if they actually built you guitar themselves. They don't. They don't paint them even. By the time the 'masterbuilder' touches your guitar the hard work has already been done. Meanwhile back in the real world you can buy a guitar from guys like Mike Smith, Joe Dobson, Carson Hess, Marc Rutter, Feline etc etc....and they do actually BUILD your guitar...for under half that price. 
    In the 1990's a Masterbuilt guitar was around $500 over the price of a teambuilt....todays its $3000. Explain that. 
    There are no 'Masters' left at Fender. They all left years back and started up companies themselves. I see they've just taken on a couple of new builders at FCS....Carlos Lopez and Kyle Mcmillin. But still demand grows through clever marketing and myth creating. The difference between team built and masterbuilt is marginal. The relic work is often more detailed but beyond that you're paying for not a whole lot else....but if you've nothing better to do with your money then go ahead...make your dealers day....whats the dealer profit on a £6499....£2k+?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Thing is you can pay whatever you want for a guitar. It is your choice.

But can you play it? 

Or should I say, can you play it well?

Maybe.

Or maybe you like buying expensive guitars?

Just saying.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3160
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:

I disagree.

I like to go to Michelin-starred restaurants and try their à la carte menus. The Fat Duck (Heston) is widely different from Royal Hospital Road (Ramsey), and The Yew Tree (Marco). I don't go to these restaurants because I want the same food everywhere, I go because I want to choose who cooks my food and who puts their signature on it.

The option of choosing which luthier builds your guitar to your chosen spec is EXACTLY what the Custom Shop is all about, it's the entire reason for their existence, and why SME owners, Baby-Boomers, and Hedge Fund Managers pull out their credit cards.

Of course, ordering a guitar from the Custom Shop isn't mandatory but for those who want to, the option is there.
    I'd maybe agree with you about the small number of CS guitars that are *true* custom jobs. However the vast majority are simply assemblies of off-the-shelf components in combinations that Fender don't happen to make as standard production models... to use your analogy it's like caring about which chef runs the kitchen at Wetherspoons.
    Once again I disagree, to further my analogy...

Give both myself and Marco Pierre White the same set of ingredients from Tescos and we both know who's will taste better. The top luthiers at the CS are there because they are at the top of their game, not because they were hired from a Temp agency. Rich folk buy into that, regardless if you would.

BTW, if Michele Roux Jr ran a Weatherspoons kitchen, it'd be brilliant.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Fully agree @Strat54 . The fact that they don’t actually make or paint the basics themselves voids the price tag for me. I’m not having a pop at fender, but those big price tags.... wow. Still, it’s their business and if the high end stuff continues to sell who are we to question it? A company that size also has running costs on an astronomical scale compared to the likes of me. Someone has to pay for it. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    £6499 for a Masterbuilt guitar -.whats the dealer profit on a £6499....£2k+?

2k Profit - I wish

VAT is 1K 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Another issue to mention is the daily cost of a £3500 Custom Shop - Granted you need the £3500 in the first place to buy it - But keep it 5 years and it will have cost you less than £2 a day - Less than a pint or a Costa coffee - And if you decide it sell it after 5 years you'd get back in excess of £2000 - On that basis that now equates to 82p a day - So is either 82p a day or £2 a day expensive ????

Keep it longer than 5 years and the daily cost is reduced - Granted sell it 2 months or 12 months later and daily costs will have increased
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Another issue to mention is the dail cost of a £3500 Custom Shop - Granted you need the £3500 in the first place to buy it - But keep it 5 years and it will have cost you less than £2 a day - Less than a pint or a Costa coffee - And if you decide it sell it after 5 years you'd get back in excess of £2000 - On that basis that now equates to 82p a day - So is either 82p a day or £2 a day expensive ????

Keep it longer than 5 years and the daily cost is reduced - Granted sell it 2 months or 12 months later and daily costs will have increased
    You’ve made the odd assumption that people on here keep Guitars for longer than about a week ;)
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Another issue to mention is the daily cost of a £3500 Custom Shop - Granted you need the £3500 in the first place to buy it - But keep it 5 years and it will have cost you less than £2 a day - Less than a pint or a Costa coffee - And if you decide it sell it after 5 years you'd get back in excess of £2000 - On that basis that now equates to 82p a day - So is either 82p a day or £2 a day expensive ????

You’ve made the odd assumption that people on here keep Guitars for longer than about a week ;)
    I was thinking exactly the same as I typed the above - Equally I've seen both sides in that many have kept their guitar for many years - I suppose those who buy/change regularly keep the guitar business going - Buy 1 guitar and keep it 20 years and no dealer or vat office benefits much
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    RiftAmps said:
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:

I disagree.

I like to go to Michelin-starred restaurants and try their à la carte menus. The Fat Duck (Heston) is widely different from Royal Hospital Road (Ramsey), and The Yew Tree (Marco). I don't go to these restaurants because I want the same food everywhere, I go because I want to choose who cooks my food and who puts their signature on it.

The option of choosing which luthier builds your guitar to your chosen spec is EXACTLY what the Custom Shop is all about, it's the entire reason for their existence, and why SME owners, Baby-Boomers, and Hedge Fund Managers pull out their credit cards.

Of course, ordering a guitar from the Custom Shop isn't mandatory but for those who want to, the option is there.
    I'd maybe agree with you about the small number of CS guitars that are *true* custom jobs. However the vast majority are simply assemblies of off-the-shelf components in combinations that Fender don't happen to make as standard production models... to use your analogy it's like caring about which chef runs the kitchen at Wetherspoons.

Give both myself and Marco Pierre White the same set of ingredients from Tescos and we both know who's will taste better. The top luthiers at the CS are there because they are at the top of their game, not because they were hired from a Temp agency. Rich folk buy into that, regardless if you would.

I could teach Marco Pierre White or some dullard from the 'Spoons to bolt the two halves of a Telecaster together in about four minutes. 

Unless you want some silly outlandish finish, Fender guitars are neither haute cuisine or "luthiery". 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Fender custom shop prices are highly amusing - these guitars are mass produced cnc machined designed to be inexpensive and cheap to manufacture - just get a MIM, decent set up and mod it to suit. Keep it for 5 years and bet it costs you about 30p a day without having to sell it ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    From my admittedly non-scientific impression of the market the spike in guitar prices isn't confined to Fender Custom Shop: if anything Gibson prices seem to have jumped even more, and I suspect most high end manufacturers have fallen into line.

It's pretty much killed my GAS because I'm just not seeing value for money anywhere.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    p90fool said:
    RiftAmps said:
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:

I disagree.

I could teach Marco Pierre White or some dullard from the 'Spoons to bolt the two halves of a Telecaster together in about four minutes. 

Unless you want some silly outlandish finish, Fender guitars are neither haute cuisine or "luthiery". 
    So a CNC'd gibson/suhr/godin/anderson/esp/name anything mass produced guitar is any different how?

I don't understand why people moan about bolt on guitars like fenders but don't say shit about suhr/Anderson and the rest.
    Even a Gibson les Paul is a lot of cnc with a shitty glue join for the neck to the body but it's ok because they are the pinicle of luthier perfection right?

Echoparks are 10k and they are fucking shocking. Wheres the uproar about them?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    p90fool said:
    RiftAmps said:
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:

I disagree.

So a CNC'd gibson/suhr/godin/anderson/esp/name anything mass produced guitar is any different how?

I don't understand why people moan about bolt on guitars like fenders but don't say shit about suhr/Anderson and the rest.
    Even a Gibson les Paul is a lot of cnc with a shitty glue join for the neck to the body but it's ok because they are the pinicle of luthier perfection right?

Agree - Fenders were not designed to be cheap shit guitars much to contrary belief, a Gibson has glue instead of bolts, and is probably more forgiving in its tolerances.
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 506
    I guess the thing is there is a certain level of 'brand value' and you can always get shot of a Fender whereas lesser know, higher quality (maybe) luthier made instruments aren't so easy to move on. To an extent you are paying for that facility
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Strat54 said:
    guys like Mike Smith, Joe Dobson, Carson Hess, Marc Rutter, etc etc....and they do actually BUILD your guitar...

FTFY.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I guess the thing is there is a certain level of 'brand value' and you can always get shot of a Fender whereas lesser know, higher quality (maybe) luthier made instruments aren't so easy to move on. To an extent you are paying for that facility
    This in spades, my favourite and highest quality guitars are all built by small production run luthiers... they also lose more money than any of the higher end fender and Gibson ones... but they aren’t bought as investments, they are bought for pleasure and if they lose money, it’s only an issue if I sell them. Which I try not too 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    For me though, it still comes down to how fantastic an electric guitar needs to be  - there is a limit to how much time, expertise and money you can throw at a Telecaster before you are simply no longer getting a better Telecaster. 

You can put every single last detail of your perfect Tele in place for, let's be generous, two grand. You'll get the right woods, great hardware, lovely handwound pickups and a perfect setup. 

Adding four thousand pounds on top of that merely buys you a story to tell, a bit of a warm glow, some bragging rights, and a feeling of being connected somehow to important people in the industry. 

What it doesn't and can't do is buy you a better Telecaster, you already did that four grand ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Nikc said:
    Fender custom shop prices are highly amusing - these guitars are mass produced cnc machined designed to be inexpensive and cheap to manufacture - just get a MIM, decent set up and mod it to suit. Keep it for 5 years and bet it costs you about 30p a day without having to sell it ;) 
    That’s great if you like generic modern c neck profiles and thick poly finishes (and are planning on a pickup upgrade).

My teambuilt CS 61 strat is the best one I’ve played bar none. Helps that it was a “good” deal at £2.5k new. I wouldn’t pay much more than that for any strat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    meltedbuzzbox said:

I certainly never said any of that! I agree with you.

What's an Echopark? Other than a Feeder album... :)

dindude said:

Fenders were not designed to be cheap shit guitars much to contrary belief, a Gibson has glue instead of bolts, and is probably more forgiving in its tolerances.
    They were not designed to be cheap shit - they were designed to be mass-produced by factory workers rather than luthiers.

And you're right, if you've seen inside some Gibson neck joints it makes 70s Fenders look like precision engineering.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    A couple of points regarding the CS prices - Suhr and PRS can effectively put the same USA Custom Shop grade into the shops today for around £2300 or less - Granted a gig bag not a case - But a significant reduction - I'm not saying one is better than the other but CS, Suhr and PRS all carry a similar pro end ethos

However the PRS and Suhrs at £2300 ish are spec'd the same - Little variation/options - That saves production time with running one model and can run the spray both in batches - ie sunburst today and LPB tomorrow etc

The large majority of CS Guitars are one offs - I don't order 10 x 62 Strats the same - Different neck profiles, colours less aged to seriously aged etc - Such options will add time and costs to a production line - Won't account for  a £700/800 price differential over a Suhr/PRS but it is an additional point