The "SG" - why are they always crap??

What's Hot
I swear down blahd!! 

ahem...

Every time I've tried an SG style guitar, literally every single time, intonation issues, dodgy pots, crackly pickup switches, incorrectly cut nuts, etc.

I've tried Epiphone's, Gibson's, Tokai's, and the cheapo nasty ones. I reckon I've probably tried around 12 ever, so not a huge amount.

Just my least favourite guitar overall. Feels like a toothpick to play even when none of the above is an issue. Don't know why I'm making this thread really, other than to shit on a guitar I don't like...

I tried a Gibson SG in Tokyo the day before flying back. It was simply terrible. Not worth the money at all.

But I tell you what - I'd love a nice double cut, but I don't see any around other than those Les Paul Special Double Cut's with the p90's.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703

You didn't even mention neck dive or the weak headstock join!

I like them, they're cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    But I tell you what - I'd love a nice double cut, but I don't see any around other than those Les Paul Special Double Cut's with the p90's.
    Yamaha Revstar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I "didn't like" SGs until Gibson released the cheapo junior (I think) version a few years ago and actually tried one. I ended up buying a '60's tribute and it's one of my favourite guitars. The  BB2 bridge pickup into a crunchy amp is fantastic. Still not 100% about the neck pickup due to its placement.
    Oh and back to the OP, it had a slightly dodgy selector switch :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27041
    Sounds like you've just always found crap ones, possibly playing LH doesn't help. 

But you don't find many guys who like both LPs and SGs equally - you've been an LP guy for ages, so it's always going to feel weird. They're probably my favourite solidbody, and I don't get the LP "thing" in quite the same way.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    edited June 2019
    The Knaggs Honga killed my SG gas for good... you have to want the 24-fret variant of SG for the Honga to do it for you of course, but it's got all the basic elements and none of the tradeoffs or the balance issues.

Edit: ah, you need a lefty, right - no good then. :( Good luck in your quest!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375

You need a Yamaha SG, probably a 1000 or 2000.

Japanese build quality, more Les-Paul-like than SG-like construction, powerful ringing tone that I think would suit your music, and they're available left-handed too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Tenebrous said:
    Yamaha Revstar.
    Yeah those look great, but no lefties that I can see.

Sounds like you've just always found crap ones, possibly playing LH doesn't help. 

But you don't find many guys who like both LPs and SGs equally - you've been an LP guy for ages, so it's always going to feel weird. They're probably my favourite solidbody, and I don't get the LP "thing" in quite the same way.
    Yeah fair point. The LP and SG are quite different feeling to one another. Basically I'd like a double cut LP instead of an SG, but they're few and far between, especially as a leftie.

Bye!

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited June 2019
    I've had a couple of SGs over the years... Regular orvilles, historic VOS models, a 1964 SG junior, Grecos, etc... All of them have been quite nice guitars. Lightweight, ressonant, barky and nice sparkly cleans, plus they look cool. I was careful with them obviously, but then again, I like to be careful with all my guitars.

You probably just need to find a good one.
  • brooom said:
    I've had a couple of SGs over the years... Regular orvilles, historic VOS models, a 1964 SG junior, Grecos, etc... All of them have been quite nice guitars. Lightweight, ressonant, barky and nice sparkly cleans, plus they look cool. I was careful with them obviously, but then again, I like to be careful with all my guitars.

I think they look cool too, which is why I keep trying them. Didn't know Orville did any SG's.

Bye!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    ICBM said:

Or a 3000...

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/left-handed-yamaha-sg3000-guitar-454605493

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    brooom said:

I think they look cool too, which is why I keep trying them. Didn't know Orville did any SG's.
    They did yes, they have regular orvilles and the orville by gibson nitro finished models. I've had a regular one and it was great, easily as great as the 2014 VOS historic I had, if I'm going to be honest. But the body was not a one piece, not that I particularly cared.
  • ICBM said:

Japanese build quality, more Les-Paul-like than SG-like construction, powerful ringing tone that I think would suit your music, and they're available left-handed too.
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

Or a 3000...

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/left-handed-yamaha-sg3000-guitar-454605493
    Every time I've seen one of those, it's been right-handed. Very few lefties out there, but yes they're proper BEEF MACHINES - a mate has one, and his tone was the henchiest of the henchers.

Bye!

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    Its because you are left handed, nobody puts any effort in to making them because ...well why bother i guess ;)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    and flexible necks! Urgh.

That being said the ESP Viper is a good version. Or at least the only version I've ever liked.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    PRS Mira.

It’s all of the good bits of an SG, none of the bad bits, and better made... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840

That being said the ESP Viper is a good version. Or at least the only version I've ever liked.
    ESP Vipers are cool. Fuller thickness body to prevent neck dive and 24 frets. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12340
    If it a double cut just turn it around! And re the SG - NO, YOU’RE CRAP!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    mbe said:

ESP Vipers are cool. Fuller thickness body to prevent neck dive and 24 frets. 
    I really like this one:

https://www.espguitars.com/products/21037-rm-600?category_id=1969414-reba-meyers

I'm not usually a fan of 24 frets with double humbuckers as sometimes I end up hitting the front pickup with my plec.

But on this - I'd get a single coil put in at the neck to give me the room and neck tones.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783

Hands up as being someone that likes both SG's & LP's...& Strat's & Tele's etc.
    Sure there's a category that can be added to the L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+  groups to cover me.
    Gear tart?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I love SG standards. Never had an issue with any of them. Quality, feel and finish all perfect. I can recall 5 Gibson’s I’ve owned. 3 of them used, 2 brand new.