The "SG" - why are they always crap??

What's Hot

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    There's a Gibson SG kicking around at the studio. It sounds great and is fun to play but won't stay in tune for more than a nanosecond.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I love my SG, I've not played many, but mine feels so like Home to me now that I much prefer it to any other guitar I try. I find it much more playable than an LP and much more exciting and inspiring to play than a Strat or Tele. I have limited experience though.

I am hoping to buy another SG (one of the new Specials) this summer if I can gather the cash for it and it passes the test drive.

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    I do love me an SG... Bridges the gap quite nicely between fenders and the fatness of an LP. 
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11875
    Yeah fair point. The LP and SG are quite different feeling to one another. Basically I'd like a double cut LP instead of an SG, but they're few and far between, especially as a leftie.

Doesn't the new Epi DC Pro come as a lefty?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Yeah fair point. The LP and SG are quite different feeling to one another. Basically I'd like a double cut LP instead of an SG, but they're few and far between, especially as a leftie.

Doesn't the new Epi DC Pro come as a lefty?
    I don't think so, no. But it does look cool!

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited June 2019
    I'm still torn on my SG especially vs an LP which was previously my guitar of choice. Some days I absolutely hate how they look, especially a cherry red one. Just so cliche "rock" and even more so for the stoner stuff I play. Comfort wise though there's nothing else like it, fits like a glove. Playing an LP now feels like an anchor being strapped round your neck with all the hard edges to match. My SG is so bloody resonant and loud unplugged, yet I've still not quite found the right bridge pickup to translate this plugged in. It's always a bit weak and strangled. Neck pickup is always fine, just the bridge it struggles with. Really think it might be time to cut my losses and go back to a nice LP (or a PRS), if only I didn't have the sentimental value! Suppose I just have it in my head that a Gibson must sound a certain way.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    I like the way SG's sound, they have less bottom end than a Les Paul which accentuates the mids nicely for overdriven rock tones.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3742
    edited June 2019
    Quite happy with my SG

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    SGs are like skateboards, you can do all sorts of cool tricks on them but they aren't a sensible mode of transport. Also they are thin like skateboards
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Have you tried any Gordon Smith guitars? 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I always hated SGs, but now I seem to rather like the look of them, so much so that I may even make myself one.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4133
    My Gibson sg standard sounds and plays incredible.   
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Try a PRS Mira........

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I love me an SG, but I never get on with full fat LP's (but love my Junior). A decent SG will ring and bark and has that mid rangey honky tone when overdriven that I personally love.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    I suggest the crap electronics isn't SG specific...  Similarly the nuts and hardware.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    Not all SGs are great.

But a great one is a joy.

My 2004 Special is incredible- I’ve owned several and this one is still the best I’ve ever played. It’s part of me.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23066

I like SGs a lot, I find the body shape really comfortable and I've never found the neck-dive thing too much of a problem. 

But I have owned several which were not very good.  And I've given up trying to find a good one with a fat neck. 

I worry about the strength of the neck joint too, although the current design is sturdier than the vintage style.

The PRS Mira (RIP) is a good alternative.  But again they should make one with a fat neck.

• breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    They ought to be a great guitar to ‘flip’  for use by a lefty, but I can’t recall any pics...

Even Iommi had a lefty SG from the beginning.(I think)

I did find the ‘neck further away from me’  felt a bit odd to begin with. 

But prefer the P90  SG , if for no other reason than  Zal Cleminson used one in his finest hours 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27195
    They ought to be a great guitar to ‘flip’  for use by a lefty, but I can’t recall any pics...

Even Iommi had a lefty SG from the beginning.(I think)

I did find the ‘neck further away from me’  felt a bit odd to begin with. 

But prefer the P90  SG , if for no other reason than  Zal Cleminson used one in his finest hours 
    Jimi is the obvious (though not that obvious!) one..

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Excellent !  

And that that pic also reminds me that you don’t even need to change the strap pins