The "SG" - why are they always crap??

What's Hot

Comments

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Philly_Q said:

I like SGs a lot, I find the body shape really comfortable and I've never found the neck-dive thing too much of a problem. 

But I have owned several which were not very good.  And I've given up trying to find a good one with a fat neck. 

I worry about the strength of the neck joint too, although the current design is sturdier than the vintage style.

The PRS Mira (RIP) is a good alternative.  But again they should make one with a fat neck.

The new Standard (i.e.not the 61) has a fat neck, long tenon and is pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22896
    Philly_Q said:

I like SGs a lot, I find the body shape really comfortable and I've never found the neck-dive thing too much of a problem. 

But I have owned several which were not very good.  And I've given up trying to find a good one with a fat neck. 

I worry about the strength of the neck joint too, although the current design is sturdier than the vintage style.

The PRS Mira (RIP) is a good alternative.  But again they should make one with a fat neck.

The new Standard (i.e.not the 61) has a fat neck, long tenon and is pretty good.
    Thanks, I just looked at the specs - didn't realise it was a long tenon.  I suspect even the "rounded" profile might be a bit too skinny for me, but it's certainly an improvement on slim taper.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited June 2019
    Philly_Q said:

My 2008 Standard has a pretty fat neck, it's a 50s rounded apparently which is definitely a lot more substantial than a slim taper. Maybe look out for one around that year. I'd be tempted to sell or trade mine I think I just don't get on with the SG bridge pickup sound, I like more sustain/compression and "weight" behind the tone. The Bare Knuckle Warpig (well, Alegree's take on it) does help though.
  • Looks like SGs are only crap to those that don't get along with SGs.

To me, PRS Silver Skys are always crap. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    To me, PRS Silver Skys are always crap. 
    Well it's just a glorified strat copy, so it was doomed from the beginning ;)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I love mine......but i wanted type of guitar today, I'd buy a prs mira. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286

But I tell you what - I'd love a nice double cut, but I don't see any around other than those Les Paul Special Double Cut's with the p90's.
    @IvisonGuitars ;

That is all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I liked the fairly recent SG that I tried, which had a fattish neck. Maybe a 2017 model? The only thing I didn't like was the finish on the back of the neck had that open grained feel, where you can feel the grain on the mahogany, and the neck was a little too D/U shaped for me. But in terms of tone, it sounded great, and sat nicely on the body.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27041
    My 2000-ish Standard has a medium neck. Really comfy but not CS-Les Paul fat. The 2003 Faded Special I had before that had a huge neck, but bigger necks do increase potential for neck dive. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bluenilebluenile Frets: 47
    I like SGs but certainly can understand why they are a bit of an acquired taste - compared to normal guitars you have to swing them over to the right to sit comfortably and then there's the infamous neckdive which while not entirely cured, having a good suede strap has helped out immensely. YMMV just play what feels right for you ultimately
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    bluenile said:
    I like SGs but certainly can understand why they are a bit of an acquired taste - compared to normal guitars you have to swing them over to the right to sit comfortably and then there's the infamous neckdive which while not entirely cured, having a good suede strap has helped out immensely. YMMV just play what feels right for you ultimately
    My last SG had no neck dive at all ... and once the junk 'circuit board' had been replaced with proper pots and caps it was a really fine guitar. I think they are guitars you have to try several of before committing to. I think the balance is so fine that a neck that's a fraction too heavy, or a body that's a bit too light can screw them up totally. I only got rid of the SG as I had too many humbucker equipped pickup demo guitars at the time and needed to thin out. If it had been a single or twin P90 instrument it would still be with me.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I've got one of the first-generation Robot SGs which has not only the stupid self-tuners on the headstock but also some electronic crap built into the bridge and tailpiece, and a battery in the control cavity.

It sounds like shit, both acoustically and plugged-in, and it's ludicrously neck-heavy.  On the other hand, it looks really great - metallic green with a bound headstock and ebony board.

I keep wondering if new tuners, bridge and maybe an aluminium tailpiece would rescue it, or if it's just a lost cause.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Are SGs crap as @cablesnightmarescatastrophes suggests?

No, clearly not, see here for a superb sounding and looking SG:

https://youtu.be/QwNM62TZ78I

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    That version of Debussy is one of my all time benchmark guitar tones @RandallFlagg ;
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3043
    drofluf said:
    Quite happy with my SG

What's the other one? I'm tempted to get myself a mandolin at some stage...

R.
  • Holy shit, I actually like that.

Bye!

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    @robinbowes Which one?

On the right is an octave mandolin that I've now sold. The mandolin is a Hathway. 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    yamaha superflighter. 

look cooler, play great, are great,and for some reason are criminally cheap.

no idea about lefties for them tho.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    Philly_Q said:

I've got one of the first-generation Robot SGs which has not only the stupid self-tuners on the headstock but also some electronic crap built into the bridge and tailpiece, and a battery in the control cavity.

It sounds like shit, both acoustically and plugged-in, and it's ludicrously neck-heavy.  On the other hand, it looks really great - metallic green with a bound headstock and ebony board.

I keep wondering if new tuners, bridge and maybe an aluminium tailpiece would rescue it, or if it's just a lost cause.

Rescue it! A guitar that pretty deserves a second chance. 
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    Philly_Q said:

Rescue it! A guitar that pretty deserves a second chance. 
    This is the model (not my actual guitar).  I probably will try swapping all the hardware at some point, but I don't know if that will be enough to stop it sounding flat and dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqYTNgwzwsk