The "SG" - why are they always crap??

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    Philly_Q said:

This is the model (not my actual guitar).  I probably will try swapping all the hardware at some point, but I don't know if that will be enough to stop it sounding flat and dull.
    It can't hurt to try. At worst you can take the replacement hardware back off again and use it for something else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    I've found that tuners make a great difference to neck dive ... the very worst things to put on an SG are heavy, cast Grovers or locking units ... probably true for robot tuners too ... bog standard tulip Klusons are all I'll entertain on an SG.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    I've found that tuners make a great difference to neck dive ... the very worst things to put on an SG are heavy, cast Grovers or locking units ... probably true for robot tuners too ... bog standard tulip Klusons are all I'll entertain on an SG.

I've got Grovers on mine and it doesn't dive at all.

That green one in the video is lovely, really nice colour and the dark fretboard looks amazing. I hadn't realised quite how hideous those Tronical tuners are though. What were Gibson thinking?

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    boogieman said:

That green one in the video is lovely, really nice colour and the dark fretboard looks amazing. I hadn't realised quite how hideous those Tronical tuners are though. What were Gibson thinking?

If you like green SGs, or aged Pelham Blue, watch out soon...

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    boogieman said:

If you like green SGs, or aged Pelham Blue, watch out soon...
    Pelham Blue you say? You have my interest sir.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22893
    edited June 2019
    boogieman said:

I think the subsequent generations of self-tuners look a bit better - and all the electronics are on the headstock itself - but these are particularly ugly.  And although SG neck-dive doesn't usually bother me, it's ridiculous on this guitar with those giant metal lumps on the headstock.

I have to replace the tuners anyway, I bought the guitar from the US so the charger has a US plug (and is presumably 110v).  I was thinking non-locking Sperzels, vintage tuners would look odd on this guitar.