Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like my watches and have a couple of good ones...my brother though is a vintage watch freak and knows everything, and he even buys and sells some vintage parts...so i get most of my information from him.

Vintage rolex prices are rediculous though...he bought a late 60's sub in italy last year, it think it was about 10,000Euro...not sure but lets call it that for simplicity...in the year that his had it, his seen the price go to 12,000Euro...not that he wants to sell it, because he loves it...but that has to be the best investment!

My pride and joy is a tag heuer monaco re-issue from the mid 90's. In that time i managed to find a VOS heuer buckle and besides the pesky "Tag" logo, it looks like a proper '69 monaco. I also had an old 80's Heuer Pasadena which I stupidly sold it...the movement was a little fucked, so would have cost a bit to fix it...but now when I think back, I should have kept it.

I have my eye on the new Tudor's...the Black bay with the nato type strap...its ETA movement, which means it will wont appreciate or hold its value, but my monaco has the same movement and its done well for the last 20 years...and really i'm buying to wear rather than investment...and these black bay's look really nice.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Today I'm wearing:
    http://image.rakuten.co.jp/gmt/cabinet/syouhin/1/3000004454318_1.jpg?_ex=128x128
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Good lord that is fit. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    samzadgan said:
    I like my watches and have a couple of good ones...my brother though is a vintage watch freak and knows everything, and he even buys and sells some vintage parts...so i get most of my information from him.

Vintage rolex prices are rediculous though...he bought a late 60's sub in italy last year, it think it was about 10,000Euro...not sure but lets call it that for simplicity...in the year that his had it, his seen the price go to 12,000Euro...not that he wants to sell it, because he loves it...but that has to be the best investment!

My pride and joy is a tag heuer monaco re-issue from the mid 90's. In that time i managed to find a VOS heuer buckle and besides the pesky "Tag" logo, it looks like a proper '69 monaco. I also had an old 80's Heuer Pasadena which I stupidly sold it...the movement was a little fucked, so would have cost a bit to fix it...but now when I think back, I should have kept it.

I have my eye on the new Tudor's...the Black bay with the nato type strap...its ETA movement, which means it will wont appreciate or hold its value, but my monaco has the same movement and its done well for the last 20 years...and really i'm buying to wear rather than investment...and these black bay's look really nice.
    Nice. Can't go wrong with the ETA 6497/6498 movements, probably the most reliable movement ever built and any watchsmith can service or fix them so no need to pay ridiculous manufacturer service fees
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Gagaryn said:
    samzadgan said:
    I like my watches and have a couple of good ones...my brother though is a vintage watch freak and knows everything, and he even buys and sells some vintage parts...so i get most of my information from him.

Nice. Can't go wrong with the ETA 6497/6498 movements, probably the most reliable movement ever built and any watchsmith can service or fix them so no need to pay ridiculous manufacturer service fees
    It won't be a 6497, that's an old pocket watch movement they fit in some Panerai's, Chinese copies of which are fitted in a lot of fake Pams too.

The Tudor will have a 2824.

Apropos nothing in particular, I bought my Rolex Datejust brand new in 1987. Earlier in the year I had a full manufacturer's service done and it came back looking like new again. I've now owned it longer than any guitar and will hand it down to my son when I snuff it.

A nice watch is a lovely thing to own....
    Wise words.

I have no doubt your DJ has turned out to be a great investment and you have had the pleasure of ownership for all those years.

Vintage fine makes of watches have appreciated like vintage guitars over time.

Quality never goes out of fashion.
    re Tudor -

I've always had a problem with them, they are the "poor man's Rolex", which is a perception I just can't shake off. I would sooner spend that money on another brand, that isn't under the shadow of its more prestigious sibling.

Bremont are doing some nice stuff, for not bad money, and it's something a little different, British, albeit Swiss made.

TBH I can't see myself buying another watch. I've got three good ones now. That's me done.

For anyone hunting a new watch, one of the best places I've found is Watches of Switzerland at Heathrow. With the VAT off, and a bit of haggling, you could get an unbeatable deal. Its worth booking a cheap flight out and not even bothering flying, just to get into the departure shopping area.
  • As with guitars, I prefer old stuff and have a bit of a thing for tuning fork watches. They were developed for the NASA space programme as, obviously, a normal automatic watch is useless in zero gravity. They have a little tuning fork inside which vibrates 300 times a second. They were quickly eclipsed when quartz watches were invented, but for a few years they were top of the tree. The second hands on them move round in a continuous, smooth sweep. This is my daily driver, an Omega Constellation Chronograph.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    re Tudor -

I've always had a problem with them, they are the "poor man's Rolex", which is a perception I just can't shake off. I would sooner spend that money on another brand, that isn't under the shadow of its more prestigious sibling.

Bremont are doing some nice stuff, for not bad money, and it's something a little different, British, albeit Swiss made.

TBH I can't see myself buying another watch. I've got three good ones now. That's me done.

For anyone hunting a new watch, one of the best places I've found is Watches of Switzerland at Heathrow. With the VAT off, and a bit of haggling, you could get an unbeatable deal. Its worth booking a cheap flight out and not even bothering flying, just to get into the departure shopping area.
    Bremont are hugely expensive for a watch with an ETA inside and they really play on an aviation pedigree which as newcomers doesn't sound authentic at all.

Actually I think the Tudor BB is more realistic being based on older models, better looking too.
    fair comment on bremont Neil. I do like the style of some of their models though.

Tudor - I may be being harsh, but I just see them as cheap (relatively) Rolexes. A bit like Squier to Fender, Epiphone to Gibson. For less than 2k, maybe worth considering, but at 3-4, you can get a nice IWC or Breitling for that (from LHR duty free, lol). Saw a lovely IWC Pilot watch at T5 for about 3.5k, great value.

As with guitars, I prefer old stuff and have a bit of a thing for tuning fork watches. They were developed for the NASA space programme as, obviously, a normal automatic watch is useless in zero gravity. They have a little tuning fork inside which vibrates 300 times a second. They were quickly eclipsed when quartz watches were invented, but for a few years they were top of the tree. The second hands on them move round in a continuous, smooth sweep. This is my daily driver, an Omega Constellation Chronograph.

Interesting watches.

They were not designed for the space programme because of automatics being useless in zero gravity though. Auto's work fine in space. ;)

NASA wanted a chronograph for the Apollo programme and as auto chrono's were not invented until 1969 they had to look at what was available.
    The Omega Speedmaster was chosen as it did best in the rigourous testing that NASA put a variety of makes of watches through.

Bulova Accutrons were used as instrument panel clocks however.

Omega licensed the TF movement from Bulova as the f300 and made them for a while but as you say with the advent of quartz TF's became a thing of the past.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I dont agree with Tudor being a cheap rolex...and i dont think its like squire and epiphone...its more like the old japanese Orvilles...everyone knows gibson, but only people into guitars know orville...same as tudor and rolex.

The one thing i dont like about rolex is that every kid who makes a bit of money wants to buy a rolex because they want to show off their money...they dont get it or understand what they are buying, they just want a watch to show off....The vintage side of things is a very different story.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    samzadgan said:
    I dont agree with Tudor being a cheap rolex...and i dont think its like squire and epiphone...its more like the old japanese Orvilles...everyone knows gibson, but only people into guitars know orville...same as tudor and rolex.
    I think that kind of makes the point though - 99.9% just label is as 'not a Gibson but wishes it was'

I love coming back to this thread ebey now and then. It's a mix of stunning beauty and fuck-me-what-are-you-thinking :-D
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • btw...here's my pride and joy...

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Here's my, somewhat unfashionable, 80s Datejust. Haven't worn it for a year or two since I got a Seiko SKX007 (which I'm not bothered about knackering to buggery).
    It's never been serviced and it's nowhere near as accurate as the Seiko. Unfortuately I'm not in any sort of position to afford the manufacturer's service and the quote I got from a local watchmaker was still pretty eye-watering. Could get my strat refretted and new pickups for a couple of guitars for what they're asking so the Roller stays stuck in the drawer, I'm afraid.

• i like those 80's datejusts...i wouldnt have it on the steel bracelet though...i'd probably try it with a nato strap or a leather strap.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited September 2015
    ArchieLuxury goes to town on the Christopher Ward brand. 

Thermionic - thanks for the yorkshirewatches recommendation, am looking through now.
    Basher said:
    Here's my, somewhat unfashionable, 80s Datejust. Haven't worn it for a year or two since I got a Seiko SKX007 (which I'm not bothered about knackering to buggery).
    It's never been serviced and it's nowhere near as accurate as the Seiko. Unfortuately I'm not in any sort of position to afford the manufacturer's service and the quote I got from a local watchmaker was still pretty eye-watering. Could get my strat refretted and new pickups for a couple of guitars for what they're asking so the Roller stays stuck in the drawer, I'm afraid.

If you want to sell it @Basher ?
    ;)
  • Neil said:
    As with guitars, I prefer old stuff and have a bit of a thing for tuning fork watches. They were developed for the NASA space programme as, obviously, a normal automatic watch is useless in zero gravity. They have a little tuning fork inside which vibrates 300 times a second. They were quickly eclipsed when quartz watches were invented, but for a few years they were top of the tree. The second hands on them move round in a continuous, smooth sweep. This is my daily driver, an Omega Constellation Chronograph.

Interesting watches.

They were not designed for the space programme because of automatics being useless in zero gravity though. Auto's work fine in space. ;)

NASA wanted a chronograph for the Apollo programme and as auto chrono's were not invented until 1969 they had to look at what was available.
    The Omega Speedmaster was chosen as it did best in the rigourous testing that NASA put a variety of makes of watches through.

Bulova Accutrons were used as instrument panel clocks however.

Omega licensed the TF movement from Bulova as the f300 and made them for a while but as you say with the advent of quartz TF's became a thing of the past.
    So what exactly is a chronograph? Is it just a more accurate watch? And is it the same as a Chronometer?