Watches, then?

What's Hot
1161718192022»

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    @PVO_Dave Nice! I'm not a huge fan of Explorers but that's a great colour combo. Is the 4th hand is for a second timezone or a 24h hand?

Mine has blown the Speedmaster idea out of the water a little. I wanted to get something special and this is certainly that. I'll grab a secondhand speedmaster at some point in future, and they'll keep making it forever so no need to rush, whereas this'll be around a year or two and then tweaked or discontinued, most likely. And being slightly cynical it's also a very easy watch for someone to buy as a gift... ;) *cough* Mrsf... *cough*
    Thanks @stickyfiddle  I also originally wanted a Speedmaster, the moon watch specifically, until I found it had the less scratch resistant glass (my Tag has taken some knocks as you see in the photo) and the moon watch being a manual rather than automatic. Tried on one of the automatic Speedmasters, but they are larger and my wrists aren't big enough to pull that off. I'll try and visit a second hand watch retailer at some point and see if I can find a 42mm auto Speedmaster to try :)

The orange hand on the explorer is supposed to be for another time zone, but I think you can run it as a 24hr hand too. 

Lovely new watch you've got there too, still a bit new to high end watches so don't know much about those yet, I best do some research :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    PVO_Dave said:
    @PVO_Dave Nice! I'm not a huge fan of Explorers but that's a great colour combo. Is the 4th hand is for a second timezone or a 24h hand?

Mine has blown the Speedmaster idea out of the water a little. I wanted to get something special and this is certainly that. I'll grab a secondhand speedmaster at some point in future, and they'll keep making it forever so no need to rush, whereas this'll be around a year or two and then tweaked or discontinued, most likely. And being slightly cynical it's also a very easy watch for someone to buy as a gift... ;) *cough* Mrsf... *cough*
    Thanks @stickyfiddle  I also originally wanted a Speedmaster, the moon watch specifically, until I found it had the less scratch resistant glass (my Tag has taken some knocks as you see in the photo) and the moon watch being a manual rather than automatic. Tried on one of the automatic Speedmasters, but they are larger and my wrists aren't big enough to pull that off. I'll try and visit a second hand watch retailer at some point and see if I can find a 42mm auto Speedmaster to try :)

The orange hand on the explorer is supposed to be for another time zone, but I think you can run it as a 24hr hand too. 

Lovely new watch you've got there too, still a bit new to high end watches so don't know much about those yet, I best do some research :D 
    Honestly, I woke up yesterday morning happy in my "going to buy a Speedy" mode, but I happened to walk past the IWC place and they had these in on leather strap and steel bracelet. The blue is really fantastic in real life. Very midnight-y under most lighting conditions, so it doesn't look too fancy from a distance.  The major thing that did it is that this is clearly a bit more special than the Speedy, and woln't be around forever, so as a sentimental thing (inheritance from much-loved grandparents) I really want something special. Whereas, as much as I love a Speedmaster, I know I'll be able to walk around almost any major city and be able to find one at some point in future. 

I wouldn't worry about scratches though - they're inevitable, and most polish out just fine.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806

I bought three Diesel Chronographs over a period of two years. These are big watches – 52mm in diameter excluding crown.

1. Diesel DZ4290 – This one is in chrome with a black face and leather band. I replaced the leather band, from new, with an OEM Diesel 26mm metal band.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Diesel%20DZ4290%201_zpstp37um9f.jpg

2. Diesel DZ4360 – This watch is actually nicer looking than what is shown in the picture. It looks superb in gold. Unfortunately, they do not come with a black face.  

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Diesel%20Mega%20Chief%20DZ4360%20Chronograph%204%2052mm_zpsxbtddgzu.jpg

3. Diesel DZ4318 – I saw this one in Macy’s in New York during Thanksgiving  2016. I knew that if I was patient and waited, I could get it at a good price. I bought it in March 2017. The blue iridescent markers and digits look superb, especially in daylight, and under lights. However, they do not glow at night.   

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Diesel DZ4318 2_zpshqut9l3y.jpg

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I've not worn a watch in over 20 years.

Was bought an Apple Watch as a present 2 weeks ago. It's been on my wrist ever since. (Apart from when charging). 

rocktron said:

I bought three Diesel Chronographs over a period of two years. These are big watches – 52mm in diameter excluding crown.

1. Diesel DZ4290 – This one is in chrome with a black face and leather band. I replaced the leather band, from new, with an OEM Diesel 26mm metal band.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Diesel%20DZ4290%201_zpstp37um9f.jpg

2. Diesel DZ4360 – This watch is actually nicer looking than what is shown in the picture. It looks superb in gold. Unfortunately, they do not come with a black face.  

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Diesel%20Mega%20Chief%20DZ4360%20Chronograph%204%2052mm_zpsxbtddgzu.jpg

3. Diesel DZ4318 – I saw this one in Macy’s in New York during Thanksgiving  2016. I knew that if I was patient and waited, I could get it at a good price. I bought it in March 2017. The blue iridescent markers and digits look superb, especially in daylight, and under lights. However, they do not glow at night.   

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Diesel DZ4318 2_zpshqut9l3y.jpg

Crikey - that's HUGE! Any wrist pics?

I tried a Big Pilot in the IWC shop. That was 47mm iirc and already hilarious!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited May 2017
    It's been on my wrist ever since. (Apart from when charging). 
    At doors? At a rhino armed only with a spear?

Personally I only take my watch off when showering - though my Terry Morgan Oyster Perpetual is water-proof - so I don't really need to.... 

Personally I only take my watch off when showering - though my Terry Morgan Oyster Perpetual is water-proof - so I don't really need to.... 
    Is it like this one?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Is it like this one?

Nah, that has a Gibson logo. Can't *possibly* be a Terry Morgan ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28251
    That reminds me - I've got one of those Gibson watches. Horrible thing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    That reminds me - I've got one of those Gibson watches. Horrible thing.
    Sure it's not a fake? ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28251
    It's got a COA.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    @Stickyfiddle:  Crikey - that's HUGE! Any wrist pics?

REPLY: The other oversize watches I like are a few from the Invicta Reserve Venom range, In particular, the 17634 and the mirror gold finish 17635 with blue face. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Invicta-Mens-Reserve-Venom-Gold-IP-Swiss-Day-Retrograde-Chrono-Blue-Dial-Watch-/142361688359?hash=item21256af927:g:HY0AAOSwurZZD6Xx

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/DIESEL DZ4318 on Wrist 1_zps4jeoahw8.jpg

• Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited May 2017
    I really like watches but I never actually wear any so I find it hard to justify spending money on them, that said I do have a few, nothing expensive other than the Steinhart Mehcanical watch I have and even that was nothing compared to other watches.

I did however just buy this because I really like old battered watches and I'm a big fan of the Vostok Russian watches.

Old Is Gold
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    rocktron said:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but the thing about these giant watches is that they have huge cases but only a small cheap Chinese movement inside a large plastic spacer, the stem and pushers are overlong just to reach it.

If you look at the dial you will see that the sub dials are all crushed in together, (unlike something like a Speedmaster)  so if you draw a circle around the edges of the sub dials you will see the size of the movement compared to the case size.

In their defence they are cheap so really a fashion watch rather than haute horologie.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    @Neil: No, no, there is no misunderstanding. I am fully aware that in the World of Swiss Watches, these would be frowned upon as fashion watches. I bought them because I liked their design. and generally, I prefer oversize watches much bigger than 40mm in diameter. These Diesel models are actually well built, and can be obtained at low cost (around £115), if one is patient to shop around. I noticed that eBay dealer prices are trending much higher.   

Have you seen how much it costs to service and reseal an expensive Swiss watch?    

I have a vintage Seiko Moonphase Chronograph (which is a genuine collectors' timepiece), Casio Edifice Chronographs, two Citizen Calibre 2100 Ecodrives, and two Invicta Reserve Venoms. These have Japanese movements, except the Invictas which have Swiss movements.  

I looked at an Invicta Thunderbolt, but the importation cost from the USA to the UK is prohibitive. Anyway, the model which I liked is now hard to find.

As you can see, I choose oversize watches of a similar design. LOL 

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Casio Edifice EFR-549SG-1A 19th June 2016 Cost 113_zps4d0fdpup.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Citizen Calibre 2100 AV0031-59A_zps6dugytg6.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/Invicta 6112 1_zpstsaqcm40.jpg

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    @stickyfiddle JAYZIZ that IWC is lovely. Nice work sir! 
  • My citizen eco drive is a very nice, simple watch that (imo) looks great, but the price point (sub £100) does show. 

The glass scratches. It's not scratch resistant at all. 

The movement is a Japan - e101... Blah. It's fine and generally works but a few times the date and day dial has gotten "stuck" midway through its turn. Fixes itself within a day, but I doubt that'd happen on a more expensive watch. This is the base level eco drive movement, so it is to be expected that it's more cheaply built. 

It's a pain in the bum to change date - it's a silly "pull it out halfway for date, all the way for time" and it's just fiddly. 

However, it's now about 18 months old and hasn't stopped. It's accidentally been showered, more than once, so the water resistance is sound. It has a new strap, a blue leather one :) and it keeps good time. 

So, for a budget watch for someone who doesn't want to worry about batteries but thinks an automatic that cheap might be a bit naff, it's still a good shout. It was chosen purely for its looks to be honest - it's hard to find a plain, simple watch face that's clean and clear with a simple date box. 
    edited May 2017
    @ThePrettyDamned: It seems that you have encountered the common problem where the push/pull mechanism does not engage to change the day/date. They are usually not broken but can be fiddly on some watches, and as you have discovered, miraculously, they seem to eventually work properly.

For budget plain watches, look at the Sekonda range. They also do a large gold chronograph with black face and leather band which looks classy.    
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    rocktron said:
    @Neil: No, no, there is no misunderstanding. I am fully aware that in the World of Swiss Watches, these would be frowned upon as fashion watches. I bought them because I liked their design. and generally, I prefer oversize watches much bigger than 40mm in diameter. These Diesel models are actually well built, and can be obtained at low cost (around £115), if one is patient to shop around. I noticed that eBay dealer prices are trending much higher.   

Have you seen how much it costs to service and reseal an expensive Swiss watch?    

I do know yes, I generally pay anywhere between £40- £100 with my bloke.

Just as well, as I have around a hundred vintage Swiss watches alongside around 40 - 50 vintage Seiko's. ;)

Any quartz, I do myself.

Interesting article on female celebrities wearing expensive watches:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4493604/Why-new-arm-candy-s-wrist.html ;

Aha!!! So, that was why Nicole Kidman was clapping like a seal at the Oscars!!!  :)