Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Neil said:
    If you want to sell it @Basher ?
    ;)
    Thanks but I'm keeping hold of it for now. It'll probably go next year, along with most of the guitars if my daughter goes to University.

It's the only souvenir I have left from a time when I had a few bob in my arse pocket. Nice car, clothes, watch etc. Travelled about quite a bit and generally saw a little bit of the world.

These days I very rarely venture more than 20 miles from home, passport expired a decade ago and struggle to get by on part time hours at just above the living wage. Life's a funny old thing....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Basher said:
    Neil said:
    If you want to sell it @Basher ?
    ;)
    Thanks but I'm keeping hold of it for now. It'll probably go next year, along with most of the guitars if my daughter goes to University.

It's the only souvenir I have left from a time when I had a few bob in my arse pocket. Nice car, clothes, watch etc. Travelled about quite a bit and generally saw a little bit of the world.

These days I very rarely venture more than 20 miles from home, passport expired a decade ago and struggle to get by on part time hours at just above the living wage. Life's a funny old thing....
    No problem at all mate.

All the best.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neil said:
    As with guitars, I prefer old stuff and have a bit of a thing for tuning fork watches. They were developed for the NASA space programme as, obviously, a normal automatic watch is useless in zero gravity. They have a little tuning fork inside which vibrates 300 times a second. They were quickly eclipsed when quartz watches were invented, but for a few years they were top of the tree. The second hands on them move round in a continuous, smooth sweep. This is my daily driver, an Omega Constellation Chronograph.

Interesting watches.

They were not designed for the space programme because of automatics being useless in zero gravity though. Auto's work fine in space. ;)

NASA wanted a chronograph for the Apollo programme and as auto chrono's were not invented until 1969 they had to look at what was available.
    The Omega Speedmaster was chosen as it did best in the rigourous testing that NASA put a variety of makes of watches through.

Bulova Accutrons were used as instrument panel clocks however.

Omega licensed the TF movement from Bulova as the f300 and made them for a while but as you say with the advent of quartz TF's became a thing of the past.
    So what exactly is a chronograph? Is it just a more accurate watch? And is it the same as a Chronometer?
    No, as well as normal timekeeping a  chronograph has stop watch functions that usually show elapsed seconds, minutes  and hours (only the first two on a twin register) .

Here's a pic of a Racing dial MKII Speedy of mine which is a good indicator as it has different colours for its functions.

Once you start the stopwatch (top right button) the elapsed Seconds are shown  on the large orange centre seconds hand, the minutes on the RH subdial and the hours at the bottom. Another push will stop the stopwatch so you can read off the elapsed time. Pushing the lower button will reset it to zero.

The left hand white handed subdial is the normal seconds hand.

Hope that helps.

• Ah - cheers. I was getting chronometer and chronograph mixed up.
    Ah - cheers. I was getting chronometer and chronograph mixed up.
    No problem mate.

I read about your new Fender amp on the forum and didn't have a clue what you were talking about re caps etc so it goes both ways.
  • My current squeeze is this

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/AA0D49A8-8796-451B-86CA-658E006F7F4D_zpszqma0qwf.jpg

Hamilton Jazzmaster - an obvious choice given my predeliction for guitars of the same name - ETA movement and nice exhibition back

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/CA82C211-CB90-45AB-9E3F-D1E6E9FB2A81_zpsrt0bq7tb.jpg

£650 from creation

I also have this but at 42mm I find it a bit too small so it'll be on the block soon. Cracking watch though

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/A103E61E-B118-41F5-9470-3CC327CE098D_zpsr7ntsme1.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow for the JM. They used to annoy me when they came up on eBay while I searched for guitars, but now I'm a fan. Same 2824 movement as my Khaki, I assume.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • No it's the valjoux 7750
  • That Archie Luxury chap up there is a bit of a prick isn't he.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I spent ages on creation watches. some nice stuff,
    My V key is broken
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    the_jaffa said:
    That Archie Luxury chap up there is a bit of a prick isn't he.
    I thought that too, then I found out that he's a paid actor used by the company to promote the brand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Ended up buying 

Is heavy enough that it could kill a man if it fell on them... which might translate to - I've not worn a watch in a long while and getting used to it is strange :-)

However, it's already come in handy during a maths test so I could check how long I had left to do the questions :)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I always wanted an Omega and I promised myself one as a graduation gift to myself. However, my gift came early as I stumbled across this in a charity shop:image
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^
    Nice catch!
    Neil said:
    ^^^
    Nice catch!
    Thanks. I've had it about 3 weeks now. It keeps perfect time and I don't get tired of looking at it. Well chuffed!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Oof! That is fooking lovely! 
    beed84 said:
    Neil said:
    ^^^
    Nice catch!
    Thanks. I've had it about 3 weeks now. It keeps perfect time and I don't get tired of looking at it. Well chuffed!
    That one of yours will date from the '70's and probably be a calibre 6xx movement.

Vintage plain Geneves like that are a classic IMO.

Got a few of them here.

Here are my silver dials...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ They are really nice. I'd love a silver dialled one, they're very smart!

With regard to the movement in mine, I'm really no expert but after a bit of research (although I've not had the back off) the evidence suggests it's a 1030 caliber. Don't know what this means but either way, it works very well.

Also, this is a seriously noob question but I wind it every morning and night. Is that okay?
    beed84 said:

With regard to the movement in mine, I'm really no expert but after a bit of research (although I've not had the back off) the evidence suggests it's a 1030 caliber. Don't know what this means but either way, it works very well.

Also, this is a seriously noob question but I wind it every morning and night. Is that okay?
     Ah right, the 1030 you have is a later replacement for the 60x series, not quite as robust IMO but still good.

Re winding, the power reserve will be around 40 hours if in tip top condition so a full wind every morning will be sufficient.

Just wind it carefully until the winder reaches its stop.

There is nothing like a mechanical watch is there?
    Neil said:
    beed84 said:

Ah right, the 1030 you have is a later replacement for the 60x series, not quite as robust IMO but still good.

Re winding, the power reserve will be around 40 hours if in tip top condition so a full wind every morning will be sufficient.

Just wind it carefully until the winder reaches its stop.

There is nothing like a mechanical watch is there?
    Ah that's great, thanks for the tip. Good to know that I have a reasonably good movement at least.

And I totally agree. It never ceases to amaze me how all those moving cogs and various other components manage to keep perfect time. More so considering the watch is 40 years old!