Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• oddballoddball Frets: 248
    IWC Big Pilots Watch - £10k of awesomeness (unfortunately i don't own one :(

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z257/oddball13/BigPilot8c5b1024e3821702e5e4f9107988aaf7_zps7164d866.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    I might get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pebble-Black-paper-Android-iPhone/dp/B00BKEQBI0
    I suspect most of you won't approve...

I'm actually tempted by one of these myself to go with my phone...

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/smartwatch-2-sw2/#black

The only thing it's missing is a microphone to make calls and look all Mission Impossible and shiz...

:P

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• stedsted Frets: 259
    I've had a few, had three nice ones at the same time, a Breitling Navitimer, Tag Monza Chrono and an Omega Speedmaster Anniversary, I just have the Breitling now but I've had it for over 6 years and wear it every day, it's tough as a nut and I wouldn't swap it for any other watch though I would eventually like to own a submariner too, they are pretty understated and classic timepieces.

My best advice would be to buy a used one and buy one of the classic designs, Tag Carrera or Monaco, Navitimer, Speedmaster/Seamaster, always buy from a reputable source and insist on papers too, its highly unlikely you will lose money if you ever decide to part with it. I don't wear any other jewellery but a nice watch is one of my few indulgences.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited May 2014
    viz said:

Yeah, c'mon Sticky, you know joneve is right, you want it really!

Anyway, this really isn't the place to come when you want to be persuaded NOT to buy something, now is it?

@chillidoggy I thought you were banned from threads that might encourage people to spend a lot of dosh?

Absolutely not, Viz.

And as Mrs. C is completely and utterly useless when it comes any resistance to buying blokey things. Anything to do with cars, guitars, amps, watches etc and it's open season.

Not having the usual spousal "check and control" can be a problem, however. Financially.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3628
    edited May 2014
    oddball said:
    IWC Big Pilots Watch - £10k of awesomeness (unfortunately i don't own one :(

They are nice but expensive and not really a pilots watch.

This MK XV of mine has a clear lineage as a pilots watch from the older models that were used by the RAF. 

Which is the pilot's watch that has the face rotated so that it can be read whilst holding the steering wheel?

Which is the pilot's watch that has the face rotated so that it can be read whilst holding the steering wheel?

Not a pilots watch AFAIK but quite a few watches were made with the dial orientated at 90 degrees for driving like certain models of the Omega Chronostop and Dynamic. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27115
    Been on the googles working out specifically what I want but can't afford. Have discovered Bremont. A bit in love...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Been on the googles working out specifically what I want but can't afford. Have discovered Bremont. A bit in love...

Fancy looking but under the bonnet a stock ETA movement as can be found in pretty cheap watches. 

Second hand values drop like a stone as well. 

If you are in that price range there are far better options IMO. 

It's still not a Submariner............................

:-\"

Neil said:

Fancy looking but under the bonnet a stock ETA movement as can be found in pretty cheap watches. 

Second hand values drop like a stone as well. 

If you are in that price range there are far better options IMO. 
    I'm not going to buy one - they're silly money and no history. But it's a good design.

It's still not a Submariner............................

:-\"
    I know, I know..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheapskate.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I'm not entirely sure what the problem with ETA movements is. They have an excellent reputation and seem to supply most of the quality brands (OK not Rolex or other 'look at my watch' companies). I personally want a watch that is well made, looks good and keeps good time. I have an original TAG F1 and a 2000 Professional, neither have given any trouble in the 20 odd years I have had them. Good enough for me.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    edited May 2014
    Richardj said:
    I'm not entirely sure what the problem with ETA movements is. They have an excellent reputation and seem to supply most of the quality brands (OK not Rolex or other 'look at my watch' companies). I personally want a watch that is well made, looks good and keeps good time. I have an original TAG F1 and a 2000 Professional, neither have given any trouble in the 20 odd years I have had them. Good enough for me.
    I don't think anybody has a problem with ETA movements, they are good quality movements. It's just that we know that they are standard movements and can be bought for £100 upwards. There's no magic "in house" fairy dust to consider. So when you see a watch with a std ETA movement costing 5x the price of it's movement, you start to think hmm, what exactly am I paying for here?
    Cristopher Ward are a good example of how to use a Std ETA movement and price it sensibly IMHO.

Oh and good choice Sticky ;) Your only problem now is that if you think that this one is just a "stop gap" till you get a "proper" watch, you'll be waiting a long time before it breaks :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, it meant to be pretty solid. Got my hands on a good fake while shopping too- pretty much indistinguishable from the real one apart from the feel of the bezel's "click"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    FX_Munkee;250241" said:

Oh and good choice Sticky ;) Your only problem now is that if you think that this one is just a "stop gap" till you get a "proper" watch, you'll be waiting a long time before it breaks :)
    I don't get how a good looking watch that will last for ages is a problem.
    >:D<
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Omega Seamasters are the most unbreakable watches going. I have one and a Speedmaster.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Have a look at Oris as well. I have had mine over 20 years , wear it every day. I found Rolex too big and too fat. The Oris was slimmer and more comfortable to wear...
    FX_Munkee said:
    Richardj said:
    I don't think anybody has a problem with ETA movements, they are good quality movements. It's just that we know that they are standard movements and can be bought for £100 upwards. There's no magic "in house" fairy dust to consider. So when you see a watch with a std ETA movement costing 5x the price of it's movement, you start to think hmm, what exactly am I paying for here?
    Cristopher Ward are a good example of how to use a Std ETA movement and price it sensibly IMHO.

Wisdom given. Exactly right.

If you are paying a lot of money for a watch you want a movement that is exclusive not something that can be found in very much cheaper models otherwise what are you paying for?