Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3628
    Niallmo said:
    I like quirky ones. I read about the Russian made 1970's Sekonda Autos and decided I needed one so again, cheap on eBay came this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/9c7d929ad947f2dfa404f0f9b71b0fde_zps7a250490.jpg The other one is an Ostvok Amphibian mechanical wind. Czech made (IIRC) version of the more famous Vostok watches.
    Great stuff.

It shows you can buy interesting  vintage mechanical watches far cheaper than a piece of modern cheap quartz tat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    Some gorgeous watches here1 If you're buying a watch though it just has to be mechanical and Swiss made. I have a couple of Rolex's and a Zenith El Primo (this has the same movement that Rolex used in the Daytona until a couple of years ago. My favourite watch is a late 30's Heuer. that I bought in Germany it had been owned by a pilot in the Luftwaffe during the war and I bought it directly from his surviving family. In fact Heuers are another good buy they have reissued most of their classic 30's, 50's and 60's chronographs and have even gone as far as including the old 'Heuer' script on the face, rather than the awful 'TAG-Heuer' the current watches have.
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    This could be a slippery slope... After the recent watch threads I've been looking at watches, and my 30th is coming up. Had a wander around the Tag Heuer shop last night. Some of them are lovely, but all it's actually done is confirm that I want a proper Submariner, and I can't justify that kind of spend on a watch, probably ever. Boo!

Not sure the point of this thread really. Let's talk about watches anyway!
    If you like Submariners, have a look at an Eterna kon-Tiki. Eterna are almost as well made as Rolex's, and are a company with a long history (they helped to develop the classic automatic rotor system that has now been universaly adopted. Kon-Tiki's look very similar to submariners, but are a lot cheaper.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    I went and got the very same model, the Seiko "Sea Urchin". Found a UK place (Yorkshire Watches) that sells them for not a lot more than Creationwatches, and none of the potential hassle if I have to call on the warranty. It's a very classy-looking machine. I liked my Vostok Amphibian but it was gaining around a minute a day and I was resetting every other day at best. The Seiko gains 4 seconds a day!

The only problem is I'm £130 further away from my next guitar now...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Mechanical watches tend to lose or gain some time every week.  This is something you learn to live with.  If you want absolute accuracy, there are lots of electronic watches to be had for a fiver each.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    Yes, I know that, but the difference between having to adjust my Vostok practically every day and the Seiko about every ten days was a pleasant surprise. I'm comparing a £40 watch with a £130 watch, not a £3000 watch here.

I just love the idea that I'm keeping a watch ticking by just wearing it -  so much better than putting a battery in it and waiting for it to run down. That arrangement of springs, wheels and cogs is a marvel of engineering.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    I know someone with a genuine Mickey Mouse Rolex.  Apparently given out at a Disney premiere to the glitterati.

It is pretty cool.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3628
    Cacofonix said:
    I know someone with a genuine Mickey Mouse Rolex.  Apparently given out at a Disney premiere to the glitterati.

It is pretty cool.
    They are all fakes.

Even if a real Rolex, the dials are repainted. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    'Genuine Mickey Mouse Rolex'. Bit of a contradiction in terms, there!

• NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    Cripes, that is really nice.  I am going to get one!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    edited June 2014

My current watch Swiss made ETA movement.  Sapphire crystal. 

Not really a watch person, I have a few but this is the most expensive one.

imageimage

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879

I also have this

imageimageimage

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Oh god. That Parins is well fit! 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27114
    Love both of those. Steinharts are impossible to get in the UAE else I would've thought about one, but I'm happy :)

And while we're doing shiny photos...

Seiko "Sea Urchin" watch

Seiko "Sea Urchin" movement

And my Mondaine, which hasn't been worn for a couple of weeks now but is still lovely :)

Mondaine watch
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Love both of those. Steinharts are impossible to get in the UAE else I would've thought about one, but I'm happy :)

And while we're doing shiny photos...

Seiko "Sea Urchin" watch

Seiko "Sea Urchin" movement

And my Mondaine, which hasn't been worn for a couple of weeks now but is still lovely :)

Mondaine watch
    Love the fact that your Mondaine has FFS on the face! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited June 2014
    :D

In 5 years I'd never noticed that. Now I won't be able to ignore it!
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    That mondaine is gorgeous

Is it full size ie 43mm width
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Neil;263785" said:
    Cacofonix said:

It is pretty cool.

They are all fakes.

Even if a real Rolex, the dials are repainted.

Nope.  It's real.  Commissioned, not repurposed.  I think Mr Walter Disney had some clout, even with the masters of the horological craft.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Damn this forum making want things I didn't know I needed.
    My V key is broken
    That mondaine is gorgeous

Is it full size ie 43mm width
    It's a 42 iirc. Most of theirs are teeny or huge uber-designed things that are very Braun-esque, but they actually look a bit hipster when you put them on. This gets it just right, and adds the day/date for practicality. They don't do the exact same model any more - the new version has longer uglier lugs.

Most (including this one) are only quartz, which is a bit of shame. Mind, it'd cost triple if it was an auto