What Squier Would A Fender Master Builder Buy?

What's Hot
JD50JD50 Frets: 660

Interesting watch & some good tips on evaluating a purchase....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    edited June 2019
    Yet he 'chose' the guitar before plugging any of them in... hmmmm... not sure he was 100% invested in this task...

I like Ron though, he talks an honest talk and definitely knows what's what.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    I enjoyed that a lot and I thought he made his choice on the important stuff. They’re all going to have pretty cheap and replaceable pickups so
    build and feel is where it’s at surely? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    dazzajl said:
    I enjoyed that a lot and I thought he made his choice on the important stuff. They’re all going to have pretty cheap and replaceable pickups so
    build and feel is where it’s at surely? 

Definitely it's the most important factor at this level, but the truth is that *most* people buying these guitars are never gonna change anything out (until they have to because it failed, I had a Squier, believe me I know!)
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 191
    That's a cool video to see how a luthier would approach guitar evaluation.. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    So in summary, Squiers are bluddy good, especially for the money.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Thanks for posting this, very cool :)  Thorn comes across really well, he's honest about how much he likes them, you'd imagine his bosses wouldn't be too impressed :)

I like his TRAIN setups memory aid too, it works, it's stuck in my brain now :)
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660

Interesting to note at 15.55 in the video Ron says his number one guitar is a Squier Strat with a basswood body.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    JD50 said:

Interesting to note at 15.55 in the video Ron says his number one guitar is a Squier Strat with a basswood body.
    That made me laugh a bit. He works on some of the most desirable high-end guitars on the planet, and he's happy with his good ol' trusty Squire from the 80s. Hey, if it's the right guitar, it's the right guitar!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Bookmarked, will check this out later.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Interesting video, I think that his approach was right. If the guy feels nice to play things like pickups and pots etc can be changed to suit the players taste.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    clarkefan said:
    Thanks for posting this, very cool :)  Thorn comes across really well, he's honest about how much he likes them, you'd imagine his bosses wouldn't be too impressed :)

I like his TRAIN setups memory aid too, it works, it's stuck in my brain now :)
    Well, his bosses make those guitars in the video too.

I doubt anyone who would buy a Custom Shop would see that and decide to buy a Squier instead, but people might well see it and buy a Squier over a non-Fender owned company's clone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    Surely, an 85 Squier Strat is a 60's RI, thats all that was coming out of Japan Squier at the time. I noticed he mentioned heavy guitars not being great, like Gibson LP's for instance?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My '85 Squier is a 70s style. If I were buying it new today, I'd swap the pickups, the trem block and saddles. The rest would be fine.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Probably a '57, as he mentioned it had a maple neck.

Great video, very enjoyable.
    normula1 said:
    My '85 Squier is a 70s style. If I were buying it new today, I'd swap the pickups, the trem block and saddles. The rest would be fine.
    My bad, the 82 Strats were 57 and 62 RI guitars, and none of them got exported to America.

This site always makes for interesting reading.
    https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2011/12/truth-about-1980s-squier-strats.html

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    robgilmo said:
    Surely, an 85 Squier Strat is a 60's RI, thats all that was coming out of Japan Squier at the time. I noticed he mentioned heavy guitars not being great, like Gibson LP's for instance?
    My LP weighs the same as my Strat
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I found it weird he didn't talk about how they resonated or sounded unplugged. I think that's the biggest thing. Setup can be tweaked, pickups can be changed, glossy necks can be sanded if that's what you like. But if it's dead when you strum it, not much you can do. 

He may be of the opinion that unplugged tone doesn't affect the electric tone... but I'd be surprised if Fender's top luthier took that view.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    I found it weird he didn't talk about how they resonated or sounded unplugged. I think that's the biggest thing. Setup can be tweaked, pickups can be changed, glossy necks can be sanded if that's what you like. But if it's dead when you strum it, not much you can do. 

He may be of the opinion that unplugged tone doesn't affect the electric tone... but I'd be surprised if Fender's top luthier took that view.
    Squiers are usually pretty good for that.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Squiers are usually pretty good for that.
    They should tell Fender their secrets.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Set up can effect resonance though.