What Squier Would A Fender Master Builder Buy?

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Also, I thought it was surprising to hear him say that he liked the skinny necks of the Squiers. Most people don’t seem to like them and prefer something more substantial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Also, I thought it was surprising to hear him say that he liked the skinny necks of the Squiers. Most people don’t seem to like them and prefer something more substantial.
    I found it surprising too since I have heard a lot of people say they prefer thick but it's only on online forums I've heard that, is that also where you hear it or have you also heard it from pro players / builders etc.?

I much prefer thin necks and wondered if the people who prefer thick are doing it for tonal reasons since I found it surprising anyone would prefer the feel of thicker.
    I found it weird he didn't talk about how they resonated or sounded unplugged. I think that's the biggest thing. Setup can be tweaked, pickups can be changed, glossy necks can be sanded if that's what you like. But if it's dead when you strum it, not much you can do. 

He may be of the opinion that unplugged tone doesn't affect the electric tone... but I'd be surprised if Fender's top luthier took that view.
    It's so hard to know what to take from a video like this due to so much dishonesty, or at least lack of transparency, on things like this.

It could be that he was frivolous in his choice (basing it on colour) and only really cared about neck feel and setup because from his position as an expert in the field, he knows that all the online speculation about tone voodoo is mythical.

On the other hand, he might not have cared much and not taken the video seriously because he knows no Squier is going to sound that good so was just demonstrating how he'd choose the best of a bad bunch.

Could even be an advert to make it look like all Squiers are great, you just need to find one with the specs you like.

I think, in the age of professional Youtubers, it's very difficult to trust anything they say because it's so often a paid advert disguised as advice.

One of my favourite Youtubers, Tim Pierce, made a video about how the String Butler device does such a great job of fixing the tuning stability problem on Gibson guitars (a problem he's mentioned he has with his many Gibsons plenty of times) yet since that video, he's used loads of Gibson guitars and none of them has had a String Butler on it. So did he later find out they don't really help that much after all but just not bother to update the viewers? Or was the video itself just a paid advert?
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    edited June 2019
    I found it weird he didn't talk about how they resonated or sounded unplugged. I think that's the biggest thing. Setup can be tweaked, pickups can be changed, glossy necks can be sanded if that's what you like. But if it's dead when you strum it, not much you can do. 

He may be of the opinion that unplugged tone doesn't affect the electric tone... but I'd be surprised if Fender's top luthier took that view.
    ??He did  saying excactly that ??
    if it's lively unplugged and rings unplugged it's a good un...or am i hearing things ????
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited June 2019
    thegummy said:
    I found it surprising too since I have heard a lot of people say they prefer thick but it's only on online forums I've heard that, is that also where you hear it or have you also heard it from pro players / builders etc.?

I much prefer thin necks and wondered if the people who prefer thick are doing it for tonal reasons since I found it surprising anyone would prefer the feel of thicker.
    I guess it all comes down to the uniqueness of each individuals hand in a lot of cases. I personally struggle with smaller necks (cramps) & giant necks, but I'm definitely very comfortable with a medium neck & a medium action.

There will be some folk out there who do so strictly for tonal reasons, but I'd not put my comfort after mild tonal variance.

Edit: Turns out the neck profile of my PRS is described as "Wide Fat." While it definitely feels a bit bigger than my Fender, it's definitely not uncomfortable. I guess my preference would be Medium > Fat > Thin.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    thegummy said:

Well, yes - it’s mainly on here I hear people say that! The only Squier I have is a CV bass, and I wouldn’t really describe that as slim. My MIM Classic 60s Lacquer Strat on the other hand is pretty skinny - uncharacteristically so, compared to numerous other Classic Series guitars I have experience of. I think I’m lucky in that I get along with the neck profiles of all the guitars I own. Not better or worse, just different.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9375
    I’m confused by this video. I thought the classic vibe was the best guitar in the world ever ;)
    Seriously, he’s chosen the cheapest guitar as his favourite. Goes to show it’s about the right guitar not the most expensive
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    Squiers are usually pretty good for that.
    They should tell Fender their secrets.
    Given the price of some of Fender's bolted together wood and metal offerings, they should ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:
    I’m confused by this video. I thought the classic vibe was the best guitar in the world ever ;)
    Seriously, he’s chosen the cheapest guitar as his favourite. Goes to show it’s about the right guitar not the most expensive
    Lol that's funny, they definitely are the most hyped guitars I've ever seen.

I always try to be careful of internet hype, though do go with it sometimes.

I think sometimes it becomes a standard of knowledge that people then repeat to feel knowledgeable. E.g. someone saying the classic vibe is so great.

Not saying hype is never justified, I bought the Bernie Marsden due to hype and it really is amazing.

Just saying that if you see 50 forum posts saying the classic vibe is amazing, 30 of those might just be saying it because they read the first 20 and accepted it as established knowledge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    thegummy said:
    chris78 said:
    Lol that's funny, they definitely are the most hyped guitars I've ever seen.

I always try to be careful of internet hype, though do go with it sometimes.

I think sometimes it becomes a standard of knowledge that people then repeat to feel knowledgeable. E.g. someone saying the classic vibe is so great.

Not saying hype is never justified, I bought the Bernie Marsden due to hype and it really is amazing.

Just saying that if you see 50 forum posts saying the classic vibe is amazing, 30 of those might just be saying it because they read the first 20 and accepted it as established knowledge.
    I had a CV Tele and it genuinely was great. My experience is that they offer a solid and gig worthy instrument at a sensible price.

The fact that the CV came third of three and the cheaper guitars got the nod was the best part of the video for me. A refreshing take. 
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    robgilmo said:
    Set up can effect resonance though.
    .......and the colour  ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Is it just me or does anyone else sometimes see “fender masterbuilder” and read something quite different....?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I have had several Classic Vibe strats ,a Simon Neil and a 60th and a CVC Tele .Fine guitars .Didnt like the necks or frets that much .My favorite Squier apart from the original JV I  had i when they came out is the Joe Trohman Tele.I still have that much adored neck on my strat although it has a completely buggered  truss rod nut.For some reason it suits me more than any othe r.It may be the 12 radius medium jumbos 22 frets ...who knows.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9868
    wesker123 said:
    robgilmo said:
    Why would the setup affect the colour?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    wesker123 said:
    robgilmo said:
    Clearly the action and relief will affect the tone.....
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18968
    Should this thread be officially sticky now?
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    wesker123 said:
    robgilmo said:
    Even pick up height will effect resonance.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9868
    robgilmo said:
    wesker123 said:
    robgilmo said:
    I thought meant the colour as in the hue, was just being silly
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    chris78 said:
    Indeed - the contemporary he liked because it was a bit different I think.

When you see dozens of reliced sunburst strats day in day out, however high end, you must almost doze off sometimes.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    robgilmo said:
    wesker123 said:
    robgilmo said:
    I thought meant the colour as in the hue, was just being silly
    Me too. Tone as in colour tone