Derivative bands?

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9868
    edited June 2019
    thegummy said:

The Clash / The Libertines
    They kind of speak the same language maybe but I've never quite seen this one myself even though a fair few people have mentioned it. I'd say Libertines have more in common with Chas n Dave than the Clash in terms of the tunes and such.

And in a similar vain, I'd like to nominate Arctic Monkeys as being a 21st century electrified George Formby
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

They kind of speak the same language maybe but I've never quite seen this one myself even though a fair few people have mentioned it. I'd say Libertines have more in common with Chas n Dave than the Clash in terms of the tunes and such.

And in a similar vain, I'd like to nominate Arctic Monkeys as being a 21st century electrified George Formby
    First time I heard a Clash song my instant thought was "so that's who the Libertines are aping"

If I didn't put it on myself I'd definitely have thought it was a Libertines song
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18966
    thegummy said:

And in a similar vain, I'd like to nominate Arctic Monkeys as being a 21st century electrified George Forby
    The Arctic Monkeys are vain, but not sure they're such masters of the language as George Forby.
    Turned out nice again.
    Mother!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:

And in a similar vain, I'd like to nominate Arctic Monkeys as being a 21st century electrified George Forby
    The Arctic Monkeys are vain, but not sure they're such masters of the language as George Forby.
    Turned out nice again.
    Mother!!!
    I didn't say the Arctic Monkeys were as good as him, just similar. His songs played with electric guitars sounds rather similar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Haim are derivative of Vic and Bob in the style of a club singer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    Always thought Blur made a career out of emulating other bands -- first the baggy Manchester bands, then the Kinks, then Pavement.

But Embrace were the worst for that.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Melanie/The Wurzels
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited June 2019
    Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster sound just like Tool
    I hate that band.  ;)
    HerrMetal said:
    HerrMetal said:
    ICBM said:
    Kingdom Come

@HerrMetal ;
    @ICBM is talented, but I never had him down as a ventriloquist.

Would that be Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come?

Just used the text replacement to indicate both times that these bands were hugely Led Zep influenced. Kingdom Come were a much hyped late 80's Zep-alike. It's a crazy world but no Arthur Brown.
    That's the problem when talking about things that are named the same, it gets confusing.
    It's a long listen & isn't for all, but significantly predates your version of KK by a significant margin ( as if that matters).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Zt1hxvduY
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

First time I heard a Clash song my instant thought was "so that's who the Libertines are aping"

If I didn't put it on myself I'd definitely have thought it was a Libertines song
    How is it possible to hear The Liberines before The Clash! Are you very young?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

I'm fairly sure I heard Libertines before the Clash to be honest and I'm thirty something
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Time travel. It's a thing with ' the youth'.

Iamnobody said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Time travel. It's a thing with ' the youth'.
    PS, I rather like the Libertines.
    Can't stand me now ?
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    After reading some of the bands mentioned on this thread, I feel I've made good musical choices and missed nothing........ now where's that Brothers In Arms LP?

Incidentally what did happen to Jack Bogg, anyone know or care?
    Iamnobody said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Not very young (unfortunately) but young enough that the Clash were before my time. I had always heard of them but didn't know anyone who was massively in to them in the hard media days and since the internet came along I just never got round to checking them out til much later.

The Libertines were at their peak when I was a late teenager though so was impossible to miss them.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Just to add some context to my comment. Should I Stay or Should I go was used on a Levi’s advert. If you were alive in 1991 and owned a TV you’d heard The Clash even if it was unknowingly.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Just to add some context to my comment. Should I Stay or Should I go was used on a Levi’s advert. If you were alive in 1991 and owned a TV you’d heard The Clash even if it was unknowingly.
    I'm sure it's possible I heard a song unknowingly in the background. I didn't, 15 years later though, hear the Libertines and think "they sound like that band from that advert from when I was 6!" but I did, 25 years later, hear the Clash and think it sounded a lot like the Libertines lol :)

Something you might be even more surprised at - except hearing the massive hits casually on the radio or in the background - I only actually listened to Prince for the first time in the past year.
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Radiohead + Queen/ Muse
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 898
    DaevidJ said:
    Radiohead + Queen/ Muse
    I can remember when my niece was 8 she correctly identified that Muse are the pop version of Rush.

As @thegummy has said, is the correct answer not 'all of them'.

If a band was not derivative they would be very difficult to listen to.  The least derivative guitar player I can think of is Sonny Sharrock but he doesn't get much of a mention on here.

Bruce Springsteen's new album is his best in years and years, but it sounds like his very well written take on a Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb album.

To use a cliché 'people don't know what they like, they like what they know.'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3638
    Actually I always thought that the Arctic Monkeys were just a northern flavoured Libertines.