Used, non-bank-breaking Porsche or similar - what are you experiences?

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyO said:
    In case anyone starts to peg me
    Steady on old chap.

Bye!

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    goldtop said:
    Sounds like you've got the Porsche itch and there's only one way to scratch it. :)

On the Cayman... there'd always be that nagging feeling that it's not 'the' Porsche. No matter how good it is.
    That’s what folk said about the 924 and 944. But looking at their prices now proves otherwise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    TimmyO said:
    In case anyone starts to peg me
    Steady on old chap.
    a boy can dream 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    fandango said:
    goldtop said:
    Sounds like you've got the Porsche itch and there's only one way to scratch it. :)

On the Cayman... there'd always be that nagging feeling that it's not 'the' Porsche. No matter how good it is.
    That’s what folk said about the 924 and 944. But looking at their prices now proves otherwise.
    I wasn't talking about value/price as much as the 'feeling'. It's a big part of the mid-life-crisis car. That moment when you park up, walk away to wherever you're going, but something makes you turn around and look at it. You do that because it's under your skin somehow. (Silly - it's just a car, after all, but...)

No boy today is growing up with a Cayman poster blutacked on his bedroom wall. For those of us old enough, the 911 was a poster hero.

It's a bit heart-vs-head.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    goldtop said:
    fandango said:
    goldtop said:

I wasn't talking about value/price as much as the 'feeling'. It's a big part of the mid-life-crisis car. That moment when you park up, walk away to wherever you're going, but something makes you turn around and look at it. You do that because it's under your skin somehow. (Silly - it's just a car, after all, but...)

No boy today is growing up with a Cayman poster blutacked on his bedroom wall. For those of us old enough, the 911 was a poster hero.

For me, it’s italian cars. Show me an older (but not that old) Alfa, Ferrari or Maserati, and i go weak at the knees.
    goldtop said:
    fandango said:
    goldtop said:

100% get this 
    Red ones are better. 
    I had a 959 poster I think - that was the "thing" at the time 
    Red ones are better. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I had a Morris Traveller on my wall. I was ahead of my time really.  

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    No experience of buying used but the Cayman is a fabulous car. Had a Cayman S for six months (long story but essentially Mrs Rowby won one at work) and its ruined me for ever owning another sports car (not one I could afford anyway).

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:
    fandango said:
    goldtop said:

I played Porsche Challenge on PS1 quite a bit as a kid.

Bye!

• ColsCols Frets: 7006
    TimmyO said:
    I wouldn't be seen dead in an MX5 
    Probably wise.  They don’t really work as hearses.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    TTony said:
    Wasn't Sporky doing something similarly mid-lifey?  

Where'd he go??
    He got an Alpine A110 I believe.

Sadly few around and dealers still looking a mark-up for them, even used. 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    A lot of this depends on budget and how much you're prepared to spend on running it.

Money no object you could buy a Cayman GT4 (unbelievably good car), run it as an occasional plaything and although main dealer servicing will be expensive you'll not lose much (if anything) when you sell it
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • AdiAdi Frets: 331
    p90fool said:
    TimmyO said:
    My boss ten years ago had a nearly new 911 and always nagged me to use it for running errands, I always took the Ford Focus instead. 

I did try it once and it drove ok, but I spent the whole time sliding down in the seat in case anyone I knew saw me. I would definitely have felt slightly less of a cock in an MX5.

I'm sorry but this is a complete bs, why would the fact that you drive a 911 (or any other car for the sake of the argument) be something to be ashamed of? Especially that 911 is a great driver's car and very well respected in the motoring community. It seems to always come from people who can't afford such cars, insecure much?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Adi said:
    p90fool said:
    TimmyO said:
    My boss ten years ago had a nearly new 911 and always nagged me to use it for running errands, I always took the Ford Focus instead. 

I did try it once and it drove ok, but I spent the whole time sliding down in the seat in case anyone I knew saw me. I would definitely have felt slightly less of a cock in an MX5.

I'm sorry but this is a complete bs, why would the fact that you drive a 911 (or any other car for the sake of the argument) be something to be ashamed of? Especially that 911 is a great driver's car and very well respected in the motoring community. It seems to always come from people who can't afford such cars, insecure much?

Dangerous to presume what one can afford, no?

I wouldn't say it is all affordability - a lot of my personal views are cars are because I live in Cambridge (well, near enough) and if every dickhead who had a cayenne, range rover sport/evoque, 911 or jag traded in for a more suitable city car (they're usually transporting themselves and, at most, one other) they'd be travelling faster and wouldn't crawl over speedbumps, and could negotiate some of the tighter turns without needing to crawl (or in some instances, mount the pavement or simply not turn left until traffic in the right lane has also cleared). 

Naturally, if I lived near some of the gorgeous, smooth, winding roads in mainland Europe, I'd probably be much more positive towards a sportier car.

Happy for anyone who enjoys them! I've driven sporty cars while at uni as I was friends with a lot of enthusiasts but I never "got" it. I always much preferred a super comfy hatchback or coupe. Maybe that'll change as I get older - but my dream is to never drive again, so probably not! 
    That's the logic that would see every car in the world be a Kia C'eed and thankfully we don't live in that world.

I had very little.draw to all this through my 20s 30s and.most of my 40s. But now I just want to. No measure of practicality has been applied 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153

my dream is to never drive again
    Not quite sure what you were hoping to contribute to this thread then? ;)

(I live in Cambridge, too, and have yet to find a road that my car can't manage. And that's with no PAS!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I loved my 911 and for a lot of people they are great cars and the rest are just wannabe Porsche.

The cost and can I afford it is one of the most asked questions.

My view was and still is it’s a car it’s going to cost you and usually at a time you can least afford it.

All that said you can easily get a 5k bill on a 2nd hand  Mondeo these days or pretty much any car.

yeah running costs mpg tyres etc are all going to be a lot more than the average family saloon but you won’t feel the same driving a Kia.

Ultimately 911 model research known flaws uncorrected and history are worth boning up on to avoid the beginner mistakes of buying with heart rather than head.

But of any of its ilk the 91@ is still the best daily driver and weekend thrill.

Would I do it again probably not as around the south east where I live there are few empty uncamered roads where you can give it a cheeky blip or nice country lanes to test the handling, such is the world we live in these days.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9668
    The answer is, of course, a Type R - ridiculously fast, reliable, and more practical than most sporty types.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    The answer is, of course, a Type R - ridiculously fast, reliable, and more practical than most sporty types.
    Why would anyone inflict that much ugly on the world? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom