DIY - drilling and fixing into block work/brick work

What's Hot
I've moved, woo!

Settled in nicely, but as it's modern construction with drywall, insulation, studs and block work I need to fit my kitchen shelves heavy-duty style - I need a big fixing and a drill and bit to go into the blockwork. The wall is a bit over half a meter thick! 

Can anyone recommend a drill, bits and screws/plugs that would be up to holding floating shelves that will hold a lot of weight? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited July 2019
    Have a look down B@Q or Homebase. Loads of types of fixings available. Check the spec and application on the packet. They do some decent deals on Dewalt type drills too. Invest in a decent cordless drill and a multi pack of various drill bits and screwdriver tips. Money well spent in the long run. Cheap own make tools are just a waste in my experience. Buy well,buy once:) Maybe buy a stud/cable finder too. If you can screw into a stud great. If you hit a cable,not so great:(
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited July 2019
    I had this problem in our last house when mounting a TV on the wall. Best solution (as advised by someone who did it for a living) try and fix between studs drilling holes into the block work. Insert/glue long 15mm diameter wooden dowels into the holes. Then screw into the dowels with decent wood screws. The dowels should be a very tight fit.

I followed his advise and the TV didn’t fall off the wall . There’s various fixings you can buy that try to find a solution to this problem but I think the one set out above works very well.

There's also  loads of decent drills about - just look for a good offer with a couple of batteries included at Screwfix etc. Mine is a Hitachi but I think they’ve rebranded now. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I've moved, woo!

. The wall is a bit over half a meter thick! 

Modern house- 0.5 m thick?  Really ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited July 2019
    sev112 said:
    I've moved, woo!

More than. Measured it! Keeping us comfortable in the summer so far (hardly a beltwr but the hottest day of the year was fine) and should keep us warm in winter. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    sev112 said:
    I've moved, woo!

More than. Measured it! Keeping us comfortable in the summer so far (hardly a beltwr but the hottest day of the year was fine) and should keep us warm in winter. 
    Dude...interested to see that 500mm measurement !

for kitchen units you can get a continuous long bracket as a strip, you then fix where is best for Yu and ya g the units on, doddle.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    edited July 2019
    I've moved, woo!

Settled in nicely, but as it's modern construction with drywall, insulation, studs and block work I need to fit my kitchen shelves heavy-duty style - I need a big fixing and a drill and bit to go into the blockwork. The wall is a bit over half a meter thick! 

Can anyone recommend a drill, bits and screws/plugs that would be up to holding floating shelves that will hold a lot of weight? 

Try Screwfix, good value & easy to return stuff. You'll want a combi drill (normal + hammer action). Corded drills are cheaper, cordless better for actually using them. Makita, Hitachi, De Walt etc are all good names & will last.
    Get the most powerful (voltage + battery amps) that you can afford. If you might ever use other battery powered tools (lamps, lawnmowers etc.) it might be worth planning ahead & buying into a brand that has interchangeable batteries.
    Get good wall fixings too.
    Better yet, can't you just ask around & try borrowing a drill, as you might not use it much?
    My ex. neighbour used my SDS drill (I have solid stone walls) more than I did...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
     The wall is a bit over half a meter thick! 

That sounds odd?

Unless this is some sort of super-insulated ecobuild, you've normally got your brick/blockwork (outside wall), with stud work fixed to that, insulation between the stud work frame, and then plasterboard over the top of that stud work - ie the wall that you see.

The insulation layer is normally 100mm - and plasterboard is perhaps 10mm on top of that.  

There's no point screwing anything into the insulation.  You've either got to work out where the stud work is (look for the nails in the plasterboard), or go all the way through the insulation into the blockwork behind - but that's going to be a little tricky too because you've got to be able to push the rawlplugs or fixings all the way through the insulation and properly into the blockwork behind.

As long as you screwing into something solid, a decent quality screw should be more than adequate.  I've put up kitchen wall cupboards, fixed to the wall with something like 4 x 2.5"/8s screws, and then filled the cupboards up with all the crockery, and they've stayed on the wall.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • From the edge of the outside brick to the inside edge of the drywall is about 52cm.

So maybe I'm being thick (pun intended) if I'm giving a mad measurement? 

Advice from builder was to go through to the blockwork so I assume a long bit, plug and screw is called for... 
  • Just remeasured to make sure I'm not mad and it is around 51-52cm, as measured through the window. The depth from the inside wall to the window is a bit under 30cm.

I guess it is mega thick walls :) 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Can’t see any reason to go THROUGh the blockwork, even for a TV frame

i have a 40” plasma screen in a frame to a plasterboard internal wall
    - no blockwork wall available.

but generally fix heavy stuff to studs if available and right locations
    or timber batten to studs, and plasterboard fixings through the battery and plasterboard, fully anchored tight in the void

but my guitars just hang from plasterboard fixings

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Theres a dude called Gosforth handyman on YouTube (drummer as it happens). He has a series of vids on fixings and strength with actual tests. Might be worth checking out.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Why not get a local kitchen installer to fit the wall shelves for you?  He will know what he is doing.  I am all for DIY but sometimes the best option is to get a professional in.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    edited July 2019
    Unless you can find the wall studs I’d use the spring toggle type plaster board fixings, they hold a LOT of weight. I’ve got my guitars hanging on a plaster board wall using the plastic corkscrew style plugs and they’re solid as a rock. 

Kittyfrisk’s advice on drills is good. Screwfix usually have deals and decent prices. Stick to a major brand and get one with a couple of decent voltage LiOn batteries (the battery is guaranteed to run out at the most inopportune time). 

• @ESBlonde I've just binged some! Definitely good food for though on lighter stuff like pictures, mirrors etc. He shows some really heavy duty stuff but by that point I feel I may as well go for it and get a long screw and go into the brick work.

@rocker I might consider it, but I'd like to learn, and to be honest I'd probably enjoy it! I'm having ceiling fit curtains done by a pro, though. 

Note for all - curtains - fucking hell! Save up. 

@boogieman @Kittyfrisk thanks, I've found this which looks sound - I'm paid in a couple of weeks and should be able to stretch to it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd778l2t-sfgb-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/8395v

I've found corded drills but they are massive and heavy! This is the closets - bigger, but not 5kg!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7235548?gclsrc=aw.ds&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:596310901|agid:28594123885|tid:aud-484139255901:pla-329075210153|crid:95887239565|nw:g|rnd:13445369494724313939|dvc:m|adp:1o3|mt:|loc:9050370&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpavpBRDQARIsAPfTwizfeJRfa1dWUbyCosnnLECYRO5mAltdk8SA62c4F8VfDQP7z1SdXNMaAtKsEALw_wcB

Available for 40 quid from amazon... So that's high on my list. Any thoughts on the bosch easy impact 550 for casual DIY that goes into bricks? 
    Corded drills are ok, but as you say they’re heavier and more awkward to use (try getting one into a gap in the floorboards or holding it above your head for any length of time and you’ll discover why most people prefer a cordless!). I don’t even own a corded drill these days. The DeWalt you linked to is the same as I’ve got, mine's about five years old and still going strong. It’ll do just fine for drilling into brick or concrete unless you’re planning on drilling massive holes for 40mm waste pipes or similar.  ;)
  • boogieman said:
    Corded drills are ok, but as you say they’re heavier and more awkward to use (try getting one into a gap in the floorboards or holding it above your head for any length of time and you’ll discover why most people prefer a cordless!). I don’t even own a corded drill these days. The DeWalt you linked to is the same as I’ve got, mine's about five years old and still going strong. It’ll do just fine for drilling into brick or concrete unless you’re planning on drilling massive holes for 40mm waste pipes or similar.  ;)

Definitely not! It's just, it's three times the price of a corded one...! 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    This is what you need.....from the depth of wall Id think you must have studwork in front of the block work, so you will need to pick up the timber or metal studs, not point trying to get to the block work...

poke a tiny hole through the plasterboard and see hw far to solid block?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cabinet-Hanging-Wall-Mounting-Rail-Bracket-Length-Kitchen-Cupboard-Hanger-1m-2m/202291977674?hash=item2f198a9dca:m:m6iLj7_RYbcUZ5NnNQg6RSA

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    spark240 said:
    This is what you need.....from the depth of wall Id think you must have studwork in front of the block work, so you will need to pick up the timber or metal studs, not point trying to get to the block work...

poke a tiny hole through the plasterboard and see hw far to solid block?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cabinet-Hanging-Wall-Mounting-Rail-Bracket-Length-Kitchen-Cupboard-Hanger-1m-2m/202291977674?hash=item2f198a9dca:m:m6iLj7_RYbcUZ5NnNQg6RSA

Your walls do sound thick for a modern house so I am inclined to agree with @spark240, there’s probably a stud wall. Best bet is to locate the studs and screw into those. If it’s just dib and dob then drill through the plasterboard and adhesive into the block and poke a plug through using a long screw and a hammer. Then fix to that. 
    boogieman said:

Definitely not! It's just, it's three times the price of a corded one...! 
    But worth it, believe me. ;) No need for trailing leads  and just so much more convenient. Not forgetting that you can use it as a screwdriver too. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
    These are really good, 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Combi-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B00L3XK06C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1M7EBOLFO4ZTP&keywords=bosch+cordless+drill&qid=1563122247&s=gateway&sprefix=Bosch+cordle%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-5

And Amazon frequently offer them at £49.99 which makes them a steal.  I have 2 sets and just fitted a load of kitchen cupboards using  them.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.