Can we put this to bed now?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    So I think the answer to the question posed is ‘No. No we cannot.’
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    ah, I see. So calling someone an "overprivileged, frankly sinister cunt" does not, after all imply any jealousy
    No, because “overprivileged” doesnt mean someone who is “better” than someone else, it means someone blindly lauds their own abilities/skills/opinions (usually opinions) over others without any consideration of whether that is appropriate. 
    what dictionary is that from ?
    Your (I assume) improvised definition of "overprivileged" does not match any published definition that I have ever seen

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    ah, I see. So calling someone an "overprivileged, frankly sinister cunt" does not, after all imply any jealousy
    This sentence says more about your jealousy.

Explain your reasoning please, I have expressed no opinion about Mogg in this sentence, so how do you reach this conclusion?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    No, because “overprivileged” doesnt mean someone who is “better” than someone else, it means someone blindly lauds their own abilities/skills/opinions (usually opinions) over others without any consideration of whether that is appropriate. 
    what dictionary is that from ?
    Your (I assume) improvised definition of "overprivileged" does not match any published definition that I have ever seen

It's called context, dear. If we're talking about dictionary definitions (i.e. disproportionately privileged compared to others)  the JRM is absolutely overprivileged by any metric, which doesn't imply jealousy anyway, it's just a statement of fact. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994

p90fool said:
    @stickyfiddle I'm in no way criticising that, I spent many years on the managerial ladder myself, and if it weren't for unrelated personal circumstances which effectively diverted me from it I'd still be there.

I did however, feel more and more hollow the more "things" I owned, and have never been particularly acquisitional since circumstances broke the habit for me. 

The sheer release of having fewer and simpler things is the reason for the OP, and the mild rant about jealousy is because it honestly couldn't be further from the truth. 
    No, absolutely. I wasn't being defensive at all - I completely agree with you
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    I thought it was considered bad form here to follow someone onto a different thread and continue to bait them. I think everyone knows who the aggressor is here. He should, perhaps, wind his neck in a little?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    Roland said:
    p90fool said:
    Just a minor point, 
    Actually it’s a major point for the moderation team. We don’t allow personal abuse of forum members. We also don’t allow personal abuse of public figures, and of the general public, who have no capability to reply.

What constitutes personal abuse in that context?  There are thousands of "non-positive" comments about musicians, CEOs and PR men of guitar companies, retailers, well-known eBay sellers, politicians, actors, celebrities of every stripe.... How can you police that?

Presumably if we say "I'm not fond of Mumford & Sons" that's OK, but if we say "Mumford & Sons are fucking shite" is it personal abuse?

It's an absolute minefield.

By the way, I totally agree with the OP's sentiments.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    octatonic said:
    So I think the answer to the question posed is ‘No. No we cannot.’
    That's a "lolsdom" from me!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    just to clarify something in my head, we'd all be OK calling Rees Mogg a cunt, but some take exception to the over privileged bit?  

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Budgie said:
    I thought it was considered bad form here to follow someone onto a different thread and continue to bait them. I think everyone knows who the aggressor is here. He should, perhaps, wind his neck in a little?

not when the OP starts with a vague insult to "career types" - which is presumably meant to insult me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    In the case of Mogg, I genuinely believe that many dislike him predominantly because he is rich and posh

If I were to dismiss some other MP with a comment like "underprivileged, frankly sinister cunt", i have no doubt at all that I'd correctly be called a snob. I'm saying that I've called out inverse snobbery here, and have received strange replies about what "overprivileged" might mean in someone's head, and weird insults
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    In the case of Mogg, I genuinely believe that many dislike him predominantly because he is rich and posh

If I were to dismiss some other MP with a comment like "underprivileged, frankly sinister cunt", i have no doubt at all that I'd correctly be called a snob. I'm saying that I've called out inverse snobbery here, and have received strange replies about what "overprivileged" might mean in someone's head, and weird insults
    that's not a weird insult........
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Frankly,I'd describe it as an understatement, certainly left out venal.

Therefore  a generous description.

Hope the stress can be put to bed.
    When logic and proportion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    just to clarify something in my head, we'd all be OK calling Rees Mogg a cunt, but some take exception to the over privileged bit?  
    that's it, I don't see the point of adding that bit, it just sounds like inverse snobbery. It's not his fault he was born into his family
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    If I've got this right, the OP sees nothing wrong in insulting a public figure in this way, but takes umbrage at someone insinuating that he might have a chip on his shoulder?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Jeez...
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    Maybe we should put this thread to bed now?  I don't think it's put anything to bed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    VimFuego said:
    that's it, I don't see the point of adding that bit, it just sounds like inverse snobbery. It's not his fault he was born into his family
    Ok, you're wilfully and pedanticaly missing my point about him being out of touch - I have friends who were born wealthy and it's no more a crime than being born poor, as you well know. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Philly_Q said:
    Maybe we should put this thread to bed now?  I don't think it's put anything to bed.
    I agree, I wish I'd never started it.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    p90fool said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I agree, I wish I'd never started it.
    Now you know how David Cameron feels.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom