Anyone else bored to death by mainstream guitars?

What's Hot
15678911»

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    A lot of bands with guitars are usually more concerned with music, and yes more often than not "cool" for them is an established design, maybe sometimes a lesser-known model but usually from a big brand. Exceptions are someone like Dan Auerbach who appears to be ahead of the curve and something of a trend-setter.

I, however, am more concerned with how I look in the mirror, and have more time to consider aesthetics and how "inspired" I would be to play a more left-field design.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    " but there’s no such thing as ‘truth’ in art to start with.

Exactly. It's all subjective.

"Perhaps people are confusing being an objectively good musician with creating objectively good music?"

I think the confusion goes rather deeper

"if you can take graded exams in something then you can be objectively good at it"

You can certainly be technically proficient, as assessed by an examining body. The relationship between that status and being a 'great guitarist' is tenuous at best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3293
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    If the music moves you in some way then it's good, guitarists are only a small part of it

I'm not into solo instrumental geniuses just good songs

There's no greatest apart from what it means to that individual or big group of fans

Most of the best songs are simple arrangements, I'd take 2 chords of bill withers doing lonely town live then any number of guitarists shredding away

Having said that page with a les paul is what does it for me, they look so effing cool, he's not bad either 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2381
    Boredom lies not with the guitar, but with yourself.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited August 2019
    At all the "young people" festivals I've had to go to for work, there's no out and out favourite brand, the big ones all seem pretty well represented. See as many Gibson/Epi, ESP/LTD and even PRS as you do Fender. I guess the younger ones just want whatever their idols play. At the more indie ones you maybe see more Fenders but they're generally more suited to that sound.

I'm surprised there aren't more Airlines given how prolific Jack White still is, but maybe he's too old for the current generation.
  • I must admit guitars to me are now just tools to give me a sound I want. How it plays changes what and how I play. So having a guitar that can do anything and be all things is not what I think anyone should want or strive for. 
    Certain styles of playing have come about partly down to the limitations of the instrument, which I think is a great thing. 
    The debate about Holdsworth reminds me of trying to get this perfect guitar. 
    Holdsworth can undoubtedly play anything, but what has he played that has captured the non musicians out there? Being an incredibly skilfull guitarist is not being a great musician, it's about being able to play everything musicians have created. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    edited August 2019
    lysander said:
    @gringopig Not wanting to know about Guthrie Govan is really hard to defend to be honest given that he’s objectively one of the greatest guitar player to have ever lived.
    Whether or not you like his musical taste, the fact is that he can play most genres or styles as well or better as anyone past or present.

I mean he's not though is he? You may as well say Frank Gambale is. 

Surely the objective in music is to move the listener? I don't recall a single Govan composition that has had an emotional effect on me other than to go 'corr he's got some chops'. 

Best thing he ever did was the Hans Zimmer live in Prague gig on Netflix. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited August 2019
    soma1975 said:
    lysander said:
    @gringopig Not wanting to know about Guthrie Govan is really hard to defend to be honest given that he’s objectively one of the greatest guitar player to have ever lived.
    Whether or not you like his musical taste, the fact is that he can play most genres or styles as well or better as anyone past or present.

I mean he's not though is he? You may as well say Frank Gambale is. 

Surely the objective in music is to move the listener? I don't recall a single Govan composition that has had an emotional effect on me other than to go 'corr he's got some chops'. 

Best thing he ever did was the Hans Zimmer live in Prague gig on Netflix. 
    I think you're conflating musical output and playing ability here, when I've tried to make a clear distinction between the two.

Frank Gambale, as great as he is, plays like Frank Gambale.
    Guthrie, as well as having his own style, which one may or may not like, has an uncanny ability to play and improvise in the style of a lot of the guitar legends from rock to country and jazz.
    This is something that he's somewhat legendary for and can be seen in quite a few of the videos of him online.

Again my point was that I'm much more interested in seeing what someone like that plays, than someone that spends most of their time playing pretty basic guitar parts, which is the case for most pop and rock bands these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've heard Guthrie copy other people and other styles. He does it very well. That doesn't make him objectively one of the best of all time which is what you've stated. 

I can tell BB King from 1 or 2 notes and be moved by it. 

Reminds me of Vim Fuego in 'Bad News Live Tour'

'I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was 13. Jimmy Page didn't write it until he was 23. I think that tells you everything'...

I'm much more interested in someone's unique musical voice. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    edited August 2019
    Anyway, wiki tells me that Guthrie Govan played signature Suhr superstrats until he was lured away to play  signature Charvel superstrats.

I think the lesson is clear:

We should all be playing our own top-end signature gear supplied free by leading guitar manufacturers. I'll be emailing a selection of them with my preferred spec this evening.

• Ok. I've just discovered something more boring than mainstream guitars.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited August 2019
    TTBZ said:

I'm surprised there aren't more Airlines given how prolific Jack White still is, but maybe he's too old for the current generation.
    Probably mostly because you can't buy actual Airlines very often, and he stopped using that guitar 12 years ago been on Gretsches and Fenders, (and even a trio of Gibson/Peavey/Musicman on his recent stuff) since then
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Ok. I've just discovered something more boring than mainstream guitars.

Is it an Aristocrats album? 

edited August 2019

(and even a trio of Gibson/Peavey/Musicman on his recent stuff)
    Damn, as a Peavophile I got quite excited there, but it's apparently it's Fender EVH Wolfgangs he's blessed, rather than the Peavey (or MM) varieties.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    TTBZ said:

Probably mostly because you can't buy actual Airlines very often, and he stopped using that guitar 12 years ago been on Gretsches and Fenders, (and even a trio of Gibson/Peavey/Musicman on his recent stuff) since then
    That shows how out of touch I am then :) I knew he was using an EVH guitar actually but thought he was doing it ironically or something.
  • RichardT said:

(and even a trio of Gibson/Peavey/Musicman on his recent stuff)
    Damn, as a Peavophile I got quite excited there, but it's apparently it's Fender EVH Wolfgangs he's blessed, rather than the Peavey (or MM) varieties.
    Apologies my error there
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic