Anyone else bored to death by mainstream guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Jetsam1 said:
    thegummy said:
    I watch a lot of new indie bands and at least 90% of the guitars used are Fender.
    And she has a Squier.....! Just shows I suppose. Also maybe Fenders are cheaper to pick up than Gibsons second hand?
    Gibsons are the guitars their dads played
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    "I totally believe though that all the young, modern, forward looking, technically advanced player aren't buying guitars from shops anymore.  Most are having guitars custom made for them by luthiers or at very least having signature models made by manufactures that are not stuck in the 50's and 60's. "

How are they funding this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ooooh, Matron, that's a hard one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I watch a lot of new bands and most of the guitars I've seen recently have been Fender or, strangely, SG.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 605
    thegummy said:
    Jetsam1 said:
    thegummy said:
    I watch a lot of new indie bands and at least 90% of the guitars used are Fender.
    And she has a Squier.....! Just shows I suppose. Also maybe Fenders are cheaper to pick up than Gibsons second hand?
    Gibsons are the guitars their dads played
    So are most of the Fender models no? Jaguars etc are from the 60s. Or they just use what is there. I only got into gear after I`d stopped being in bands. Before then I just used whatever I had and made do.
    edited July 2020
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    RichardT said:
    "I totally believe though that all the young, modern, forward looking, technically advanced player aren't buying guitars from shops anymore.  Most are having guitars custom made for them by luthiers or at very least having signature models made by manufactures that are not stuck in the 50's and 60's. "

They’re not. It’s unsubstantiated nonsense.
    TINMAN82 said:
    RichardT said:

They’re not. It’s unsubstantiated nonsense.

That's just you channeling your inner Grandad though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited August 2019
    @gringopig Not wanting to know about Guthrie Govan is really hard to defend to be honest given that he’s objectively one of the greatest guitar player to have ever lived.
    Whether or not you like his musical taste, the fact is that he can play most genres or styles as well or better as anyone past or present.

Nothing personal as I think many guitarists have a similar way of thinking but I think not being interested in knowing who are the best instrumentalists that are are alive today is the kind of backward looking mentality that was referred to above and that seems to exist more in the guitar world than any other instruments.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    lysander said:
    @gringopig Not wanting to know about Guthrie Govan is really hard to defend to be honest given that he’s objectively one of the greatest guitar player to have ever lived.
    Whether or not you like his musical taste, the fact is that he can play most genres or styles as well or better as anyone past or present.

Nothing personal as I think many guitarists have a similar way of thinking but I think not being interested in knowing who are the best instrumentalists that are are alive today is the kind of backward looking mentality that was referred to above and that seems to exist more in the guitar world than any other instruments.
    Really? I get that he's technically brilliant, but it's perfectly acceptable to say that what he does isn't someone's thing. Shred/virtuoso stuff leaves me completely cold, for example. I'd rather hear a kid with three chords and an idea, but that's a personal thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I don't think the word 'objectively' means what I think you think it means.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Yes it does - again I’m not talking about his own music or his musical tastes, I’m talking about the fact that he can mimic all the greats effortlessly and sound as good or better.
    Plenty of examples to be found.

@gringopig didn’t say he didn’t like him, he said he had no interest in knowing who he was which is quite different.

Ask a piano player who Lang Lang is and you can be sure they do even if they don’t necessarily see eye to eye with his style.
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    The distinction I’m trying to make here is instrumentalist / player vs composer or improviser.
    The line is very blurry for most well known electric guitarists but very distinct in classical music for example.

It’s near impossible to talk objectively about a musician as a composer or improviser, but it’s possible to be much more objective about playing ability especially on an instrument as technically demanding as electric guitar.

If someone can play almost anything from the established repertoire of their instrument perfectly, and with emotion and tone to boot, and very few others can match this ability, then they are objectively one of the greatest - this is what I claim about Guthrie.

I would venture to say the taste in instruments of someone like that is more significant than for a lot of pop / rock players which have much less demanding needs for their instrument pretty much by the definition of the style of music they play.
    This was my angle in this and my reaction to some of the pics posted above.

I’m not trying to get into a discussion of musical tastes and of course you’re more than entitled not to like him @gringopig , I myself can not stand a lot of fairly technical and well admired players which I’ll be happy to name here if anyone is interested :)
    edited August 2019
    lysander said:
    Yes it does.
    No, it doesn't. And even if it did, you've saddled yourself with the impossible aspiration of measuring, evaluating and ranking 'greatness'. For every guitar player who ever lived, including the dead ones with no recordings and no living witnesses. etc.

Speaking purely subjectively, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't start this self-evidently doomed task by weighing up the ability to mimic other musicians, however flawlessly.

edited July 2020
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    gringopig said:
    Yes but I think Govan's music could gag a maggot. Alan Holdsworth was a bit of a technician too but I hear the Russians are using his live albums in interrogation centres.
    Must admit to seeing/hearing Guthrie Govan playing live with Dizzie Rascal playing 'Bonkers' & thoroughly enjoyed it, just bloody good fun.
    I like that he is isn't in his own 'box', so I'm not putting him in one  ;)