what amp do you play through at home?

What's Hot

Comments

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1000
    NPP said:

recently through this:

what's that then? looks interesting  :)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Mustang 3 v2 for me.  Modeller, but very, very nice. Picked one up after watching Shane from Intheblues on you tube. 
    Sounds good at most volumes but still misses a touch of valvey warmth. Some great Fender models though.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    Deluxe reverb, with pedals as necessary for drive. The volume control has a really even sweep on it - helped also by the fact I've usually got a deluxe memory man on the board, with its own volume control that's always on even if the effect is switched off, and also has a really even sweep. Ordinarily this would be an annoying quirk, but actually it's very useful to get the volume right without 'safecracking'.

Failing that, or if I'm in a different room for some reason, microcube  :)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Mustang in the dining room, old Valvestate 20 upstairs. 

I really should get something fancier as I live in a detached house but am pretty happy with those. 
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    It varies. Hurricane for blues, Studio Pro for anything smooth. Stiletto deuce for the past two weeks.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4990
    Laney LC15R or a Blackstar Dist-X into Line6 Gearbox on my PC.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    I use my Marshall VS100R combo. It's the only amp I own!
  • Toe_KneeToe_Knee Frets: 47
    SLO 50w clone or a MKIIC+ clone. I live in a detached house on a redrow estate. I figure I can play as loud as I want because theres a drummer constantly bashing the shit out of stuff across the road.
  • Spend a lot of time messing about with a BLACKSTAR Id core 10 and using the headphones out into a boss looper and then into a Roland cube monitor. When I feel I need a bit more tone I have a rat modded subzero 20 with power scaling which is superb and costs less with the mods included than a fender blues jnr
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    either the modded JCA 50 or the Marshall JCM900 2100...through the 2x12 cab

• davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    If the neighbours are in a 2w Minimat. If they're out my 18w Mjw or my big Matamp.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited May 2014
    NPP said:

recently through this:

what's that then? looks interesting  :)
    it's a 60s 4.5W mono hifi tube amp I recently bought on here (just as the Formula no5 clone and Catalinbread term in the pic); the 'cab' is a Blues jr turned on its side

@ICBM, could you explain the dummy load thing? This setup is just a tiny bit too loud, optimal practice volume is at 11 o'clock but it sounds good from 1 o'clock. 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Richardj said:
    Sorry!

Play in here most of the time.

Nearest neighbors are about a half kilometer either side, open valleys and farmland back and front.  Looking forward to getting the '68 Custom Twin to fill the room a bit.  Or at the other end of the spectrum just into Amplitube on my iPad!
    Wow that is lovely, please tell me that you are not Hannibal Lecter though....
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Roland;242210" said:
    Axe FX and Matrix FRFR with the volume turned down a little bit.

Hey @Roland, are you using the matrix q12a?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Yep. It's getting a lot of use. Plenty loud enough for gigs, but "turndownable" for home playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    edited May 2014
    NPP said:
    @ICBM, could you explain the dummy load thing? This setup is just a tiny bit too loud, optimal practice volume is at 11 o'clock but it sounds good from 1 o'clock. 
    You just need a resistor - preferably mounted in a box, but even that is not strictly essential at this power level! - acting as a silent second speaker, to absorb half or a bit more of the power - connected in parallel with the speaker. Impedance matching isn't at all critical at this sort of power level, so you could try a couple of different values and see which gives the right amount of reduction. You probably want about the same as the speaker and about half that, which will give roughly 3dB and 6dB reduction. It only needs to be rated for the power of the amp or perhaps double that if you're really thrashing it.

Parallel loading has less effect on the tone than a 'proper' attenuator or even an L-Pad, since the speaker is still directly connected to the amp as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I used to have a Vox Valvetronix VT20+, but I couldn't settle with it. I put it down to my own psychological incapacity to get on with a modelling amp. It sounded fine but after twenty minutes I kept needing to fiddle rather than playing.

So I gave it to my lad (just turned 12) who's formed a band with some of his Year 7 classmates and are working on a Queen song for the class concert - more power to them!!

So I bought myself a 15watt Egnater Tweaker 112 combo which sits in the sunroom with my basic pedalboard (Joyo compressor into Joyo Sweet Baby OD). A G3X runs in the loop for modulation effects (usually just a bit of tape delay and spring reverb). Love it.

The master volume is great. I play clean or mild OD and love the AC setting. All good fun. My gigging days are over due to health issues so the setup works fine for me.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    The little Lightning into a Palmer ADIG-LB as a speaker load, into the desk, into the DAW and with some impulses of an AC30 cab.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    ICBM;243624" said:
    You just need a resistor - preferably mounted in a box, but even that is not strictly essential at this power level! - acting as a silent second speaker, to absorb half or a bit more of the power - connected in parallel with the speaker. Impedance matching isn't at all critical at this sort of power level, so you could try a couple of different values and see which gives the right amount of reduction. You probably want about the same as the speaker and about half that, which will give roughly 3dB and 6dB reduction. It only needs to be rated for the power of the amp or perhaps double that if you're really thrashing it.

Parallel loading has less effect on the tone than a 'proper' attenuator or even an L-Pad, since the speaker is still directly connected to the amp as well.
    Have a(nother) wisdom! I'll give that a try then, sounds easy enough to make. Presumably there'd be no harm in adding a switch to the circuit to select between the different impedances, or even bypass? I think even I could draw that schematic up. :D

This has reminded me to take another crack at the NEETS course and actually learn something about electronics! :)

• thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    Cornell Romany plus for cleans and tweedy crunch, and a Cornford Harlequin for Voxy chime to dirt (both more fun with the neighbours out but both sound sweet at low levels.  And a Blackstar HT-1R with headphones for the nocturnals.