what amp do you play through at home?

What's Hot

Comments

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Either a THR5 or a H&K Tubemeister 5 head through a Celestion Vintage 30 loaded cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    EVH 50 head or EVH 100 head with an EVH 2x12 or 2 EVH 2x12's or an EVH 4x12!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Don't bother with amps at home, just amplitube, fells like I'm driving around in a sports car at 5mph using a tube amp quietly!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    rockmonster;251798" said:
    EVH 50 head or EVH 100 head with an EVH 2x12 or 2 EVH 2x12's or an EVH 4x12!!!!
    You sir are indeed a Rockmonster. Respect!
  • PuggyPuggy Frets: 0
    Blackstar HT5rs. Plenty of loud on tap for home use, nice sounds on the quiet side too.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Valvetronix (vox)
    superchamp (fender)
    wem dominator mk111 (rarely)
    Lately just plugging into Reaper and using Amplitube etc.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Currently a Vox AC4 with a VVR mod, which sounds tremendous. We've a small house so I only get to play amplified when I'm working from home. On the lookout for a Pro Junior though, as I need something small that I can gig with.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904

typically DC30 or HRM 50 Bluesmaster

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited June 2014
    My "living room rig".

Plus an Akai Headrush.
  • dampoldmandampoldman Frets: 44
    Amplitube mostly. I've tried various things to find a balance between an amp I can use at home (while the kids are asleep!) and then whisk off to rehearsal, but there isn't really anything which does both well. 

So far I've tried;
    Orange TH30 head (amazing for band, overkill for home even with 7w mode)
    Orange Dark Terror (likewise)
    Egnater Tweaker 15w (great for home, not enough for band)
    Peavey 6505 (GREAT for band, no chance at home though. Plus it weighed more than your mum so moving it regularly was out of the question)
    Orange OR15 (possibly my favourite that I've owned, just not quite loud enough for band)

Now I'm moving out to the country, and stepping down band activity, I was looking for some kind of solution. Not bound by needing tonnes of gain/volume any more. Fancy something a bit classier too... any suggestions?

I have about £400 to play with. Completely fell in love with those tweed Blues Juniors but they've been discontinued... If anyone has one on here, I'm all ears...
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I possibly have the lamest amp of them all a hh performer 80w I have changed the speaker to a celestion and it sounds amazing, it's dint a billion gigs and has never missed a beat, it sounds very natural and compliments any guitar that goes through, best £100 quid I ever spent 10 years ago!
  • I often just use my normal "big" amp (currently Orange Rocker 30 head and 2x12 cab) turned down to sensible levels.  I'm quite lucky that I'm in an end-of-terrace house in quite a rural location, and my immediate neighbour is pretty tolerant as long as I don't take the piss playing for ages, so my "sensible" level isn't actually all that quiet.  The Rocker 30 actually sounds pretty good at lower volume, considering it's a "dirty power amp" design.

Recently I've bought a Blackstar ID Core 10 practice amp for convenience and practising with recordings, so I've been using that a bit as well.  Nice, but I agree with ICBM and others that there's nothing quite like a big(ger) amp through big speakers, even turned down quiet.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited June 2014
    My home amp quest has come to an end with the Toneking Falcon (for now anyway)!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    line 6 spider iii 15. it's a great little practice amp. I also plug into my toneport connected to my computer so I can record if I feel like it.

Such a shame my Laney VC50 has to sit being unused at the moment, it sounds fantastic.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    nickb_boy said:
    My home amp quest has come to an end with the Toneking Falcon (for now anyway)!

...size of your letterbox - did the amp get delivered straight through it?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

^^^ not sure if serious, it looks like his fire place to me.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557

^^^ not sure if serious, it looks like his fire place to me.

Never mind that 57Deluxe uses an old TV as a guitar amp, look it's not even tuned in!  (V. Jealous actually) >:D<

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    I use a line 6 tone port thing. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my AC30 but it does for practicing. 

I have a blackstar HT5 on loan at the moment too which is quote nice on clean. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Im loving my practice rig right now, dialled in a killer distortion on the m5 and through my little crate gx15 it just sounds so incredibly full!
  • stefjuddstefjudd Frets: 40
    I use Amplitube 3 on iMac or line 6 Mobile Pod on the iPad - both sound good and work a treat for practicing!