You Know You're a Guitar Geek When...

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
You walk in to a street with a busker and your first thought is "he really needs to connect that bridge pickup to the tone control".

When else?
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    When you frequent guitar fora 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8740
    You watch his fingers and think “play the proper chord man”
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    You notice modern machineheads on a 21 fret F style neck. 

You interrupt the movie to tell your partner that they used the wrong gear in almost every scene featuring a band... ever.

And following on...

You know that Steve Vai played both guitar parts in Crossroads. 

You tell salesmen in guitar shops about the guitar they've just taken off the wall for you to try. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You notice modern machineheads on a 21 fret F style neck. 

You interrupt the movie to tell your partner that they used the wrong gear in almost every scene featuring a band... ever.

And following on...

You tell salesmen in guitar shops about the guitar they've just taken off the wall for you to try. :)
     When you stop going into guitar shops because they don’t have the ultra obscure stuff you are into and also get things wrong about the stuff they do have. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    You know you can play it better than him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

And following on...

When you stop going into guitar shops because they don’t have the ultra obscure stuff you are into and also get things wrong about the stuff they do have. 
    I can't tell you how much this.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    You can tell the brand by the silhouette of the headstock but will quibble over fender / squier 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

And following on...

I thought Ry Cooder played some of the guitar stuff too?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    edited October 2019
    Ry Cooder did the slide, Vai did the pyrotechnics 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    When you switch channels on TV (and this is pre digital TV with on screen programme information)and even before the audio has caught up you’ve clocked a camera shot from behind the guitarist, identified the headstock as Valley Arts and so this is probably a Toto gig within 3 secs (it was)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    True. And I much prefer his tone on the Wings version than on the original Tony Hatch version. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    edited October 2019
    rsvmark said:
    And don't forget Arlen Roth, who as well as coaching Ralph Macchio, also wrote and played much of the incidental music in the movie. Sadly, he's still waiting for credit for it.

And knowing that is what makes me a guitar geek... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    .....you’re in a Guitar Shop, just browsing, when you overhear a fellow punter ask an assistant a question about a bit of gear, and it takes all your powers of restraint not to butt in and answer the question when the assistant clearly has absolutely no idea ..... :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Not guitar, but I was accused of being a miserable fun killing geek when I had the cheek to point out that the kids playing the piano in the John Lewis Elton John advert last year was playing a completely different song to the advert soundtrack
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You know that any NGD thread started NOT started by @HarrySeven is likely to be mildly disappointing. 

You know the correct answer to a query on here BEFORE @ICBM gives it. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    You find yourself shouting at the screen when you read a load of bollocks on a forum...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    professorben said:

Amen to that - 100%!!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24841
    rsvmark said:
    And don't forget Arlen Roth, who as well as coaching Ralph Macchio, also wrote and played much of the incidental music in the movie. Sadly, he's still waiting for credit for it.

And knowing that is what makes me a guitar geek... 
    I’ve played with Arlen - I can vouch for the fact that this omission bothers him ‘a lot’. :)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited October 2019
    ...your bank balance/credit card/overdraft is sooooo f*cked because "just one more xxxx (insert weird/obscure/whatever guitar/gear here) won't hurt..."

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/