You Know You're a Guitar Geek When...

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5061
    edited October 2019
    When listening to Still Got The Blues you excitedly tell non-guitarists “that’s where he switches from the neck to the bridge pickup!” at that particular point in the solo. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggy said:
    Not guitar, but I was accused of being a miserable fun killing geek when I had the cheek to point out that the kids playing the piano in the John Lewis Elton John advert last year was playing a completely different song to the advert soundtrack

My mate, who's an excellent guitarist, told a bloke playing air guitar in the pub one night that he was in the wrong position, the lead playing should be played further up the neck, he said.

The look he got was priceless.

Maybe the air guitar guy was using an air Digitech Whammy on octave up?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    edited October 2019
    proggy said:

My mate, who's an excellent guitarist, told a bloke playing air guitar in the pub one night that he was in the wrong position, the lead playing should be played further up the neck, he said.

I'd have made a show of taking off my air guitar, unplugging it, putting it back in its its air gigbag, then storming out whilst claiming 'I am an artiste; I cannot work under these conditions'.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    edited October 2019
    When you go to see your favourite band and only take photos of the stage before they go on.

Swervedriver in Leicester.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    professorben said:

When you stop going into guitar shops because they don’t have the ultra obscure stuff you are into and also get things wrong about the stuff they do have. 

Amen to that - 100%!!
    Then they say "this is essentially the same thing" when it isn't. I went to the new Bham PMT and there wasn't a single guitar in there I wanted.. and it's massive.

Yup. With you on that one...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• When you go to see your favourite band and only take photos of the stage before they go on.

& when you could guess who the band was before you saw the caption...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

I thought that said screwdriver at first and thought "what, that stupid racist band use vintage gear?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:

I thought that said screwdriver at first and thought "what, that stupid racist band use vintage gear?"
    When you notice that a band name has been spelt incorrectly, even though you hate the band. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 860
    When you know that Mark Radcliffe use to play drums for incorrectly spelled band before they turned racist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    Thinking about it again whilst waiting for a train this morning it sturck me that the last word in the title of this thread is superfluous.
  • When you visit a guitar show and find yourself walking out after less than a couple of hours, having seen perhaps 8-10 guitars that (given the funds) you would have any interest in buying.  For the record, 3 of these were on one stand.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3093

When you visit a guitar show and find yourself walking out after less than a couple of hours, having seen perhaps 8-10 guitars that (given the funds) you would have any interest in buying.  For the record, 3 of these were on one stand.

When you know the stand belonged to @guitars4you .
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    scrumhalf said:
    Thinking about it again whilst waiting for a train this morning it sturck me that the last word in the title of this thread is superfluous.
    When you notice the last word in the above sentence is superfluous!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When you go to a music store for a pack of strings and come home with a brand new Les Paul.  (me)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    When you visit a new city for the first time for a cultural tour with the missus, you inexplicably manage to pass all of the main guitar shops on your route ;0). (Or is that just me?) 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    When you go to a music store for a pack of strings and come home with a brand new Les Paul.  (me)
    I went to buy a hub cover from Toyota and came out having ordered a car!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    thegummy said:

Oh god, I'm glad it's not just me. Every time someone mentions them, I think "yikes!" Takes me a second to realize they mean the shoegaze lot.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 647
    When you visit Guitar Center Hollywood on your honeymoon.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited October 2019
    When you go into the store for a s/h PRS McCarty and come home with a new Tom Anderson (me).

When friends say "go on play something" and you realise you should have a few campfire strummer numbers up your sleeve (me, for decades). I can drop into any jam, no problem, but choke at a solo spot .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback