You Know You're a Guitar Geek When...

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    ...you see the word "telly" as a spelling mistake.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Not guitar, but I was accused of being a miserable fun killing geek when I had the cheek to point out that the kids playing the piano in the John Lewis Elton John advert last year was playing a completely different song to the advert soundtrack

My mate, who's an excellent guitarist, told a bloke playing air guitar in the pub one night that he was in the wrong position, the lead playing should be played further up the neck, he said.

The look he got was priceless.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    when you look at a @HarrySeven ;
    NGD thread and actually know what it is he has purchased 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggy said:
    Not guitar, but I was accused of being a miserable fun killing geek when I had the cheek to point out that the kids playing the piano in the John Lewis Elton John advert last year was playing a completely different song to the advert soundtrack

My mate, who's an excellent guitarist, told a bloke playing air guitar in the pub one night that he was in the wrong position, the lead playing should be played further up the neck, he said.

The look he got was priceless.

His G string was a bit flat too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9593
    When you are at a friends house (on Saturday night) as you excitedly pause the video to point out a barely visible Lazy J amp in the background...

They all looked at me dumbfounded
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You know better than to post an NGD without pics.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    You post on here and argue about what’s cool or not when in reality we’re all fucking nerds who have no concept of such things :) guilty as charged.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11331
    You get annoyed when you see a photo of a guitarist that has been flipped round so that a right-handed player appears to be playing left-handed.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited October 2019
    When a very knowledgeable chap from a guitar store phones you to ask you to identify a 1940's Gibson model that a customer's trying to describe. It was an early-to-mid1948 ES-300, by the way.  
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • A chord basher (as I like to call them) who's fingers have never gone beyond fret 5 thinks he's a world class lead guitarist
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You're very irritated when you tell someone to "play something" to test an amp sound or if the guitar is tune, and all they do is rake the open EADGBE strings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    professorben said:

When you stop going into guitar shops because they don’t have the ultra obscure stuff you are into and also get things wrong about the stuff they do have. 

Amen to that - 100%!!
    Then they say "this is essentially the same thing" when it isn't. I went to the new Bham PMT and there wasn't a single guitar in there I wanted.. and it's massive.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    You know that any NGD thread started NOT started by @HarrySeven is likely to be mildly disappointing. 
    That's true. I've been guilty of being excited about a new guitar and posting a NGD thread but really I now realise that it's not going to be interesting to many people if it's just a current production model.

Needs to be at least vintage if it can't be obscure.
    A chord basher (as I like to call them) who's fingers have never gone beyond fret 5 thinks he's a world class lead guitarist
    As snobby as it is, it annoys me when someone says they "play guitar too" when really they learned a few open chords and has strummed them about 3 times in the last 5 years.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    When you know that not only is it a flanger not a chorus on ‘message in a bottle’, you know that it is an Electric Mistress
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11904
    When your friend goes to see John Mayer your first reply is "Can you get a photo, I want to see what guitar he is playing"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    When you understand every single example in this thread.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    When you listen to music but hear only the guitar. 

rocktron said:
    When you listen to music but hear only the guitar. 

lol haven't got to that point thankfully but something totally amazing happened when I started playing bass - suddenly music sounded completely different, even on a small radio in the kitchen - suddenly I heard what seemed to have previously been a hidden half of the music!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    You know that Steve Vai played both guitar parts in Crossroads. 

...and notice that Ralph Macchio's guitar slide mutates from metal to glass part way through the film.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it