Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What were they thinking?

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
In 20 years time, just like we looked back in amusement and curiosity at through neck brass hardware guitars like 70's Alembics or 80's shred machines, what will be the future WTF trend we'll look back on?

I reckon it'll possibly be the spate of bizarre over-relics from all corners of the market.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    Ludicrously priced reissues.

And ludicrously priced originals for that matter...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    My nomination is boutique overdrive pedals that cost almost as much as a pre-owned example of the amplifier whose overdrive they purport to emulate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    Relics and every thing Dumble.  

The idea that YouTube was more than the home of the infomercial. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    My nomination is boutique overdrive pedals that cost almost as much as a pre-owned example of the amplifier whose overdrive they purport to emulate.
    And the fashion for true bypass using mechanical click switches.

And top-mounted amp controls.

(I hope!!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    'Vintage' Harley Benton's will be more highly sought after

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In 20 years time, just like we looked back in amusement and curiosity at through neck brass hardware guitars like 70's Alembics or 80's shred machines, what will be the future WTF trend we'll look back on?

I reckon it'll possibly be the spate of bizarre over-relics from all corners of the market.
    It'll be Cleartone Conversions. 

In the future, the Morlocks will overthrow humanity and with their huge fat hands they will not be able to play any other guitars so Cleartone Conversions will be traded at ridiculously high costs, maybe 50-100 human/Eloi slaves (money will cease to exist) per instrument depending on the quality of the conversion.  
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    As to what will be popular and not then who knows

EVH helped to give birth to the F Rose supa Strat

Slash helped to revise interest in the LP

J White helped to establish the cool, weird and wonderful

Trends come and go and I dare say somewhere today is a 16 year old kid, playing the guitar in his bedroom, that in 4-6 years time will be the next 'must have' and the flock will adjust accordingly, when he becomes a star

As guitars don't have any sell by date issues, with no new 'supa dupa' updated versions in the pipeline (iphone style) then I can't see the need for the big guitar companies to continually 'churn out' the same level of output as we have seen in the last 10-20-30 years - There is no shortage of quality, used, clean guitars on the market place today - Not an issue for today's buyers or indeed the buyers in 10/20 years time - But an issue for the manufacturing business

What will be the WTF in 20 years time then who knows - Compared to say 20/30 years ago there is more of a varied selection of brands, models, trends than probably ever before, be it from the big companies or the boutique builders - 1959 etc might well be one of the glory years for some - But the options available for today's buyer has never been so varied, so much so that it is hard to clearly define what is popular and not popular 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11328
    Given enough time we'll have period-correct re-issues of period-correct re-issues.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    Given enough time we'll have period-correct re-issues of period-correct re-issues.
    Or things such as.... Using a prime example of an Encore Strat/Behringer Tube Overdrive we created a 3d printed replica for authentic vintage style and performance, made out of environmentally friendly quinoa composite
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12411
    In 20 years time, just like we looked back in amusement and curiosity at through neck brass hardware guitars like 70's Alembics or 80's shred machines, what will be the future WTF trend we'll look back on?

Helix. 

;) 

Whatever it is HarrySeven will have cornered the market and be a multibillionaire. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    I think that kind of already exists.  I've seen reissues of Dry-Z pickups, that themselves were reissues of PAF's AKAIK.  Maybe I'm missing something, maybe @OilCityPickups Ash could fill in the details. 
  • I'm really hoping that 1987 PRS Custom 24's will have become the new '59 Les Paul's so that I can sell mine and retire early in Bora Bora... assuming it's not been destroyed by the rising sea levels, acidification, etc. etc.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10600
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    I think that kind of already exists.  I've seen reissues of Dry-Z pickups, that themselves were reissues of PAF's AKAIK.  Maybe I'm missing something, maybe @OilCityPickups Ash could fill in the details. 
    I'm actually making a set of Dry-Z clones at the moment for a customer ... with all the factory information and a reference set. 
    Let me tell you the Dry-Z is actually nothing like a PAF in the so called 'important' details inside, even if it produces a PAF like tone. It shows that good design can approximate a sound very well even if 'traditional' materials aren't used. I may well go on to make these a product line.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    John Mayer signature Stratocaster
  • scrumhalf said:
    I'm actually making a set of Dry-Z clones at the moment for a customer ... with all the factory information and a reference set. 
    Let me tell you the Dry-Z is actually nothing like a PAF in the so called 'important' details inside, even if it produces a PAF like tone. It shows that good design can approximate a sound very well even if 'traditional' materials aren't used. I may well go on to make these a product line.  
    Thanks for the info Ash, and pleased to be corrected. 

I've found a bit of info about the specs for Dry Z pickups, rough cast A3's, maple/mahogany spacers and a few other things but I can't find any info about the wire.  I presume it's AWG42 like PAF's? 

Back to Japanese pickups, even if some of the guitars weren't of the best quality there were some truly exceptional MIJ pickups eg Teisco, Guyatone and the Dry Z's. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18933
    What's all this about  "...we looked back in amusement and curiosity at through neck brass hardware guitars..." .
    Is this the royal 'we' ? Is that you Wills or Andy?

How many people laugh at Gibson Firebirds for their construction and HarrySeven is actively looking for brass hardware today 
      ;)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    5 string bass.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Trends come and go and I dare say somewhere today is a 16 year old kid, playing the guitar in his bedroom, that in 4-6 years time will be the next 'must have' and the flock will adjust accordingly, when he becomes a star

Cheers.. but I'm 31.. 

athough soon you'll all be buying my signature katana and playing explorers with emgs...
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    good design can approximate a sound very well, even if 'traditional' materials aren't used.
    True but do they smell the same? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23044
    They'll be making shitty auto-tuned digital dance music and thinking guitars, what the fuck?   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom