Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What were they thinking?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited October 2019
    Lewy said:
    I'd like to think that people will look back and see that weird over-articulation of every single phrase (i.e. playing a three note phrase with seven slides and four hammers/pulls)  that is the foundation of Instagram guitar-heroism as being ridiculously unmusical....but I'm not holding out much hope.
    Agree.  

There are a couple of bands/guitarists who are incredibly well regarded here on this forum who have incredibly impressive/flashy 'licks' but don't seem to use that to build it into a decent or interesting composition.  

Indeed, and in the spirit of "what will people think when they look back", I think they could conceivably see this as being an inflection point at which producing memorable music ceased to be a mandatory requirement for a career as a name player...as long as you're demoing the right pedals and playing through a Two Rock. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Lewy said:
    I'd like to think that people will look back and see that weird over-articulation of every single phrase (i.e. playing a three note phrase with seven slides and four hammers/pulls)  that is the foundation of Instagram guitar-heroism as being ridiculously unmusical....but I'm not holding out much hope.
    It's like when an American girl sings the national anthem at a sporting event and sings 10 times as many notes as there is in the song.

At least with guitar it's just over the top, for bass if a video is linked that's meant to evoke awe they aren't even playing anything that would be in real music, it's all just novelty tricks that aren't musical at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

Valve amps will become kind of like classics cars, eventually ending up like that Rush song about a Ferrari in the future. They'll be outlawed and mostly nobody wants them anyway cos they all have Google's nano repairbots who eat dust and shit SMD components and fix their Helix v273 units.

There'll be illicit underground parties arranged on the Dark Guitarnerd Web where in a soundproofed darkened underground place there's a full stack with 100w Superlead on top, bathed in soft light, alone on a stage with a Les Paul. A masked man walks out, turns it up and hits an open E. People gasp in awe. Several have to go lie down in the Chill Room set up for those overcome by Rock.

Someone grasses them up. One night he's found in an alley beaten up. CSI say "blunt weapon, probably a 2x4. Or a 50s blackguard ash Tele".

Probably.

Sorry. Bored waiting for courier.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Corvus said:
    that Rush song about a Ferrari in the future.
    Red Barchetta.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Even amps like say a Peavey Bandit 65 are an issue for dealers - Probably the best selling compact tranny amp from the 80's and 90's  - But legally a dealer has to sell it with a pat test and a warranty - The trade price would have to be peanuts, to allow for any check-up, pat test, service as required, by the dealer in order to sell for well under £100 - Effectively for the dealer they have practically became unsaleable
    They can actually go for a bit more than that in shops now - there's a bit of 'vintage' and nostalgia factor with them now, as well as simply being great amps for not a lot of money. Quite a lot of people seem to prefer buying them at slightly higher prices from shops, knowing that they have been serviced and are guaranteed - we usually get about £150 for Bandits, and even as much as £100 for Backstages. You do really have to get them cheap to be worth it though, you're right - although one of the great things about old Peaveys is that they rarely need any other work than the safety test and the pots and jacks cleaning.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Are there any companies still making valves?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    Yes. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Are there any companies still making valves?
    Three main ones - Shuguang in China, JJ in Slovakia, and New Sensor in Russia.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein