Boss DD 200

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
Has anyone used/tried one yet. Any good? Tried recalling presets via midi yet?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yes, yes and yes :)

It's very nice sounding, I'd prefer deep editing for some of the delay types but the stock sounds are nice and I only use delay for solos really

eg for tape you can choose distortion on or off but not the amount, and there's no warble or crease

I basically needed to switch between reverse and crotchet via midi in a small form factor. The midi behaviour is highly customisable actually so in that respect it is very versatile
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    roberty said:

It's very nice sounding, I'd prefer deep editing for some of the delay types but the stock sounds are nice and I only use delay for solos really

eg for tape you can choose distortion on or off but not the amount, and there's no warble or crease

I basically needed to switch between reverse and crotchet via midi in a small form factor. The midi behaviour is highly customisable actually so in that respect it is very versatile
    What about selecting the presets via a midi switcher etc. Can that be done?
    roberty said:

Yep, program change. You can map any PC number to any preset
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Sounds straight forward enough ?
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Yep it's all in the manual

https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by_product/dd-200/owners_manuals/b8ece50c-638a-41d3-934e-b4be29bb038b/
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by_product/dd-200/owners_manuals/b8ece50c-638a-41d3-934e-b4be29bb038b/
    Think I might get one. Seems good value 
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Deffo hit the sweet spot for me :)
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Deffo hit the sweet spot for me :)
    I’ll wait till the MD 200 gets released and buy them together. I’ll definitely have to sell both my H9s then 
    One thing to note the midi jacks are on the side so you might not get them flush together if they are both patched for midi

I got a discount from Gak with the Roland midi trs cable and the unit together so it's worth hitting them up on live chat 
    roberty said:
    One thing to note the midi jacks are on the side so you might not get them flush together if they are both patched for midi

I got a discount from Gak with the Roland midi trs cable and the unit together so it's worth hitting them up on live chat 
    Ok great thanks. Yeah sure im used to that with the H9s. You can’t butt them up side by side either when midi jacks are in
    roberty said:

Ok great thanks. Yeah sure im used to that with the H9s. You can’t butt them up side by side either when midi jacks are in
    And you can chain the two boss units together with standard trs minijack
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I have one and I think it sounds great. I’ve also managed to get the midi working with my gigrig g2 with help from Thorpy. I’m pretty new to midi so I didn’t know where to start.
    It was the cable that was the problem to start with. I didn’t realise there’s different midi to trs cables. Type A,B,C. I ended up cutting the cable and re-soldering it so the tip and ring on the trs went to the correct midi pin. It worked fine afterwards.
    i love the size of the dd200 too. I thought the dd500, timeline were too big for my needs.
    markr76 said:
    I have one and I think it sounds great. I’ve also managed to get the midi working with my gigrig g2 with help from Thorpy. I’m pretty new to midi so I didn’t know where to start.
    It was the cable that was the problem to start with. I didn’t realise there’s different midi to trs cables. Type A,B,C. I ended up cutting the cable and re-soldering it so the tip and ring on the trs went to the correct midi pin. It worked fine afterwards.
    i love the size of the dd200 too. I thought the dd500, timeline were too big for my needs.
    Sounds perfect for my needs too :) I agree about the timeline. Too big and OTT for my use but also I couldn't help feeling a bit embarrased and self indulgent when people saw my pedal board with those sized pedals on it. I'm trying to simplify stuff now ;)
    edited October 2019
    If anyone here has one and uses a switcher like the Boss ES5, a quick video of how to recall the preset would be great. The md 200 is out now so once this hurdle has been jumped for me I might get both 
    Well once I got a midi to trs cable that worked (I had a bit of trouble with mine and Thorpy helped me out. A couple of wires had to be switched round as the tip and ring were going to the wrong midi pins) with my gigrig g2 I was getting nothing happening. Once the cable was sorted the g2 change the pedal from n-1 to n-2 to n-3 etc. 
    What I couldn’t do was choose which memory to recall per foot switch on the g2.
    How I sorted it was looking at the midi table for the g2 and I noticed that the program change number was the same as the foot switch number on the g2. So bank 1 went from 1- 14 band 2 from 15-24. 
    On the dd200 if you press both the tap division and memory button together it takes you to the system settings. Right at the end of the menu you can choose the program change number. 

If you pm me your Phone number I’m happy to give you a bell and talk you through what I did. I’ll have to run through it again myself. But I was pretty easy once I got my head round it.

mark.
    markr76 said:
    Well once I got a midi to trs cable that worked (I had a bit of trouble with mine and Thorpy helped me out. A couple of wires had to be switched round as the tip and ring were going to the wrong midi pins) with my gigrig g2 I was getting nothing happening. Once the cable was sorted the g2 change the pedal from n-1 to n-2 to n-3 etc. 
    How I sorted it was looking at the midi table for the g2 and I noticed that the program change number was the same as the foot switch number on the g2. So bank 1 went from 1- 14 band 2 from 15-24. 
    On the dd200 if you press both the tap division and memory button together it takes you to the system settings. Right at the end of the menu you can choose the program change number. 

If you pm me your Phone number I’m happy to give you a bell and talk you through what I did. I’ll have to run through it again myself. But I was pretty easy once I got my head round it.

mark.
    Thanks @markr76 that's very kind of you. However, I haven't actually bought either yet and was hoping to see some videos first on it which I thought Boss would release considering they have the Boss ES8/5 as one of their products etc. When I get either though I'd to take you up on your offer and get in touch if I have a problem etc. Where are you based out of interest?
    markr76 said:

mark.
    Thanks @markr76 that's very kind of you. However, I haven't actually bought either yet and was hoping to see some videos first on it which I thought Boss would release considering they have the Boss ES8/5 as one of their products etc. When I get either though I'd to take you up on your offer and get in touch if I have a problem etc. Where are you based out of interest?
    I’m in Brackley, Northamptonshire.
    markr76 said:
    markr76 said:

mark.
    I’m in Brackley, Northamptonshire.
    Ah right near Thorpy then ?
    edited November 2019
    Just demo’d the dd200 and md200. Really like them. Compact, midi and very good sounds. Only 4/5 presets but I don’t use that many sounds tbh. 
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    edited November 2019
    I've got a DD-200,  sounds great, really like the ease of use but the sloping switches and the fact I keep going into looper mode by pressing the two switches by mistake when playing live is becoming bit of an issue for me, I've got a Canyon Delay coming so I expect one of them will be going in the classifieds soon.