Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars I would buy again

What's Hot

Comments

• impmann said:
    I've had a few RGs, including a very nice RG550 which I bought from Jaden Rose. I'd buy another one; proof of which is the fact that I'm currently negotiating with a guy on facebook to do a swap for my Squier...
    Wait?

You are negotiating a trade of a Squier for an RG550?!?!

If you pull that off you need to write Art of the Deal Vol:2!!!
    Depends on the Squier... early skettie logo JV would be worth quite a bit more than the Ibby (and being contraversial - a much better instrument).

No, not an RG550... the swap (if it happens - we're meeting up next week) is for my Squier Contemporary Active Strat:

for his RGA42FM:

Looks like a fair swap to me

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5028
    I've got through about 130 in the past three years, and would have a lot of models again, but there's three that I can think of that I regret selling. One was a Godin Montreal Premier Supreme, which - despite sounding like a dog food - was a lovely guitar. There was a 1991 ES-335 that was lovely and resonant, and felt better than any ES-335 before or since and I miss that one. Then there was a Gibson L-5 Signature, and at the time I thought it was 'sensible' to sell it (it was around £5000) but missed it straight away. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24853
    My stock answer to this type of question used to be my 1963 Fiesta Red Strat which I sold in 1996.

What I’ve been wondering recently, is if I were reacquainted with it, would I be disappointed? It was certainly a great sounding Strat - but my taste in neck shapes has changed quite a bit in the intervening years. And I tend to prefer one-piece maple necks these days.

I’d love to find out, though I believe it was exported to Japan by the person I sold it to - so I doubt I will.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23267
    edited October 2019

Probably quite a few, but three spring to mind:

1983(ish) Hamer Vector.  It was one of the first few guitars I owned and went through quite a few mods and pickup changes.  Middle-aged me is not sure the Flying V shape is really suitable for the vertically challenged, and I don't know if I'd still like the fairly skinny neck and extremely narrow string spacing, but it sounded great and I wish I'd kept it. 

Gibson Pete Townshend SG Special.  Not the white one, the earlier version in cherry with a batwing scratchplate.  In retrospect, it was probably the best SG I've owned.  I liked the relatively chunky neck and wraparound bridge, and I could've put humbuckers on it without doing any permanent damage which couldn't be hidden.

PRS Singlecut Standard Satin.  I bought it "new" but it arrived with several scratches and I had a bit of a hissy fit and sent it back.  I should've just asked for a discount.  Yes it had birds, but apart from that it was just a plain brown mahogany LP-type thing and I bet it would've aged nicely by now.

• DB1 said:
    I've got through about 130 in the past three years, and would have a lot of models again, but there's three that I can think of that I regret selling. One was a Godin Montreal Premier Supreme, which - despite sounding like a dog food - was a lovely guitar. There was a 1991 ES-335 that was lovely and resonant, and felt better than any ES-335 before or since and I miss that one. Then there was a Gibson L-5 Signature, and at the time I thought it was 'sensible' to sell it (it was around £5000) but missed it straight away. 
    130?! Shit me, that's a lot of guitars... I'll have to bookmark this thread and show my wife next time she rolls her eyes at my constant swaps/GAS :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5028
    DB1 said:
    130?! Shit me, that's a lot of guitars... I'll have to bookmark this thread and show my wife next time she rolls her eyes at my constant swaps/GAS :lol:
    Sadly, I can list them all as well! Remembering just how many makes I've had (I think 25) in the past three years helps me get to sleep at night. I there's 46 Gibsons alone in that lot. My wife says that I need sectioning. She's very wise. 
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I traded a Suhr Alt T Pro for a beautiful Collings 290 but still miss the Suhr.
    I had a strategy to cut down to three guitars based on one with hums, one with singles and one P90s. As the Suhr had hums it went to bring in P90s
    I am currently reviewing the strategy and will probably buy another Suhr T of some description.
    ( I love the Collings as well)

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    Maybe the Aria PE-1000 I sold years ago, but only if they'd take the £320 I got for it.
  • Good thread!!

Biggest regret: Caparison Horus M-3 (buying another asap)

I miss:
    My first Fender American Standard CAR Strat '57' RI with lacquered maple neck and board
    My first Gibson Les Paul 2013 Standard with Koa top
    Kiesel 7 string multiscale fanned fret Aries - I will replace this one day!
    A beautiful Koa Taylor GS Mini
    Selling my first guitar - a shite-beyond-belief Marlin Stingray - will offer "money" and/or Mars bars for one like the pic below!

I regretted and have already replaced:
    Fender MiJ Tele '62 RI
    PRS Custom 24

Will we never learn!

PS. he said "POV" lolz.
    PPS. You've got me sobbing my little heart out now, as I've started trawling through all the old "family" photos of the aforementioned deceased.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23267
    @Jonathanthomas83 That koa topped LP looks great!
  • Philly_Q said:
    @Jonathanthomas83 That koa topped LP looks great!
    I know mate, I feel like a bit of a melt sharing such filth...filth that I don't even own any more.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I gave my PRS Tremonti to my best mate when I couldn't play anymore. I'd buy another one of those. That's it. From the 50 plus I had that's about the only one I think I'd buy another of. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    edited October 2019
    My old 2000 PRS Custom 22 hardtail ten top (original model)
    Fender  C.S Rory Gallagher strat
    Gibson C.S Joe Perry Boneyard Les Paul
    Fender C.S double bound daphne blue custom telecaster

Gibson Explorer my old natural limited edition model
    The SG Standard I bought from LeeRocker years ago and stupidly punted it on! It had a funny thumb nail sided chip in it on the front but what a great SG!
    A lovely black 76 LP Custom- weighed a ton was made up of lots of bits of wood but it was a beast!

Regret selling all the above! 

I also had a spiffingly good Angus Young SG. Sold it to some twat who said the neck was warped and had to have loads of work done to it and he then sold it for a shit load more than what he bought it from me for! There was nowt wrong with it! :(

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3072
    edited October 2019
    Definitely a Prs CE22. I really loved the one I had.

An old Ibanez Universe (early 90s)

Late 80s/early 90s USA Jackson's

Carvin DC
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406

2006 PRS Modern Eagle Blue Jean Fade with solid Brazilian rosewood neck.

2016 Gibson Les Paul Custom R8

both sold and regretted

You, sir, need help.  Whatever came along that persuaded you to part with them - particularly the ME1?
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    ellwood said:
    I gave my PRS Tremonti to my best mate when I couldn't play anymore. I'd buy another one of those. That's it. From the 50 plus I had that's about the only one I think I'd buy another of. 

Oh - and a Washburn Steve Stevens. It was the longest I'd ever owned a guitar. Don't really know why I sold it. Have just bought another one from the US, but it's crap. So if anyone has one...or the rarer SS100...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3082
    My biggest regret was selling my Fender USA Sambora Strat
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited October 2019
    I had a top loader MIJ fender telecaster in butterscotch, I put a black guard on it. It was I think the cheapest in the MIJ range at the time (the standard maybe?) It cost me a little under £300 new (in the UK) it was fantastic, the most amazing guitar I've ever played, and I tend to play Les Paul's. I had to sell it when money was tight and I needed a bed for each of my kids.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    My first proper guitar, 1990 Fender standard strat in pewter with a rosewood board, should never have sold it
    If i ever find another i will snap it up
  • That Hammer Chaparral I had in the late eighties. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom