Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars I would buy again

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    ellwood said:
    I gave my PRS Tremonti to my best mate when I couldn't play anymore. I'd buy another one of those. That's it. From the 50 plus I had that's about the only one I think I'd buy another of. 

Need any more mates? :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited October 2019
    Seeing that desert yellow Jem recently for sale on the forum for £2000. I used to work in a music shop in the early 90’s, and at that time pointy 80’s Japanese floyd rose guitars didn’t sell, you couldn’t give them away. We used to have a store room where pointy guitars taken as trade ins would literally be stacked on top of each other without cases because it wasn’t even worth putting them out on the floor for sale, as they never sold, and just took up valuable room. A perk was we got to buy for trade plus 10%. I was a Strat guy through and through back then and I’d have been laughed off stage playing a yellow Jem, but when it came in as a trade in, I just loved the colour, and had to have it, and with my staff discount bought it for £77. Since sold it, but Id like to buy that back... for £77 of course. Joking aside, I really miss that guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    JerkMoans said:
    ellwood said:
    I gave my PRS Tremonti to my best mate when I couldn't play anymore. I'd buy another one of those. That's it. From the 50 plus I had that's about the only one I think I'd buy another of. 

I'll put you on the list ;)

PS - that vintage thing - it wasn't the vintage thing you bought from me was it??? 
    ellwood said:
    JerkMoans said:
    ellwood said:

PS - that vintage thing - it wasn't the vintage thing you bought from me was it??? 
    Yes! :mrgreen: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    '97 G&L George Fullerton Signature
    '07 G&L George Fullerton Signature
    '06 G&L Invader
    '79 Yamaha SG2000
    '94 Kubicki Key Factor
    '72 John Birch 4001

...And several more.

• My Larrivee OM 03R , now somewhere in Brentwood .
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    I think some of these recollections are possibly seen through rose coloured glasses.  

If all that discarded stuff was that great, why was it sold?

If it was a money issue I understand - but otherwise?

If you got the old stuff back you might soon realise why you sold it in the first place.   ;)

The only guitars I have sold were an Avon Les Paul and a horrible Classic Player Jag which I was glad to see the back of!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    Neil said:
    I think some of these recollections are possibly seen through rose coloured glasses.  

If all that discarded stuff was that great, why was it sold?

If it was a money issue I understand - but otherwise?

If you got the old stuff back you might soon realise why you sold it in the first place.   ;)

In my own case, it's a kind of reverse GAS.  Just as I would go through phases of buying loads of guitars, I would also go through phases of selling loads of guitars, almost obsessively... then at the end of it I'd think, huh, what did I do?

Several times I sold guitars within weeks of buying them - if I'd been just slightly quicker I could've returned them for a refund (although probably not when they'd come all the way from Japan).

You do have a point though, the only time I did buy back a guitar I'd sold, I soon sold it again (although I do slightly regret that one too).

Anyway, this is all history.  I don't buy so much now and I haven't sold anything for five years.  There's lots I should sell, but I got out of the habit and I can't seem to get it back.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    JerkMoans said:
    ellwood said:
    JerkMoans said:
    ellwood said:

Crap!
    Why didn't you shout and let me know!!!
  • My 1981 Silverburst Les Paul custom. It was stamped as a "SECOND", i think because the silver had turn almost green and the three part body joints were visible. Played and sounded great though....... i cant recall why i moved it on

Also a 25th Anniversary Mira with a pair of P90s, i moved that on because i am a tool and still regret it!
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    A black SG Classic. Great neck. Great pickups. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • My 1957 Les Paul special which i sold a few months back, Didn't get to own it too long but I think about that guitar daily. If you're out there come back!, Hopefully one day It'll come back. 
  • Ibanez PGM301 hardtail.

Should never, ever have sold it.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    My problem is I tend not to sell guitars.
  • I had a Peavey Tracer LT that I regret selling, even though it was a shredders guitar and i am not. I also sold a Jasmine (Takamine) that was such a great little acoustic that really punched above its weight and with a smallish body for the time, I own and have owned much nicer acoustics since but that one had the X factor! :)
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited October 2019
    Good question ! When I think about it, it should be one of the four 50's Gibsons that I moved on, but in reality, I can't think of a practical reason to have them back other than to feel smug about the current prices compared to what I paid for each one in the 70's to mid 80's.

In truth, its more about nostalgia value these days, hence my acquiring an early 80's Yamaha SG000s and a late 70'sYamaha SC1200, having owned both models back then. The really nice part of getting these again has been my realisation that they are as good as I remember ( actually better in the case of the SC1200 ).

The only other guitar I would like to buy again might be a Lowden O25. I bought an O32 at the same time as the O25, kept the 32 and sold the 25. Maybe one day, 

The other weird one might be a Gallien Kruger 250ml, I had one of the early one's ( 2 actually but one went bang and fried ). Absolutely no use for it amongst the wealth of riches available today, and I may realise that it actually sounded ;like crap in retrospect. 

Just remembered one other guitar, an '89 PRS signature in vintage yellow, now that was very nice, but I swapped it for something else mid 90's  ( no idea what it was now, but should have kept the PRS.
    ellwood said:
    JerkMoans said:
    ellwood said:

Crap!
    Why didn't you shout and let me know!!!
    Are you nuts? :mrgreen:

I did what any self-respecting Fretboarder would, and flipped the shit out of it.

Last I heard, it's in the grubby mitts of a blues impresario in California :D

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    edited November 2019
    I just did, another Jem 7WH
  • PRS Modern Eagle 1 but a double cut;
    PRS Modern Eagle Quattro;
    PRS DGT;
    PRS McCarty (early years but would need a rosewood neck);
    A Schecter PT (possibly Indonesian but upgraded massively and brilliant), which I regret selling.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Ibanez UV777BK Universe.

I am such an idiot for selling it.