General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7418
    Bloody hell well colour me astonished..

Pic does not show how great it is when In the room.. purchased a cheap Anker Nebula projector £220 on a deal, £20 for the screen.. no fancy hi Def thing and the projector is the size of a can of pop.

Lad came round and said have you tried the Switch and I said it'll probably be rubbish..

I was wrong, smooth as anything and nice and clear..

Image is at 82 inch.

My Dad's got a projector that he uses for TV. I always think it looks a bit washed out in photos, but I've not seen it in person.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a Quest 3 this week. 

Flight Simulator in VR is a religious experience. It's so amazing. I think it finally gave me the feeling I've yearned for since a kid wanting to be a pilot (my eyes aren't good enough for a real life license). Amazing. So amazing.

And the native games are really good too. We've been playing a mini golf game that even my non-gaming wife loves. She's even asked to play some more today - she never asks to play games. 
    Walkabout Mini Golf is awesome, we all play that.. I be been looking at getting MS Flight Sim.

Synth Riders is one of my faves, and I was surprised how much time I spend on Cubism.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    DefaultM said:
    My Dad's got a projector that he uses for TV. I always think it looks a bit washed out in photos, but I've not seen it in person.
    Projected image quality is mostly a function of the ambient light level.

There are fancy multilayer screens that reject ambient light to varying degrees, but to my eyes they always shift the colour a bit too.

A good projected image is a very impressive thing though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3254
    Accidentally bought Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered on the Switch last night, I say accidentally, as it was, supposedly Need For Speed Most Wanted from 2005 is going to be remastered  and released this year, and in my excitement at seeing a NFS game on sale for a fiver I just bought it without giving it a second thought, or even reading the title of the game beyond Need For Speed.  This is the second time that I've done this, I've done it on the PS5 as well.  That's how desperate and excited I am for the remastered version of the 2005 Most Wanted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1488
    Never ever played an Assassin’s creed game but noticed they have Black Flag and Rogue double game on sale on the Nintendo shop for £11.99 so I’m quite tempted by it 
    edited January 7
    joneve said:
    Never ever played an Assassin’s creed game but noticed they have Black Flag and Rogue double game on sale on the Nintendo shop for £11.99 so I’m quite tempted by it 

There is a surprising number of AAA titles on sale, with hefty discounts to I might add, in their sale.
    For Assassins Creed I'd just get Odyssey, and then Valhalla if you like Odyssey.

Odyssey is the best in the series by some margin. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    Sporky said:
    For Assassins Creed I'd just get Odyssey, and then Valhalla if you like Odyssey.

I haven’t played either of those but I really enjoyed Origins, largely because running around Ancient Egypt was brilliant 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331
    After considerable umming and ahhing I decided to go for Xbox over PlayStation, so I’ve been pricing the bundles up. 

It’s just now I’m realising Alan Wake 2 is digital only, and no disc version is planned. It’s almost like magic, that all interest I had in it has now evaporated. Looks like I’ve saved myself £400 there. 

If you want to see why I’m anti-digital only, Microsoft are selling Alien: Isolation digitally for £35. I saw a disc copy in CEX today for £4.50. The game was released in 2016. 

Alan Wake 2 will be £60 for years, then it might go down to £35. It is also not on game pass, which now I’ve looked into it, doesn’t have much I’d actually even play for free. 

I’m actually really disappointed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    PLOP said:
    After considerable umming and ahhing I decided to go for Xbox over PlayStation, so I’ve been pricing the bundles up. 

It’s just now I’m realising Alan Wake 2 is digital only, and no disc version is planned. It’s almost like magic, that all interest I had in it has now evaporated. Looks like I’ve saved myself £400 there. 

If you want to see why I’m anti-digital only, Microsoft are selling Alien: Isolation digitally for £35. I saw a disc copy in CEX today for £4.50. The game was released in 2016. 

Alan Wake 2 will be £60 for years, then it might go down to £35. It is also not on game pass, which now I’ve looked into it, doesn’t have much I’d actually even play for free. 

That's my huge complaint about not just the Microsoft Store, also the Playstation Store as well as the Nintendo Store, that 99 times out of a 100 is cheaper, and by that I mean a lot cheaper to buy the physical copy of the game in any store, than it is to buy the digital version
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve been disappointed by enough games that I thought would be great in years past when I was much more into gaming to know that buying a game full price is a very big gamble. I don’t have the kind of disposable income to drop £60 on a game, even if I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy it, like AW2. The last time I bought a game full price was Condemned 2 on the 360! 

I hate this push to digital only. You’re paying above the asking price, for what is essentially an open-ended rental of a game. At any point, given any scandal or controversy, MS/Sony can just pull the plug on a game and it’s gone forever. It’s unlikely, yes, but if the Mumsnet brigade turn their gaze upon it and are persistent enough someone will cave eventually. 

The only reason I was considering the Series X over the other version was for the disc drive, so if the main game right now doesn’t come on a disc, then I guess I’ll just do without. The next game I’m maybe interested in is Stalker 2, but I have reservations about how good that’ll be, and there is absolutely no chance I’m gambling £60 for it if it’s digital only. 
    Digital-only doesn't mean never on sale.

And if you get a Series X you can still buy and use fusc gamed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    edited January 7 tFB Trader
    On the flip side my son has been playing a game on Playstation Plus that he asked for for his birthday a year or two ago l, but for some reason it didn't happen.

It would have cost me £50 and he played it for about 30 minutes and then decided he didn't like it. As it was it cost me bugger all. Same for Alien Isolation which is on PS+ for nowt.
    edited January 7
    Sporky said:
    Digital-only doesn't mean never on sale.

And if you get a Series X you can still buy and use fusc gamed. 
    Digital on sale is still usually 2x or more of the price of the used disc though. They’re selling Black, an Xbox original game, for £9. I think I paid that much for it when it was still a current gen game. 

On the flip side my son has been playing a game on Playstation Plus that he asked for for his birthday a year or two ago l, but for some reason it didn't happen.

It would have cost me £50 and he played it for about 30 minutes and then decided he didn't like it. As it was it cost me bugger all. Same for Alien Isolation which is on PS+ for nowt.
    I’m not denying the value of PS+/Game pass, but they’re limited of what they have on there. And as AW2 isn’t on, I don’t have much interest in anything else on there. Certainly nothing I’d buy singly. There are games I’d play, but in all likelihood I could try them and get bored of them within 14 day £1 offer. I know I’m very picky with games, but I know what I like generally, and I don’t see much on there I would bother downloading even though they’re “free” 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4738
    PLOP said:

Things come and go in gamepass.  Alien Isolation was on for a while I think.  There are also fairly regular sales.

I got the Series X but haven’t ever used the disc drive I don’t think, but can appreciate if you’re after a specific game at a specific time disc may be best.  It’s also if you want an older discontinued game, for example games Forza disappear eventually as the car licences are only supported by constant sales, so if you want the games they become available by used disc only.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Bloody hell well colour me astonished..

Pic does not show how great it is when In the room.. purchased a cheap Anker Nebula projector £220 on a deal, £20 for the screen.. no fancy hi Def thing and the projector is the size of a can of pop.

Lad came round and said have you tried the Switch and I said it'll probably be rubbish..

I was wrong, smooth as anything and nice and clear..

Image is at 82 inch.

Think it is bright enough to use on stage?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    edited January 8
    PLOP said:

Thing is, and somewhat sadly, £35 or even £60 really isn't that much money for entertainment in 2024.

A quick Google suggests most people will get somewhere between 20 and 30 hours out of AW2.

The average cinema ticket in the UK is about £8. Thirty hours of cinema would cost you, what, £100+? Football is even worse, and God only knows what thirty hours worth of gigs would cost these days. 

Now none of that helps if you can't afford them in the first place but games, even at full price, are among the better value forms of entertainment. 

For myself, I've been absolutely loving the remastered Link's Awakening on Switch. The original is a masterpiece, the remaster is even better. 10/10.

Also picked up A Short Hike in the eshop sale. Didn't know anything about it but its absolutely delightful. Another 10/10 for me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7418
    I remember PS1 games were £45 in 1997 so really they're cheaper now, but not once you've added all your DLC and other crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3732
    edited January 8
    Sporky said:

I haven’t played either of those but I really enjoyed Origins, largely because running around Ancient Egypt was brilliant 
    Origins is by far my fave.  Great characters and locations.  Black Flag is a great winter game,  all those sunny beaches and pirates!  Playing it again now on PS4 with slightly better graphics.

Odyssey was impressively big but got very repetitive for me and the narrative suffered for all the side distractions. 

Not tried Valhalla yet.

CEX is great is you are not bound to digital only.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10384
    Sporky said:

Origins is by far my fave.  Great characters and locations.  Black Flag is a great winter game,  all those sunny beaches and pirates!  Playing it again now on PS4 with slightly better graphics.

Odyssey was impressively big but got very repetitive for me and the narrative suffered for all the side distractions. 

Not tried Valhalla yet.

CEX is great is you are not bound to digital only.

CEX is the absolute worst lol. Everytime I go in one I feel patronised by some kid over my game choice and it takes me a week to leave the store because my feet are stuck to the carpets. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom