General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Bit late to the party but I played Last of Us 2 last November and it was immense.

I did a Metal Gear marathon, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 around 2008/09ish and then Peace Walker and MGSV later on. I'm pretty much determined to try MGS4 again as I only played it once but the others multiple times. So I watched through the videos of the old games again and bought myself a PS3 to do a playthrough of MGS2 & 3 HD and then MGS4 and I may even play MGSV again.

Sorry, that was boring.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414

I did a Metal Gear marathon, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 around 2008/09ish and then Peace Walker and MGSV later on. I'm pretty much determined to try MGS4 again as I only played it once but the others multiple times. So I watched through the videos of the old games again and bought myself a PS3 to do a playthrough of MGS2 & 3 HD and then MGS4 and I may even play MGSV again.

Sorry, that was boring.
    There is nothing remotely boring about anything that involves MGS – just the mention of it gets me excited. I’m doing a similar thing and currently halfway through MGS 2. The whole franchise just plain owns.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    So Mass Effect Legendary Edition released today.. any takers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    beed84 said:

Sorry, that was boring.
    There is nothing remotely boring about anything that involves MGS – just the mention of it gets me excited. I’m doing a similar thing and currently halfway through MGS 2. The whole franchise just plain owns.
    I loved MGS and MGS2 when they came out.  Couldn't get on with 3 though and gave up on the series.

Tempted to go back and try again but the original doesn't seem to be available anywhere.  Is Twin Snakes a remake of it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Getting a fair way into Jedi Order. I suck at fighting with a lightsaber :(

Otherwise quite enjoyable!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    cruxiform said:
    wibble said:
    Anyone playing Wreckfest? It's one of this months PS+ games, PS5 owners can get the PS5 version of it.

It's an enjoyable game so far as I'm working my way through the career mode.
    Been playing it on Xbox One and now Series X, I use my wheel/pedal setup, it's a hoot! 

Nice. I've just finished getting the platinum trophy. I'm quite impressed with the PS5 version and the use of the adaptive triggers so you can feel damage affecting your cars performance.

Just picked up the Wrath of the Druids DLC for Assassins Creed Valhalla, and also Dark nights with Poe & Monroe (I love those FMV games)
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    LuttiS said:
    So Mass Effect Legendary Edition released today.. any takers?

I literally just bought it 5 mins ago. Currently downloading... I’ve never played it before but it looks brilliant. Saw all the stuff about it back in the day but somehow made it to now having never played any of them.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10256
    I played Mass Effect originally and I thought it was okay. I found it clunky and that the story was sparsely paced. I didn’t get the fuss tbh so I’ll give it a miss this time around. 

Starting Control. 
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    What’s a good website or YouTuber for all things PS5 that’s not weighed down with loads of ads and is targeted at the early 40s market?
    all the things like games radar and IGN seem to miss the mark for me and seem in the pockets of the game studios 
    I flip between Metro’s game pages (current home of the old Teletext Gamecentral guys who I rarely disagree with), then Eurogamer and Polygon. Occasionally check Kotaku as well but that’s gone downhill in recent years

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    What’s a good website or YouTuber for all things PS5 that’s not weighed down with loads of ads and is targeted at the early 40s market?
    all the things like games radar and IGN seem to miss the mark for me and seem in the pockets of the game studios 
    +1 for Eurogamer, pretty much on point with all of their reviews and coverage.
  • I can very very very strongly recommend Grimbeard for general games reviews with a dark edge.

He's also a talented musician. Synth heavy goth rock.

I started playing little nightmares today. It's deeply flawed in terms of gameplay but the art style and atmosphere is enough to make it very worth the £4 paid. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4142
    RedRabbit said:
    beed84 said:

Sorry, that was boring.
    I loved MGS and MGS2 when they came out.  Couldn't get on with 3 though and gave up on the series.

Tempted to go back and try again but the original doesn't seem to be available anywhere.  Is Twin Snakes a remake of it?
    Whaaaaat?! MGS3 is one of the all-time gaming greats!!! You should give it another chance for sure.

Yes, Twin Snakes is a remake/update of MGS1 done originally (I think?) for the GameCube
  • beed84 said:

Sorry, that was boring.

Awesome, man, enjoy it! I absolutely love all the MG games. They really captured my imagination when I was younger.

RedRabbit said:
    beed84 said:

Sorry, that was boring.

I'm not entirely sure that MGS3 might look a bit dated for people playing it for the first time in 2021. But like you, I gave up on it when I bought it upon first release...the whole seemingly "free roaming" jungle setting seemed really jarring after playing in the often claustrophobic confines of MGS2. The olive drab colour palette and new characters didn't help, nor did going back in time from the futuristic Big Shell aesthetic.

However, upon revisiting it a year or two later, I really clicked with it and must say, it turned out to be my favourite of the series (which is hard to admit because I really love MGS2). It really was quite a revolutionary game at the time. But yep, as said above, definitely try to give it another go, the HD version may help bring it up to date a little. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    MGS3 is the best one by miles for me. 

I just admit I lost the plot around halfway through 4. I struggled through 5 but gave up before the end as I didn’t understand what was going on and didn’t particularly enjoy the gameplay either 
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 707
    edited May 2021
    My hype levels are increasing:

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1952
    edited May 2021
    I was uncertain when I started to play Mass Effect 1, but once you get into it you're hooked and the series is in my top 10.

I had the same experience with The Witcher...Again, it's in the top 10.

In no particular order:

1. Mass Effect Series
    2. Witcher Series
    3. Fallout Series
    4. Elder Scrolls Series
    5. Red Dead Redemption 2
    6. GTA V
    7. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    8. Baldurs Gate Series
    9. Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic
    10. Napoleon Total War

I'd recommend Euro Truck Simulator 2, Fishing Planet and Rocksmith for chillout too.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1952
    Has anyone played 'The Outer Wilds' or something like that? It keeps getting recommended to me.
    edited May 2021
    Schnozz said:
    Has anyone played 'The Outer Wilds' or something like that? It keeps getting recommended to me.
    Yes, both...

Outer Wilds - Timey-wimey loop thing. Quite old-school, very peaceful, also frustrating. Apparently amazing if you get through it but I got lost. I do want to try again though.

Outer Worlds - Fallout in space, by the same dev as Fallout New Vegas iirc. Great idea and well written, but gameplay a bit dull imo