Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite place/site in the UK

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Nice to see Waseley Hills mentioned, they are about three or four miles from my house although years since I've been. I think you could see the Rover factory in the distance once upon a time? That's houses and a shopping mall now. Just up the road the Clent Hills where I used to go a lot although they became packed on high days and holidays. 

The Malverns are part of my patch at work so, pre covid, I was driving through maybe once a month. They do have that sense of otherness, like you've arrived in a different country or at least seem a long way away from life in the West Midlands. I've got a visit there next week, the family live down a tiny road in a house almost at the top of one of the hills overlooking miles and miles and miles of Worcestershire.       
    Yep, you'd have been able to see the Rover factory from the top, and that shopping mall's not far from my house. The majority of the land upon which the factory stood is still open ground, they've not developed it yet. I've been properly geeking out on the history of the area - blew my mind that there was actually an airfield where the MG Motor centre is just south of that new shopping bit, with an elevator to take planes from the production line up about 60 feet to the runways. And until a few years ago you could still get into the old wartime tunnels they used to move things quickly between the various sites.

The Clent Hills are nice too, I've been a few times. And I found a back way into the Lickeys that I can reach 10 minutes from my house, so that's been a nice escape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cirrus said:
    Nice to see Waseley Hills mentioned, they are about three or four miles from my house although years since I've been. I think you could see the Rover factory in the distance once upon a time? That's houses and a shopping mall now. Just up the road the Clent Hills where I used to go a lot although they became packed on high days and holidays. 

The Malverns are part of my patch at work so, pre covid, I was driving through maybe once a month. They do have that sense of otherness, like you've arrived in a different country or at least seem a long way away from life in the West Midlands. I've got a visit there next week, the family live down a tiny road in a house almost at the top of one of the hills overlooking miles and miles and miles of Worcestershire.       
    Yep, you'd have been able to see the Rover factory from the top, and that shopping mall's not far from my house. The majority of the land upon which the factory stood is still open ground, they've not developed it yet. I've been properly geeking out on the history of the area - blew my mind that there was actually an airfield where the MG Motor centre is just south of that new shopping bit, with an elevator to take planes from the production line up about 60 feet to the runways. And until a few years ago you could still get into the old wartime tunnels they used to move things quickly between the various sites.

The Clent Hills are nice too, I've been a few times. And I found a back way into the Lickeys that I can reach 10 minutes from my house, so that's been a nice escape.
    Nice. I lived in Bartley Green for a while nearly thirty years ago and almost everyone in the area worked at Longbridge and/or drove a Metro. A large branch of M&S won't have replaced all those jobs. 
    Lot of history in the West Mids, not of the big house where a Duke lived but that kind of industrial/ social history. I'm in a very select group of people who finds the needle museum in Redditch fascinating!    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Margate. End of thread.

• Mornington Crescent
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Home, here in Norfolk:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Highgate Cemetery 
     The old Colney Hatch Mental Asylum ..........sadly now redeveloped 
     The Moor between St Albans and Wheathampstead known as No Mans Land where sits the Pub called The Wicked Lady .
    The story of the Wicked Lady was immortalised for screen in the 40s with Barbara Stanwyck in the eponymous role ; A young and lively ,vivacious young beauty wed to a boring elderly local Lord of the Manor.For kicks she used to dress as a Highwayman ,creep out of the house at night and hold up Coaches coming across the said Moor before returning home with her safe secret . She was shot with a Blunderbus by a Coachman during an unsuccessful hold up but made it home to bed .
     They followed her trail of blood and discovered her injured in her chamber .I think she was nursed back to health and then tried and Hung from Tyburn Gallows .
    They say she still rides the Moor on a full moon  - I've never gone to find out as there could be werewolves about .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Highgate Cemetery 
     The Moor between St Albans and Wheathampstead known as No Mans Land where sits the Pub called The Wicked Lady .
    The story of the Wicked Lady was immortalised for screen in the 40s with Barbara Stanwyck in the eponymous role ; A young and lively ,vivacious young beauty wed to a boring elderly local Lord of the Manor.For kicks she used to dress as a Highwayman ,creep out of the house at night and hold up Coaches coming across the said Moor before returning home with her safe secret . She was shot with a Blunderbus by a Coachman during an unsuccessful hold up but made it home to bed .
     They followed her trail of blood and discovered her injured in her chamber .I think she was nursed back to health and then tried and Hung from Tyburn Gallows .
    They say she still rides the Moor on a full moon  - I've never gone to find out as there could be werewolves about .
    I’ll join you. Hip flasks and sword sticks. For quality japes: tally ho!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I must be nostalgic for getting out and about after lockdown, but I really love the British Isles. I simply can’t pick a favourite spot, I’ve enjoyed being in lots of places. Amazing how one smallish part of the world has so much variation- of scenery, accents, history, folklore, etc etc. 

Bloody hell I can feel a proper road trip coming on. 

• Home, here in Norfolk:

How do you get on without any windows, though?

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    JerkMoans said:
    Dominic said:
    Highgate Cemetery 
    You joke........my grandmother used to use a sword stick .....as she walked home alone from Bridge evenings
    Fascinated me as a kid
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited September 2020
    Basically I'm a city person, so Mayfair.  I'm only ever there in hotels and barring a mammoth lottery win will never live there,  but the concentration of architecture, historical associations, art galleries, concert halls, shops with fantastic window displays, cafes and restaurants, pubs, parks and green spaces, cinemas and opportunities for people watching within easy walking distance make it the most enjoyable part of the UK for me.  There's obviously a snobbish/moneyed thing going on there that might start bothering me if I was a resident rather than a visitor, but I'm not and I don't find it hard to block that element out.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Home, here in Norfolk:

How do you get on without any windows, though?
    His neighbour has them all! That's not fair is it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Dominic said:
    Highgate Cemetery 
    You joke........my grandmother used to use a sword stick .....as she walked home alone from Bridge evenings
    Fascinated me as a kid
    Was she ever obliged to run any footpads through with the thing, teach ‘em some manners?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer