Ricky Gervais Monologue @ Golden Globes Awards

What's Hot

Comments

• Yes
    I think the Netflix marketing team wrote the speech.  The Golden Globes people checked if they can be sued.  Ricky performed the speech.
    Hmm, I'm not sure. I remember when it was first announce that he mentioned he had only just found out himself and that he normally has a few more months to prepare. Plus he seemed to take a break from posting pictures of the After Life 2 production whilst all this was going on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    sev112 said:
    Sassafras said:
    This must be the first time in history anyone's taken a pop at Hollywood.
    Never understood the appeal of Ricky Gervais. I find his smugness very off putting.
    You know the “smugness” is an act ?  
    It's an amazing act, he's never once dropped it.
    Staying in character all your life is impressive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    He was just taking the piss. No harm done. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Bloody love Jonathan Pie

He picks easy targets for sure, but does a good job of it

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Google some of Groucho Marx's speeches at awards, this is not a new thing.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2020
    Oh no, is Jonathan Pie part of the joke too? It's really clever how they are including so many random people in the same script!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31615
    Sassafras said:
    sev112 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Never understood the appeal of Ricky Gervais. I find his smugness very off putting.
    True enough. If someone acts like a prick all the time the supposition that it's just an act is irrelevant, he's still just a prick all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    p90fool said:
    Sassafras said:
    sev112 said:
    Sassafras said:
    True enough. If someone acts like a prick all the time the supposition that it's just an act is irrelevant, he's still just a prick all the time.
    I'd act like a prick 24/7 if I could get my hands on his zillions, just image all the guitars I could buy on here!
  • Freebird said:
    p90fool said:
    Sassafras said:
    sev112 said:
    Sassafras said:
    I'd act like a prick 24/7 if I could get my hands on his zillions, just image all the guitars I could buy on here!
    You could buy ALL the R8's and abuse ALL of the guitar shops!

Bye!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    All of Gervais's "humour" is based on bullying. Being nasty to folks, belittling them, putting them in awkward situations (at their expense) and each time he'll add in a "just saying" or "its just a joke" with the idea that its not meant with any malice. However, you can see that he was bullied himself when he was younger and he uses this humour as a defence mechanism. And such jokes are a very small leap away from the humour of the 1970s - observe the joke about James Cordan and "fat pussy", its not dissimilar to the sort of thing Bernard Manning would have delivered.

The smugness is not an act. He can't act. There's video proof of this.

Whether or not this is staged is irrelevant - its simply not 'funny'. 

I do hope he isn't "dragged back" for them next year... frankly I hope the talentless tosser sinks without a trace.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    impmann said:
    All of Gervais's "humour" is based on bullying. Being nasty to folks, belittling them, putting them in awkward situations (at their expense) and each time he'll add in a "just saying" or "its just a joke" with the idea that its not meant with any malice. However, you can see that he was bullied himself when he was younger and he uses this humour as a defence mechanism. And such jokes are a very small leap away from the humour of the 1970s - observe the joke about James Cordan and "fat pussy", its not dissimilar to the sort of thing Bernard Manning would have delivered.

I do hope he isn't "dragged back" for them next year... frankly I hope the talentless tosser sinks without a trace.
    Haven't you ever been nasty to folks? Even just a little bit?  
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    edited January 2020
    impmann said:

Not all of it. His standup routine about the meanings behind nursery rhymes is excellent: clever, and very funny

Also, in Extras most of the punchlines/mishaps were at his character's expense.

*other opinions are available
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Can't stand the man, but applaud the sentiment of his speech, however scripted. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• "They're just jokes but feel free to grass me up in yer little blog" - LOL

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

The Office, afterlife, extras.  Hmmm talentless.  He may not appeal to you but stating he's talentless is not true
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Freebird said:
    p90fool said:
    Sassafras said:
    sev112 said:
    Sassafras said:
    You're not even in the top ten tossers on this forum. Fuck off
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    :)
  • I can't believe anyone thinks it was anything other than a choreographed element of the entire show.

Tom Hanks was definitely in on it to provide some faux horrifed gurning.

Ricky is just as much in the pocket of the machine as any of his targets.  Reputed £15m for one Netflix special
    Just to get this straight. You’re saying you think that they had a meeting beforehand where they told Gervais - “what we want this year is you saying the Catholic church is a paeophile ring, Martin Scorsese hangs around in kids playgrounds, Leonardo DiCaprio likes very young girls, that pretty much all of Hollywood is in on the sex pest thing, and they’re all vacuous morons who have no right to use their platform for any political purposes at all. That’ll go down well.”

Really?
    The showbiz commentators I've heard say that any speech will have been agreed before hand, wether the content was written by Ricky or someone else. They will have also briefed anyone in the audience who is mentioned in it, they don't want Scorsese or Hanks,etc, walking out. 
    I find it harder to believe that given the size of the operation they wouldn't know what Ricky was going to say. 
    That's assuming he didn't give them a different script
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I can't believe anyone thinks it was anything other than a choreographed element of the entire show.

Tom Hanks was definitely in on it to provide some faux horrifed gurning.

Ricky is just as much in the pocket of the machine as any of his targets.  Reputed £15m for one Netflix special
    Just to get this straight. You’re saying you think that they had a meeting beforehand where they told Gervais - “what we want this year is you saying the Catholic church is a paeophile ring, Martin Scorsese hangs around in kids playgrounds, Leonardo DiCaprio likes very young girls, that pretty much all of Hollywood is in on the sex pest thing, and they’re all vacuous morons who have no right to use their platform for any political purposes at all. That’ll go down well.”

Really?
    The showbiz commentators I've heard say that any speech will have been agreed before hand, wether the content was written by Ricky or someone else. They will have also briefed anyone in the audience who is mentioned in it, they don't want Scorsese or Hanks,etc, walking out. 
    I find it harder to believe that given the size of the operation they wouldn't know what Ricky was going to say. 
    That's assuming he didn't give them a different script
    I guess it’s possible but I think that’s giving him a lot of credit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.