Composition Challenge #3 "Chord Fun"

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• Just a quick note to say that voting will open as planned tomorrow however it will be in the evening rather that early in the morning (as I usually do) because I am doing some work at the moment + looking after my parents house so I have to get up at 5.30am so can't stay up uber late.

Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    edited July 2014
    Basher said:
    OK. Thanks for the kindness folks. Have just emailed it over. I'm not proud of it but think it's nice to take part.

Just wanted to publicly thank @Antique_Guitars for organising these challenges. They are the best thing about the forum IMO. Love anything that gets us actually playing music.

That was one thing I noticed, back in the Radar days. The electronic/tech forums were much more active in terms of people generating music whereas the guitar people seemed to prefer talking about drive pedal stacking order and other such minutiae. Much as I love a bit of the old minutiae, I do like to try and record something every now and again so thanks! 
    Having originated on the computer music forum myself I know what you mean. I think it's a bit unfair to categorize everyone as just gear collectors though, a lot of people are out playing live which certainly used to be much harder for the computer music peeps. 

I'd love to see more active music creation though, both more music posted and more comments when things are posted.

Also although I didn;t like this rounds brief I think the competition is a great way of doing that so thanks for organizing @Antique_Guitars 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Having originated on the computer music forum myself I know what you mean. I think it's a bit unfair to categorize everyone as just gear collectors though, a lot of people are out playing live which certainly used to be much harder for the computer music peeps. 

I'd love to see more active music creation though, both more music posted and more comments when things are posted.

Also although I didn;t like this rounds brief I think the competition is a great way of doing that so thanks for organizing @Antique_Guitars 
    Yes, I guess you're right. There are probably a lot more gigging guitarists out there than gigging synth-boffins/computer music types.

I also feel that it's inherently easier for computer music fans to create something that sounds impressive. I've only recently got NI Komplete 9 and have been amazed that I could have simply selected one of the complex pads in Absynth/Massive played a single note and got pretty much the same effect I took ages to get for the last, "drone", challenge!

Still. I suppose I was just trying to come out in support of the guitar and guitar/computer-music hybrid people who see the more satisfying outcome of their hobby/job as producing original music, rather than cranking out All Right Now in a pub somewhere. Nothing wrong with that, did it myself, briefly. It's just that there is another side to what we do that's worth discussing/celebrating.

Interestingly enough, I find that recording definitely helps keep any guitar GAS in check. It's quite sobering to hear a recording from just a couple of weeks ago and realise that you don't have a clue which guitar you used! Not because it necessarily sounds bad, but because it sounds good and they all sound a lot more similar when plonked into a mix, eq-ed etc.

...Of course the GAS just transfers itself to wanting a better PC, some monitors, new plugins etc.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    Basher said:

I also feel that it's inherently easier for computer music fans to create something that sounds impressive. I've only recently got NI Komplete 9 and have been amazed that I could have simply selected one of the complex pads in Absynth/Massive played a single note and got pretty much the same effect I took ages to get for the last, "drone", challenge!

I think that's partly due to lack of effort on some people parts :) I mean I could throw together a pretty convincing metal song in an hour or 2 playing in all the parts (except maybe drums). I think it's more just down to time invested. It's just a case of getting familiar with the tools.

With how easy technology is these days there's no excuse for everyone writing their own stuff imho :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ