Composition Challenge #3 "Chord Fun"

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    not_the_dj;264986" said:
    I assume that at some point in the track all three chords must be used, is that correct?
    I've been trying work out where I'm going to use the B chord.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265

I assume that at some point in the track all three chords must be used, is that correct?
    That was my assumption, yes.

I've made some progress with my track. Recorded a bass track, a couple of guitar tracks and spent an inordinate amount of time tweaking a few beats in Addictive Drums. Doing this challenge has motivated me to put a bit more time and effort into learning the ins and outs of my software (Cubase, Addictive Drums, Amplitude3 (for the bass amp), a few effects plug ins). It's starting to take shape but it takes me ages to do stuff on a computer that takes me a couple of minutes with old fashioned physical analogue gear.
  • Yes ideally you should aim to use every chord atleast once
    Old Is Gold
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27549
    It wasn't my assumption!   But I've also assumed that I don't have to use every note in each chord.
    Yes ideally you should aim to use every chord atleast once
    If it's only "ideal", then my 2 chord drone should be OK ....

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony;267703" said:
    not_the_dj said:

It wasn't my assumption!   But I've also assumed that I don't have to use every note in each chord.

Antique_Guitars said:

Yes ideally you should aim to use every chord atleast once

If it's only "ideal", then my 2 chord drone should be OK ....

:D
    Ha ha yeah that's cool the rules are pretty flexible to be honest, at the end of the day it's the people who decide who wins so as long as they like what you have done and feel you have played within the rules then you have a chance of winning :-P
    Old Is Gold
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I'd assumed the whole point was that you had to use all 3 chords but hey ho....
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27549
    daveww said:
    I'd assumed the whole point was that you had to use all 3 chords but hey ho....
    Ah well, back to the drawing board perhaps ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    If it's any help to anyone, I discovered yesterday that the available notes include both the E minor pentatonic and the B minor pentatonic. Handy, that.  ;)

I still keep wanting to use a C# though.

:(
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm going to put finger to string and have a bash at this tonight. No real plan, but I've written out a fretboard diagram showing me which notes I can use...so I'll just sit down with that and see what happens.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have made a basic backing track .. that's progress .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I'm working on an idea, it's in 11/8, not sure how well it will work though! Currently it only exists on paper, must try to make time to record it.
    Recorded a rough version and simplified it to 5/8. Sounds like the third movement to Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint. Hmmm.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    mellowsun said:
    Recorded a rough version and simplified it to 5/8. Sounds like the third movement to Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint. Hmmm.
    Sounds cool ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I had a bash at this last night, nothing inspirational happened, so I might just randomly noodle around the allowed chords/notes with a ton of FX on ;-)
    edited June 2014
    Well I'd no idea what Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint was so I had a listen.  Which movement were you referring to ;-)   If it's like that then it's going to be impressive anyway!

I'm sure whatever you guys, swots ;-) end up with it's going to be much better than my quick plug in and play improv'.  There that's my excuse out of the way... :)
    It sounds a bit like the end of the 3rd movement. A bit repetitive!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2014
    If it's any help to anyone, I discovered yesterday that the available notes include both the E minor pentatonic and the B minor pentatonic. Handy, that.  ;)

I still keep wanting to use a C# though.

:(
    You are far cleverer than me. I am stuck at the level of playing each chord in various places on the neck and to keep it simple just noodling around the notes that form the chord. 

Still, this is quite good fun. 

Good luck everybody. 
    Nowt wrong with that. Most of sultans of swings solos and fills are done that way.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    True enough. I just fancy a bit more knowledge of scales to help me with the notes in between where your fingers fall if you see what I mean. 
  • How is it all going everyone? Sorry I have not checked in much recently, I have just been uber busy and I am feeling pretty stressed at the mo. I am going to try and jam something for this thing myself today.................... maybe
    Old Is Gold