Composition Challenge #3 "Chord Fun"

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'll try again with mine, haven't got anything recorded yet but my original idea didn't really work that well. Back to the drawing board...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27548
    I've got a few bits recorded on my iPad.  If you're unlucky, I might manage to get something finished and submitted.  But don't hold your breath ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I've got a backing track down (drums, bass, rhythm guitars), just have to lay down the lead parts. I should get it finished in time - got a couple or three weeks and I reckon it'll only take another couple of sessions to do.
  • Is everyone enjoying this challenge or is it a bit difficult? Just trying to get an idea for future challenges.
    Old Is Gold
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It's more restrictive than the last one, so yes I'm finding it more difficult. But I'm up for the challenge and it's good to be out of my comfort zone.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    How is it all going everyone? Sorry I have not checked in much recently, I have just been uber busy and I am feeling pretty stressed at the mo. I am going to try and jam something for this thing myself today.................... maybe
    I have a backing track but have not moved any further forward yet .. hope to finish this weekend.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I've enjoyed the challenge - it's given me a real kick up the but to knuckle down and get familiar with my new (to me) software on my new (to me) computer. I've actually put a lot more hours effort into this challenge than the others.

I'm quite pleased with the little tune I've come up with.
    :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've had a few ideas but nothing I like and nothing which has used all the chords yet. I also don't do very well with instrumental pieces I find it easier to write songs instead.

I'm honestly not trying to be negative but I'm just not getting anywhere with the chords we're allowed to use.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I have a rough idea comprising some overdubs on my little Tascam GT-R1. Will try to record it properly this weekend. When's the deadline?
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    I agree @Adam_MD. I did come up with some ideas but I'm not sure if I actually like them enough to go through the recording process. I'm just not feeling the chords and the idea of going back over what I've played to ensure I didn't use any 'wrong' notes just doesn't appeal to me. 

I am very much looking forward to hearing the entries though, I wonder how similar they might sound given the restrictions.

mellowsun said:

I have a rough idea comprising some overdubs on my little Tascam GT-R1. Will try to record it properly this weekend. When's the deadline?

"Fretboard Challenge #3 starts 1st June 2014 - Submission deadline Midnight 15th July 2014

Voting starts 17th July 2014 - Voting ends 11.30pm 31st July 2014"

Still a few weeks yet.

I'd advise to keep plugging away - you sometimes have to 'work' for that inspiration.
    Had another session working on my track today. I've got all the parts recorded now and rough mixed. One more session to mix it and give it a bit of a spit and polish and I think it'll be finished. I just hope I don't discover any 'forbidden' notes.
    So, I've done a drone using Esus4, Bmaj7 and Gmaj.

Can I enter for last month?
    TTony said:
    So, I've done a drone using Esus4, Bmaj7 and Gmaj.

Can I enter for last month?
    Only if it's Desert Blues stylee.
    ;)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited June 2014
    A drone or any other style using those chords should be fine :) Me thinks I need to practice more at recording, editing,layering etc. I've almost no experience in any of these
    Lol took me four goes to to type that. Pxssxd in Turkey at the minute :)
    daveww said:
    A drone or any other style using those chords should be fine :) Me thinks I need to practice more at recording, editing,layering etc. I've almost no experience in any of these
    To be honest, I've messed with iPad GarageBand on&off over the last few years, but never spent enough "proper" time with it to learn how to use it.

This challenge, I've spent the concentrated time with it.  It's good!
    edited June 2014
    I love it and the apogee mic and jam I've got to go with it. But I've mainly only ever used it it for live recording. I have used the the smart drums though and I play with my grandson using the mic and sampler etc. we've had some great fun and I can see it's really quite powerful piece of software. Not quite like the full blown GarageBand with a mac but for a fiver it's pretty amazing.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9719
    Adam_MD;275849" said:
    I've had a few ideas but nothing I like and nothing which has used all the chords yet. I also don't do very well with instrumental pieces I find it easier to write songs instead.
    it doesn't have to be instrumental? I did vocals for the last one, and i cant sing or write songs, no excuses!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Track finished! (I think?)

I'll give it one last listen later to make sure I'm happy with it but I think I'm there. Quite pleased with it.