'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited March 2015
     black string wrapping.

I know this will sound possibly stupid, but how much would it cost to cloth/string wrap single coils under their cases, all the string wrapped pickups you make look so cool! Also is the vintage cloth pullback wire standard?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10459
    tFB Trader
    There,s not usually enough room on for example Strat pickups to fit string wrapping and covers ... the bobbins are simply too full of wire. I make 'Topless Tele neck pickups with string wrapping ... and am happy to make 'Stripped Strat' sets (which have a great 'punk' vibe) but you won't be able to retro-fit a cover to em!
    And waxed cloth push-back wire is standard on all my Fender style single coils :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited March 2015
    There,s not usually enough room on for example Strat pickups to fit string wrapping and covers ... the bobbins are simply too full of wire. I make 'Topless Tele neck pickups with string wrapping ... and am happy to make 'Stripped Strat' sets (which have a great 'punk' vibe) but you won't be able to retro-fit a cover to em!
    And waxed cloth push-back wire is standard on all my Fender style single coils :-) 
    Ahhh fair enough, they all look so cool. Also I emailed you earlier about the staggered triple blues, Just wanted to ask, would triple blues or stone tones be more appropriate for a philip sayce type tone ie, this intro riff.

Ahh great, makes it a lot easier to install, man so hyped to order these, got the money from my other set, so after going to the bank tomorrow I should be able to order them. Cheers
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Ooooo that's Triple Blues territory .... with the right amp.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

TheGuitarWeasel;545942" said:
    Ooooo that's Triple Blues territory .... with the right amp.  
    Thought so, email on the way :)
    tFB Trader
    Okay .... so who wants to be a crash test dummy for the my new Oil City 'Scrapyard Pup' Single coil size, Strat rail humbucker? I need someone with a Strat with a weak arsed bridge pickup to take on the job of testing ... 
    Yes a free, hand wound pickup ... in fact I believe the only production, scatter wound, SC bucker in the UK.
    PM me for details ... and let me know why your Strat is deserving of a free £70+ pickup!
    There is a discount month coming on selected pickups too.image

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Yeah, I'd love to stick that in the bridge position of my 'Voodoo Strat ' (reverse bridge pickup). It's currently loaded with some low wind vintage style pickups which are great at that job but I need to re purpose that Strat to be my main gigging guitar.
    Don't want to stick a full fat Humbucker in it as it will be a bit too different to the neck & middle in terms of output and sound and also I don't really want to ruin the SSS aesthetic.
    So that being the case something that is a bit 'more' than a stock single coil but not quite as fat as a full bore Humbucker sounds absolutely ideal.

Will it be included in the upcoming offer ?
    Although if I'm being honest there are loads of other forumite who would be far better placed to offer you a much more rounded & complete review on it.
    I'm just a mongoloid string basher who uses to much gain all the time.... ;-)
    tFB Trader
    Yours was the first hand up ... so it's yours if you want it. 
    I doubt full sets will be available till after the offer ...I'll PM you later :-)

Oh man I'm stoked, thanks Ash !
    tFB Trader
    Don't mention it! 

• alvynmcqalvynmcq Frets: 11
    edited March 2015
    Gutted that I missed out on trying this.

At least I have my zebra blitz to look forward too
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Tell us all about these Special 33s, then! :D
  • @theguitarweasel pm coming your way dude. 
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    EdGrip said:
    Tell us all about these Special 33s, then! :D
    The special 33 is the my take on the very first Strat pickups ... alnico 3, low wind, super open and chiming. Non bevelled as the early poles were ... 
    Essence of Strat :-)

edited March 2015
    Hey Ash, pickups are sounding stellar, on the staggered set of triple blues what height would you recommend, and where would you measure from (as the poles are all different heights).

Also plenty of wire on there, I used a lot of the offcuts to do the rest of my wiring, next time I need pickups I will defenatly come back :)
    tFB Trader
    Heights on Strats are a real can of worms, one mans meat is another mans poison. Here's what I do:
    I start with a rough 3.5mm to the tallest pole ... adjust a touch further away bass side for alnico 5 ... a smidge closer for the treble side. That is usually a good basis for experimentation. I like the middle pickup a little further from the strings ... for no reason other than it gives me more picking room.

tFB Trader
    Some eye candy ... a 'relic finish' Oil City FortyNiner Broadcaster style alnico 3 pickup

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Hope you don't mind, Ash - for @Mkjackary - here's one of Ash's Triple Blues pickups, coverless and string-wrapped. :)

tFB Trader
    Oooooo that's sexy .... I love to see my pickups in their final resting places :-)