'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10433
    tFB Trader
    MattFGBI said:
    Do you do anything like a JB Junior? I've got a little 59 in the bridge position on a Strat but it's lacking "balls" compared to the rather punchy single coils I have. I need something with more "throat" - an upper-mid punch and tight low end. 
    At the moment I am putting the finishing touches to my new range of SC sized humbuckers ... I believe the only hand scatter wound ones being made anywhere. 
    I would certainly be happy to wind you something of that sort of spec ... there are plans to include one in the lineup ... just time and my hernia operation got in the way lol
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Ok, let us know when the new ones are ready! 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    MattFGBI;637534" said:
    Do you do anything like a JB Junior? I've got a little 59 in the bridge position on a Strat but it's lacking "balls" compared to the rather punchy single coils I have. I need something with more "throat" - an upper-mid punch and tight low end. 
    I randomly spied this on eBay earlier.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251954927796?nav=SEARCH
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    MattFGBI;637534" said:

This one is a lower output version ... about 10k if I remember rightly ... but it's good value at that BIN to be honest. That there was the first one of a group of pre production prototypes I created. About PAF bridge output.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• 4string4string Frets: 33
    Adam_MD said:
    MattFGBI;637534" said:

@adam_MD Someone is taking the piss here. Katie's just snorted when I showed her this and I have asked Ash to have a look as I am pretty sure I know where all of the prototypes for the rails pick ups are. There are so many aspects to the "pick ups" that look dodgy I don't know where to start.  Ash is going to rip his stitches when he sees the listing...

@Adam_MD OK, I have spoken with Ash and the issue is that this has been re-potted since it left the workshop. It is however an OCP prototype, all be it one that has been repotted and possibly re-glued.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    TheGuitarWeasel;635258" said:
    Well after a long gestation ... and several prototypes .... here is my latest P90.I think I am right in saying it's fairly unique ... Powered by twin alnico 8 magnets, with high tensile steel poles for treble response ... and a specially copper clad and earthed bobbin shield to make it far quieter than many standard P90s.Oh yes ... and it's 22k!Designed for metal ... but actually quite at home with jazz or many other types of music ...
    Wow...i may have to get me a set of these!!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    MattFGBI;637534" said:
    @MattFGBI.

Just thought I should pipe up and say that I have, through the years been through most of the Seymour Duncan canon of single coil sized Humbuckers. I bought my first, a Hot Rails the day after I saw the Hamsters for the first time. Since then I've also dallied with the JB Jr, the Lil 59 and at least one Dimarzio as well. All had their merits but none of them completely 'did it' for me.

And then in March I had the good fortune to have Ash give me one of his Scrapyard Pup pickups which I promptly installed in the bridge position of my main Strat.

I'm completely won over. It has enough grunt to be tight and agressive without being so hot as to make the level difference between it and the neck & middle singles silly. It's actually turned my Strat into my main guitar !

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    DrBob said:
    MattFGBI;637534" said:
    @MattFGBI.

Just thought I should pipe up and say that I have, through the years been through most of the Seymour Duncan canon of single coil sized Humbuckers. I bought my first, a Hot Rails the day after I saw the Hamsters for the first time. Since then I've also dallied with the JB Jr, the Lil 59 and at least one Dimarzio as well. All had their merits but none of them completely 'did it' for me.

And then in March I had the good fortune to have Ash give me one of his Scrapyard Pup pickups which I promptly installed in the bridge position of my main Strat.

I'm completely won over. It has enough grunt to be tight and agressive without being so hot as to make the level difference between it and the neck & middle singles silly. It's actually turned my Strat into my main guitar !

Ok, sign me up. 

@TheGuitarWeasel - put my name on a scrapyard pup once they're ready.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

Will do ... and thanks @DrBob you guys on here make me blush and go 'awwww shucks' sometimes!

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Why does the Void P90 get paired with a Firewatch P90 neck? Is it not viable to have a Void P90 in the neck? Confused because yoy say good for jazz :)
    tFB Trader
    I have so far only tried pairing A void bridge with a Firewatch neck ... which gives a super versatile guitar for everything from blues to metal.
    The darker mids of a void bridge are great for jazzy lines used clean ... and when a void neck becomes available next month you will have an even more warm and rounded neck pickup available. I may offer the neck unit as a tapped unit to give you classic P90 and a fire breathing monster. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I think you need one of these as a tester guitar for 8 string versions of your pickups. :D 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    tFB Trader
    I am now regularly doing 7 string units ... and my new hybrid magnet 8 strings that use alnico for the top four strings ... and ceramic for the bottom four are getting good reports from people testing them. If anyone wants to be a multi string pickup tester I am happy to talk big big discounts for reviews

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Hey Ash, quick question. You remember the rather awesome Supermassive 'bucker sized P90 I had off you...will it be available on the website soon? I've been pimping you out :)
    tFB Trader
    As soon as I update my site .... and I am doing that in the coming week ... the Supermassive 90 will be on line as a 'buy it off the site' item ...

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    TheGuitarWeasel;643150" said:
    As soon as I update my site .... and I am doing th kmat in the coming week ... the Supermassive 90 will be on line as a 'buy it off the site' item ... 
    ....and I can recommend it to anyone, its a fantastic pup.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Is there possibility of a tapped Void 90 for both neck and bridge?
    tFB Trader
    Yep ... but tapping a pickup like the void will be bound to cost a bit extra ... fiddly process

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Surely you can't tap the void.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    Just like to say that I've just fitted a set of Stone Tones to my Schecter strat and they are absolutely bang-on what I was after - plenty of nicely balanced stratty sparkle from the middle and neck units, and I have to say the bridge pickup is fabulous - plenty of twang when clean, but with a bit of drive it sounds really fat, no hint of harshness but still loads of bite. Bravo! Excellent customer service too , poor old Ash was endlessly patient with my incessant dithering.