'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    edited April 2015
    Hi @theguitarweasel. I've got a hardtail Pacifica which currently has a humbucker in the bridge position. I am toying with replacing this with a humbucker-sized P90. String spacing, high E to low E, is as close to 2" as makes no difference. Would one of your Mighty 90s be a suitable fit? I assume the casings on my guitar will be a standard size? Also, could you give a bit more info on the differences soundwise between the standard and the 'Smooth' versions please? Many thanks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10453
    tFB Trader
    You will have an issue with pole spacing: Nickel covers and our flatwork for bucker sized P90s are all 49.2mm vintage Gibson spaced. Your string spacing is 51mm meaning your poles won't be exactly in line with your strings. This will make bugger all difference sound wise, but it is a cosmetic issue.
    My 'smooth' Mighty Nineties use a combination of lower power magnets ... alnico 2 and 4 to produce a less 'snarling' bass response and a more flute like top end than straight alnico 5. It's a small but noticeable difference to bog standard P90s.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited April 2015
    Thanks. Not worried about the cosmetics. However, taking a squiz at the Pacifica it already seems that the pole pieces don't quite line up with the strings as it is. It appears that the pickup surround is perhaps a mm or so off so that none of the strings are directly over the poles. However they are at least all 'off' by the same amount. Unfortunately I think that although the slightly smaller vintage spacing will correct things for the treble side of things, it will only make things worse at the deep end. How far out can things be before it begins to make a difference? @theguitarweasel
    tFB Trader
    Quite a fair bit is the answer! The old Tele Deluxe with the Wide Range used a pickup spaced for the bridge in the neck and both top and bottom E strings missed by miles! You should have enough wiggle room in the pickup surround to bend the mounting legs slightly to centre everything if that will help a bit.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

@theguitarweasel Still prevaricating about the bush here. Hopefully not a dumb question, but the photo on your webbie and the mention of a 'full depth, specially designed bobbin' has got me worrying that your Mighty 90 might be deeper than a normal humbucker. Sorry to keep bothering you but this would be my first attempt at replacing a pickup so right now I am probably overthinking things and seeing everything as a potential problem. Thanks again.
    tFB Trader
    I simply use up all the space in a standard height cover ... and I mean ALL the space ... so it ends up a minimum amount taller than a standard short leg humbucker with a nickel cover ... but is an absolute BITCH to solder the cover onto for me! :-) 
    It is shorter than a 'long Leg' Gibson bucker by a fair way for example.
    Normally at the bridge end the height thing is less of an issue anyway ... my standard height (5mm cranked) Blackbirds that are perhaps 3 or 4mm thinner than a Mighty 90 go into the neck position of Blackmachine B6s ... a guitar far thinner than a Pacifica in the body I believe!

tFB Trader
    Did a tough job a couple of weeks ago but it was dead worthwhile: one of my luthier customers did a restoration/mod on a 65 Tele. Already messed about with large routs under the scratchplate his client wanted a P90 neck pickup ... vintage wound, a medium/high output middle strat pickup ... all wound to compliment the original pre CBS bridge unit. The added complication was that the clearance for the P90 required a custom spacing bobbin fabricated and wound. His spec was for a cream ASL Custom Shop Jin-Go neck P90 and a black 'Triple Blues' middle. I think the result is really cool.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    What switching options does the guitar have?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited April 2015
    thats proper cool that is, like some kind of perverted stratele mashup. Quite why he didn't opt for a 6 saddle bridge is beyond me though :P
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    What switching options does the guitar have?
    I don't know that one sorry ... if it were me It'd be a five way with a series option

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Hi Ash - I've been looking at the Sunn Mustang hanging on my wall this week and wondering if it's a left-of-field candidate to become the P90-equipped guitar I keep thinking I'm missing.  If I get round to souping it up I'll be looking at a Mighty 90 to replace the bridge humbucker currently in there.  One thing I was wondering is if they come with anything other than nickel covers?  The rest of the pickups and plastics are all in an aged white (ahem... mucky yellow) and I'd quite fancy any replacement I drop in to match visually.  Not a deal -breaker though, I could live with a shiny one if that's all that's available!
    tFB Trader
    All black is an option image

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Cheers Ash, was hoping there'd be a white/cream option but I guess I'd probably go for the nickel out of the two. Thanks for your reply!
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    Well after a long gestation ... and several prototypes .... here is my latest P90.
    I think I am right in saying it's fairly unique ...