'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10436
    tFB Trader
    I'm chuffed you like em mate! The 'new recipe' StoneTones took a few prototypes to get bang on ... but the power is up with the same sound, so they are going into my White gigging Strat too! They will also take any Strat covers ... not just the ones I supply.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    I'm getting used to the look of the Schecter with covered pickups rather than the oversized fibre flat tops. I'm coming round to it though, and the Stone Tones are beautifully made. The waxed cloth covering on the leads makes it so much easier to solder than the usual plastic/rubber coating, though I managed not to catch any wiring with the soldering iron, only my own fingers a couple of times.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Well after a long gestation ... and several prototypes .... here is my latest P90.
    I think I am right in saying it's fairly unique ... 
    Powered by twin alnico 8 magnets, with high tensile steel poles for treble response ... and a specially copper clad and earthed bobbin shield to make it far quieter than many standard P90s.
    Oh yes ... and it's 22k!
    Designed for metal ... but actually quite at home with jazz or many other types of music ...
    This look very, very interesting, I got an Oil City P90 last month, nice sound, but this has got me thinking about another P90, what's it sound like?............

I still love the sound of the Oil City Tele Neck pup I got the other year.   :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    tFB Trader
    Very hot, sweet and with the volume down a bit, rounded with plenty of top still. HUGE bottom end that could curdle cream ...Oh and did I say VERY hot indeed. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    imalone;644092" said:
    Surely you can't tap the void.
    Your mum.

• metalemetale Frets: 57
    Hi, Ash. Tell me, what would you put on a the bridge of a Dean Hardtail (prs style, set-neck, mahogany/mahogany/rosewood) for a Killswitch Engage metalcore-ish tone?

The guitar will be boosted with a TS-type OD for tightness, and I favour plenty of low-mids and good harmonics. Tuned to drop C.

Not many lead playing safe for a few harmonies,, more rythm and riffs.

Black Knight? Blue Streak?

Cheers
    tFB Trader
    Blue Streak is more classic metal ... think 'Super Distortion' ... the Black Knight is more the beast you want I would think.
    If you have a little more dosh ... then this is 'giant anteater's gonads' for some serious drop tuned action ... truly brain creaming.

image The Oil City Masterwound Havoc ... 16k bridge ... triple magnet system ... over depth bobbins for maintaining cutting highs while pumping out lots of bottom grind. 

• Yo Ash,  are 7 string blackbirds a thing?  If so I'll be on the case after the festivities.
    tFB Trader
    They is, am and are :-)
    As are the 7 string Blue Steels ...

• Best news I've heard all day. I'l be in touch.
    tFB Trader
    :-)

• Masterwound Havoc...looks sinister!
    tFB Trader
    All black with black gun blued blades, on an all black guitar looks pure evil ... 

• Hi Ash, just to let you know i've taken delivery of my NIGHTFIGHTER,SCRAPYARD DOG & 50s wiring harness. Looks very good indeed and can't wait to have it all fitted! Updates to follow.
    tFB Trader
    boydie101 said:
    Hi Ash, just to let you know i've taken delivery of my NIGHTFIGHTER,SCRAPYARD DOG & 50s wiring harness. Looks very good indeed and can't wait to have it all fitted! Updates to follow.
    Hope my assembly instructions were alright ... it's early days on our looms and we are still trying to get all the packaging/instruction issues addressed :-)

• boydie101 said:
    Hi Ash, just to let you know i've taken delivery of my NIGHTFIGHTER,SCRAPYARD DOG & 50s wiring harness. Looks very good indeed and can't wait to have it all fitted! Updates to follow.
    Hope my assembly instructions were alright ... it's early days on our looms and we are still trying to get all the packaging/instruction issues addressed :-)

Just got back from the guitar shop who will be fitting everything, they seem happy with it all and commented on the quality of the wiring harness. Good signs so far indeed. As it is a busy period for them, it will most likely get on their bench next Tuesday-- really looking forward to getting it back.
  • @TheGuitarWeasel - is there any chance you could do a rail set of your T-trons in G-size? i.e. super'trons?

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/wpimages/wp363756cc_05_06.jpg
    tFB Trader
    Been looking at just that ... should be no real issue .... PM me

• Sweet, I'll drop you a line! :)
  • Picking my Les Paul up this afternoon, they phoned to say that the harness had to be taken apart as the wiring wasn't long enough, so a little disappointed on that front. More info this evening!