Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM 2020. Line 6 Pod GO

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• I have a usability question...

I tend to have 3 main patches currently on my HD500X. 1 clean, 1 crunch, 1 lead. The clean patch uses a different amp to the dirty patches (e.g. Hiway 100 v Treadplate)

It would be nice if I could have mix mode buttons on A-D.

For example button A sets a patch to a clean amp (eg. Hiway 100), then button C could change to a snapshot within that patch (e.g. boost and delay). Essentially, A and C are snapshots within the same patch.

Similarly button B sets a patch to a dirty amp (eg. treadplate), then button D change to a snapshot (for lead) withing that patch. Essentially, B and D are snapshots within the same patch.

As I understand it, I will either have to create 4 snapshots within the one patch to cover this use case, thus need to find a clean amp that will become a really heavy tone via a distortion block; or tap dance between 3 presets (as I do now on the HD500X) but lose the trails feature I'm hoping to gain from the new product.

I understand the Helix can have 2 amp blocks and can therefore solve this problem with ease.. but with a bit of outside of the box thinking with the footswitch modes, an option could become patch A/B and snapshot C/D ??

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm. Yeah, I suppose that is the greatest draw back with the one fixed amp thing. You could  make the rectifier clean and dirty with snapshots, tho.
    I wonder if it would let you have two amp blocks and just keep the cabinet the same? It doesn’t say you can’t ? 
  • Hmm. Yeah, I suppose that is the greatest draw back with the one fixed amp thing. You could  make the rectifier clean and dirty with snapshots, tho.
    I wonder if it would let you have two amp blocks and just keep the cabinet the same? It doesn’t say you can’t ? 

No I doubt it, DSP limits and all that... 1 amp model per patch as I believe it.

I'm not sure the rectifier cleans up well imho, the treadplate amp on the HD500X didn't seem to. I am happy to be proven wrong though..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    You could change the amp gain (and eq) settings using snapshots, though that would mean you're using the same amp for clean dirty.

On full Helix, you can set it up so that one row of footswitches is for snapshots and the other row are stomp mode switches where you could toggle stuff within your snapshot but I don't know if this will be available on pod go
  • shuikit said:

On full Helix, you can set it up so that one row of footswitches is for snapshots and the other row are stomp mode switches where you could toggle stuff within your snapshot but I don't know if this will be available on pod go
    No, I don't believe it is.. there is a footswitch mode switch that changes 4 of the switches (A-D) to be preset or snapshot or stomp mode as a whole; that's my understanding.

My trading feedback

No I doubt it, DSP limits and all that... 1 amp model per patch as I believe it.

I'm not sure the rectifier cleans up well imho, the treadplate amp on the HD500X didn't seem to. I am happy to be proven wrong though..
    Hmm. I’ll try and make the rectifier clean tonight and get back to you.
    Are you going in front of an amp or direct?
     In theory you could go into a clean or cleanish pedal sim like an overdrive (or a comp) and bypass the amp model altogether and then go into the cab/ir and then out. Then you’d be able to snapshot, no probs.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited March 2020

Are you going in front of an amp or direct?
    Direct.

I'd be curious to hear back from your experimenting...

Helix users obviously have the luxury of bi-amping and then using snapshots. I did see a YT video that tried to replicate the signal path of the GO on the Helix to see if it would cover the desired use case.. unfortunately it wasn't as broad as my clean/heavy crunch/lead use case.

My trading feedback

• Righto, has a quick zip through now on my LT.

Signal flow was tubescreamer-dual rec-ir-Cali eq-delay. 

I easily managed to emulate your style of rig with these five bits (and I’m an idiot who keeps having to look up how to snapshot because I keep forgetting !).

From what I understand you have to have an eq block in the pod go plus the ir and amp, so technically I only used two of the four effect slots.

To get a clean sound out of the recto I turned the gain down to 0.2, which made it sound a little dull, so the clean snapshots have the eq turned on. 
    The tubescreamer was engaged (at a different setting ) for the clean boost. 
    Tubescreamer on for main crunch tone, and delay and different tubescreamer tone for the lead tone.

Technically that leaves you two extra fx spaces.

If you wanted you could have the amp bypassed and a pedal (chorus worked well) instead of the cleaned up recto (I like a tiny bit of grit on clean, but this might bother you) or pick a slightly lower gain amp and boost it more ( Jcm 800 style).

Maybe try the free demo of the helix native program and give it a whirl? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitarmangler  ; cheers for this..

Can you firm this?? Bit confused as it looks like you've used the a Cali amp??
    Signal flow was tubescreamer-dual rec-ir-Cali eq-delay.

There's certainly scope to experiment as you have proven. I will investigate the helix demo but my pc probably won't run it without latency.
    My trading feedback

• The Cali eq is from the eq section, it’s not an amp. I used that one because it’s easiest for my slow brain to understand.
    There’s lots of others
    I think the Cali is an emulation of a Mesa graphic eq. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    All we need nowi is a powercab with built in Helix and a floor board.
    Literally what I’m waiting for too.

I’d be content with an update of the DT series really, something that just covers the amp and cab side of things, leaving the rest to the HXFX or other stomps. Either way, if the price was right then this is what I’d be in the market for.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Literally what I’m waiting for too.

I’d be content with an update of the DT series really, something that just covers the amp and cab side of things, leaving the rest to the HXFX or other stomps. Either way, if the price was right then this is what I’d be in the market for.
    Oh yes, that sounds incredible. Especially if you could use the helix part of it as a DI for slient recording. 

I already have a HX FX and don't want anything as big as a helix floor but that sounds like an amazing amp!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    @relic245 aye, I'd hope so! I've already had the full fat Helix and HXFX before, they're great units but not quite the format I'd prefer to use. Even with the Helix, my rig was pretty basic and reasonably static too - guitar into a handful of pedals, then a single or dual amp rig. I'd prefer to have just the amp and cab modelling, with a traditional pedalboard of stompboxes :)

• Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 379
    edited March 2020

I have a usability question...

I tend to have 3 main patches currently on my HD500X. 1 clean, 1 crunch, 1 lead. The clean patch uses a different amp to the dirty patches (e.g. Hiway 100 v Treadplate)

It would be nice if I could have mix mode buttons on A-D.

For example button A sets a patch to a clean amp (eg. Hiway 100), then button C could change to a snapshot within that patch (e.g. boost and delay). Essentially, A and C are snapshots within the same patch.

Similarly button B sets a patch to a dirty amp (eg. treadplate), then button D change to a snapshot (for lead) withing that patch. Essentially, B and D are snapshots within the same patch.

As I understand it, I will either have to create 4 snapshots within the one patch to cover this use case, thus need to find a clean amp that will become a really heavy tone via a distortion block; or tap dance between 3 presets (as I do now on the HD500X) but lose the trails feature I'm hoping to gain from the new product.

I understand the Helix can have 2 amp blocks and can therefore solve this problem with ease.. but with a bit of outside of the box thinking with the footswitch modes, an option could become patch A/B and snapshot C/D ??
    Helix has WAY more footswitch flexibility than POD HD500X and considering the Up/Down switches can be quickly set to Bank, Preset, or Snapshot Up/Down independent of the other switches (as well as 4 presets and 4 snapshots available at once), you might be able to do it now.

But with 2.90 (out soon), you'll be able to customize the press and release (or hold) of each stomp switch to be any preset, any snapshot, or any looper function.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • Will this momentary feature apply to pod go? 
    My trading feedback

• Manual has been released
    My trading feedback