Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What’s your favourite overdrive pedal?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited February 2020
    tekbow said:
    Since we're on the subject, any distinct differences between the SD-1 and TS in terms of the classic boosting a crunch channel application?

Worth having both for all the price an SD-1 is pre-owned?

Also.. now we're a decade on from the whole buffers vs true bypass debate, are we ok with buffered boss bypass again?
    They are slightly different - the SD-1 is a little 'hairier' and seems to work better with Marshall-type amps, and the TS is a little smoother and works better with Mesa Rectifier-type amps. But they're very similar and both work fine for both.

Both also have a slight problem with bleed from the overdrive sound into the bypass, if they're not run after another buffered pedal - the SD-1 usually worse, although it varies from one example to another.

I am a fan of the Boss buffered switching, but this is a definite problem with this particular pedal - although it's apparently been fixed on the expensive Waza Craft version (which I haven't tried yet, because I am tight-fisted...). It doesn't apply to any other Boss pedal as far as I know, other than the OD-1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    ICBM said:
    tekbow said:
    Since we're on the subject, any distinct differences between the SD-1 and TS in terms of the classic boosting a crunch channel application?

Worth having both for all the price an SD-1 is pre-owned?

Also.. now we're a decade on from the whole buffers vs true bypass debate, are we ok with buffered boss bypass again?
    They are slightly different - the SD-1 is a little 'hairier' and seems to work better with Marshall-type amps, and the TS is a little smoother and works better with Mesa Rectifier-type amps. But they're very similar and both work fine for both.

Both also have a slight problem with bleed from the overdrive sound into the bypass, if they're not run after another buffered pedal - the SD-1 usually worse, although it varies from one example to another.

I am a fan of the Boss buffered switching, but this is a definite problem with this particular pedal - although it's apparently been fixed on the expensive Waza Craft version (which I haven't tried yet, because I am tight-fisted...). It doesn't apply to any other Boss pedal as far as I know, other than the OD-1.
    Didnt know about the bleed, my TS is a keeley modded one I've had years, so no buffers in it.

Anything can be done about the bleed in a non Waza, presumably non SMD version?

Fancied sticking one at the end of my pedal board after the TS, just for the difference in flavour and having a buffer before the cable run to my amp. No other buffered pedals before it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbow said:
    Personal choice.  I was perfectly happy with lots of Boss, till I heard it once, and now I can't bear it.
  • clarkefan said:
    tekbow said:
    Personal choice.  I was perfectly happy with lots of Boss, till I heard it once, and now I can't bear it.
    What do you mean dude?

Bye!

tekbow said:

Anything can be done about the bleed in a non Waza, presumably non SMD version?
    You could do it by adding an extra switching transistor to mute the overdrive section - how difficult that would be, I'm not sure. In theory it should be as easy as connecting one leg of the transistor to the correct point on the PCB, the second to ground and the third to the switching circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've got a Monte Allums modded SD1 and it's apparently had the bleed through fixed. Just sounds like an SD1 with a few clipping options to me.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I guess the bleed thru isnt a big deal if you're doing volume dimed, gain at min.

Or does it not work like it does with a TS?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tekbow said:
    I guess the bleed thru isnt a big deal if you're doing volume dimed, gain at min.

Or does it not work like it does with a TS?
    That’s correct. The bleed is of the overdriven sound into the bypass, so if you don’t have much overdrive dialed in it’s not an issue.

But why would you want to use an *overdrive* pedal like that? It’s an overdrive, not a clean boost!

;)

(Just kidding, I know a lot of people do...)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom