Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar documentary subject-as-in-individuals-ideas.

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
edited February 2020 in Guitar

Might have the chance to pitch some mini documentaries soon and wanted to include some guitar stuff. 

Though I'd ask for your collective knowledge to drum up some suggestions. 

Who in Europe is pushing the envelope in the guitar world?

Can be players, designers or builders. 

Who is at the forefront of a new movement that might not yet be known by the mainstream, or which luthier or designer is pioneering new techniques or materials or is making the guitar a traditional instrument now fit for the 21st century and generations to come?

Which players are turning the guitar into something new, musically? 

Apart from Chappers obviously. 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• erm it's more about the 50s stuff than ever... all the innovation is with amps and IRs. Two Notes are a French company i believe if you're after someone European.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The thing I'm most aware of are the English pickup companies.

Also, not really a pedal guy but, Gamechanger Audio seem to come out with some interesting pedals that stand out from the crowd as something different in a sea of very similar clones.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    erm it's more about the 50s stuff than ever... all the innovation is with amps and IRs. Two Notes are a French company i believe if you're after someone European.
    Yes of course, but there have to be some crazy inspired people doing new/different/better. 

IRs would be a boring as fuck doc sadly. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    thegummy said:

Also, not really a pedal guy but, Gamechanger Audio seem to come out with some interesting pedals that stand out from the crowd as something different in a sea of very similar clones.
    Gamechanger are a good shout do you know where they are based? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    soma1975 said:
    thegummy said:

Gamechanger are a good shout do you know where they are based? 
    I think it's Latvia.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Thorpy
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Ivison Guitars. Boutique small scale luthier building the best of the fifties, with some modern touches if desired, and new retro-inspired designs.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thorpy would an interesting guy to document I bet. 

Army demolitions expert goes into pedal building, Thorpy/ Redbeard etc. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Harley Benton.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    I think the phenomenon of Instagram guitar and the parallels between that and things like fitness on Instagram would be an interesting area to explore.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    edited February 2020
    Some of the small acoustic builders may be worth a look - like Brook, Turnstone, or Atkin.

I think Brook are quite big on sustainable timbers, so there may be an angle there, and you can probably sneak in some scenic pictures of back of beyond rural Devon.

Turnstone are more innovative in their designs, and there may be the "woman in a man's world" angle.  There was a piece in the Guardian about Turnstone a while back:

• HaychHaych Frets: 5681
    Ben at Crimson is making some interesting stuff, although he generally tends to document it as he's building.

From a viewers perspective I would be very interested to see something on guitar/amp repairers and techs, too.  I could watch Dan Erlewine fixing stuff all day.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3474
    edited February 2020
    Aristedes are for certain pushing the boundaries with their guitars, based in Netherlands.

Mayones, Poland.

Red Layer Guitars are absolutely insane too. You could get some nice stuff about how the guitars end up being works of art more than anything. I could watch him make the inlays and cut the fretboards all day long.

Not bread and butter guitars by any means, but certainly are immaculate and offering another level of service and quality.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    edited February 2020
    Rather than gear, I'd do a doc on the continued popularity of Django gypsy jazz and it's modern players. It's a trend that along with classical guitar continued in its original form relatively unaltered, yet doesn't quite fit into the scholarly folk music tradition, partly due to it's gypsy origins and relative modernity. American jazz by contrast, despite being as recent and being invented by a minority demographic too, has been co-opted by universities and the establishment.  
    John Jorgensen is a fascinating guy plus there's the UK scene as angle.
    Rather than gear, I'd do a doc on the continued popularity of Django gypsy jazz and it's modern players. It's a trend that along with classical guitar continued in its original form relatively unaltered, yet doesn't quite fit into the scholarly folk music tradition, partly due to it's gypsy origins and relative modernity. American jazz by contrast, despite being as recent and being invented by a minority demographic too, has been co-opted by universities and the establishment.  
    John Jorgensen is a fascinating guy plus there's the UK scene as angle.
    Whilst I would watch the shit out of that it doesn't really tie in with the interests of what the people who would be paying for it to be made. Wish I could say more. 

Some brilliant ideas so far guys. 

Please keep them coming. 

Carbon fibre.
    Tonewoods vs pickups.
    You could get a never ending documentary out of that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited February 2020
    You could do a series following an intrepid, Indiana Jones type as he delves ever deeper into the labyrinthine tunnels of @HarrySeven 's underground storage bunker.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The rise of the youtube guitar hero
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ