Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar documentary subject-as-in-individuals-ideas.

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    thegummy said:
    Sesh said:

+1 for Harry Seven's vaults.
    Not sure how successful that would be as a proper documentary but I'd love to see it if someone made it even just as a YouTube video.
    Or a video game. Like Tomb Raider.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:

Might have the chance to pitch some mini documentaries soon and wanted to include some guitar stuff. 

Though I'd ask for your collective knowledge to drum up some suggestions. 

Who in Europe is pushing the envelope in the guitar world?

Can be players, designers or builders. 

Who is at the forefront of a new movement that might not yet be known by the mainstream, or which luthier or designer is pioneering new techniques or materials or is making the guitar a traditional instrument now fit for the 21st century and generations to come?

Which players are turning the guitar into something new, musically? 

Apart from Chappers obviously. 
    Ariel Posen, The Movie? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    I suppose a prog on the rise of the  iconic  American electric  guitars and the British players that battled with crap imitations until they made it  and dominated the world has already been done.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Marshall in the digital world - how they keep themselves relevant etc...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31647
    Teuffel
    The Birdfish is a quarter of a century old.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    Have to say it's very interesting though. Definitely the sort of thing the client might be interested in, 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31647
    soma1975 said:
    Have to say it's very interesting though. Definitely the sort of thing the client might be interested in, 
    Maybe, but it's definitely outside the remit as neither of their guitar models are even from this century, let alone at the forefront of a new movement. 
    I mean, it's my remit but 

Who is at the forefront of a new movement that might not yet be known by the mainstream, or which luthier or designer is pioneering new techniques or materials or is making the guitar a traditional instrument now fit for the 21st century and generations to come?

Plus the concept of a singular or unique voice makes it, and people on similar missions, probably worth a look.  

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • p90fool said:
    Teuffel
    The Birdfish is a quarter of a century old.
    I know, but innovation in the guitar world is like booze ads with a disclaimer that encourage you to seek help for alchoholism. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    edited February 2020
    JerkMoans said:
    You could do a series following an intrepid, Indiana Jones type as he delves ever deeper into the labyrinthine tunnels of HarrySeven's underground storage bunker.
    Perfect! 
    The Madness Of 'King Harry.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    edited February 2020
    There is so much gear being made these days, from amps, to pedals, to guitars. Not like an old car that gets recycled, top end guitars get better the older they get, but I am guessing that the majority of the market is made up of budget or cheaper gear.
    There is probably so much gear available now, that if all companies stopped making gear, there would probably be enough guitars, amps and pedals to go around. Just looking at the amount of used gear available online in Ireland, I'd never have to buy anything new again if I didn't want to. There's just so much choice in the used market no matter the price point.
    I'd love to know the environmental impact, if any, of all this gear. Where does all the old gear end up? 
    Will tube amps become obsolete eventually....
    The way we have "fast fashion", ethically wrong, do we have "fast GAS" or "fast gear"...?
  • To me the biggest story is making music in the box the rise of laptops and tech devices as a valid musical creation device the whole plugin emulation culture and the companies involved in that. 

Also in the digital realm as much as people here all go on about boutique amps analogue pedal etc but the real the story is the sheer amount of digital amps and how good they are stuff like Kemper, Line 6 etc.

The rise of female guitarists/songwriters and YouTube and how big companies are targetting girls as the big growth market for guitar music.  

Chapmans fall from social media grace (which I see is still being tweezed out through more videos on YouTube in my feed this week by commentators i have never liked or subscribed to but as I watched a few over Christmas I am getting them regularly pushed to me) AKA Video killed the Video star LOL
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2300
    I think it would be interesting to look at the small scale / cottage industry / artisan craftsmen types that seem to be flourishing in the guitar world at the moment - Oil City, Feline, Crimson and many, many others.

Personally I like to see people with these fantastic skills making instruments, or parts of instruments and sticking two fingers up at the Gibson, Fender, made in China boys - it would be a bit of a "Big Up Brexit" programme... perhaps....
    There is so much gear being made these days, from amps, to pedals, to guitars. Not like an old car that gets recycled, top end guitars get better the older they get, but I am guessing that the majority of the market is made up of budget or cheaper gear.
    There is probably so much gear available now, that if all companies stopped making gear, there would probably be enough guitars, amps and pedals to go around. Just looking at the amount of used gear available online in Ireland, I'd never have to buy anything new again if I didn't want to. There's just so much choice in the used market no matter the price point.
    I'd love to know the environmental impact, if any, of all this gear. Where does all the old gear end up? 
    The way we have "fast fashion", ethically wrong, do we have "fast GAS" or "fast gear"...?
    What has any of that got to do with the OP?

Adey said:
    I think it would be interesting to look at the small scale / cottage industry / artisan craftsmen types that seem to be flourishing in the guitar world at the moment - Oil City, Feline, Crimson and many, many others.

Personally I like to see people with these fantastic skills making instruments, or parts of instruments and sticking two fingers up at the Gibson, Fender, made in China boys - it would be a bit of a "Big Up Brexit" programme... perhaps....
    Again, yes I'd love to do that and really enjoy doing craftsperson profiles - I have shot some bits for one pickup maker and contacted Feline as I think they'd be a great subject but didn't hear back.

However that is all very different from what this thread is about. 

To me the biggest story is making music in the box the rise of laptops and tech devices as a valid musical creation device the whole plugin emulation culture and the companies involved in that. 

Also in the digital realm as much as people here all go on about boutique amps analogue pedal etc but the real the story is the sheer amount of digital amps and how good they are stuff like Kemper, Line 6 etc.

The rise of female guitarists/songwriters and YouTube and how big companies are targetting girls as the big growth market for guitar music.  

Chapmans fall from social media grace (which I see is still being tweezed out through more videos on YouTube in my feed this week by commentators i have never liked or subscribed to but as I watched a few over Christmas I am getting them regularly pushed to me) AKA Video killed the Video star LOL
    It's not about what the biggest story. It's about what I mentioned in the OP being the remit for a bunch of docs I can pitch and hopefully make and that the investor would like to be associated with even tangentially. Not all are about music. Got some cool car stuff in the pipeline too. 

• soma1975 said:
    What has any of that got to do with the OP?
    TItle of thread is "Guitar documentary subject ideas" ???? This is part of it???

As other's have suggested, looking at the cottage industry, or where the guitar goes next.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8750
    soma1975 said:

Who in Europe is pushing the envelope in the guitar world?

Can be players, designers or builders. 
    Pickup makers: Neodymium magnets. Split wound and split magnet pickups such as @OilCityPickups’ Wapping Wharf and @Alegree’s Chameleon.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited February 2020
    Appreciate you taking the time mate but it's quite a specific thing I'm after which is why the OP explains it all. 

There's no investor outside a equipment recycling firm that would pay to be associated with that subject/documentary. 

EDIT:  sorry, didn't mean to sound like a prick

• Where does all the old gear end up?
    I thought we were doing @HarrySeven 's shed already?
    :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom