Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

East Yorkshire. What's it like?

What's Hot
Mrs Stuckfast has been offered a job which would involve us moving to Cottingham, just outside Hull. Anyone know that area? We are southern shites who have never lived north of Birmingham.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    AFAIK Hull is very run down, with a lot of problems
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Outside of Hull is nice, inside of Hull, not so much. Go for it.
  • Wet 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    They hit each other with hammers and make puddons..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    p90fool said:
    Outside of Hull is nice, inside of Hull, not so much. Go for it.
    This. I go to Hull regularly, and there's some lovely villages surrounding the city. Cottingham is in a pretty good location, I would say. Close enough to Hull take advantage of the good elements, shopping, events venues, for example (the bonus arena is great), but far enough away to not be residing near any dodgy areas. Beverly is great and only around fifteen minutes away, and then there's the North Yorkshire Moors and N.E. coastline not much further.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • They have done up Hull recently and the centre of it is pretty nice now I think (coming from someone who lives in Harrogate!)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited February 2020
    My wife hails from East Yorks (although it was called Humberside at the time). I always liked it when I visited - her parents lived in Swanland which is 7 miles or so outside of Hull. There were loads of nice villages around that part (West Ella, Kirk Ella, Melton, Welton, Bishop Burton, Cherry Burton) and the roads were excellent compared to the South East (easy to get to the Dales and the Moors). At that time (90's through to around 2010) I even liked Hull - yes it was rough round the edges but it had character. I think it's gone down hill quite a lot in recent years (last time I was there was probably 2016 and it was looking very run down).
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    Some nice places around Scarborough, seamer, scalby, whitby, robin hoods bay - might be a bit of a drive from Hull and as people have mentioned yorkshire shuts for snow for a few weeks every year.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I teach in Cottingham and live just down the road.    It’s a nice place and plenty of nice villages a short distance away.    Feel free to ask anything specific about the place.   
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I love the Hull accent.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Gods Own County...nuff said!....

Said a Yorkshireman living on the Isle of Wight!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Thanks all. We're heading up there to have a look round on Saturday. Anything we should look out for? Anyone know what the secondary school in Cottingham is like?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Gods Own County...nuff said!....

Said a Yorkshireman living on the Isle of Wight!
    I agree - But Hull is not the nicest town to live in - Beverly close by is very nice - Further afield and no shortage of nice towns/villages itself - But as others have mentioned it has had a face lift in recent years, but like many larger cities it has its issues as well
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    We would be very specifically tied to Cottingham, no option to live anywhere else nearby.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited February 2020
    Sassafras said:
    I love the Hull accent.
    Nerr ya dern't, lyah!

The problems in Hull pretty much come down to investment - i.e. it's had none for decades.  The City of Culture status has gone some way to helping in recent years, but we'll see what happens there - I don't particularly want to kick off that debate again .

There are some nice parts of the town and some not so nice.  Bransholme is a world apart from the Avenues, and there are all sorts in between.  If you want to live in the city, go there and look around - I'm not being dismissive, but trying to give a feel of a reasonably-sized city in a few sentences is nigh-on impossible and not fair on you!

Failing that there is no shortage of lovely villages outside the city, all of which are an easy drive into town.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

I actually really like Hull city centre and can happily spend a day walking round there.living near Grimsby, I avoid the town centre at all costs as much as I can, basically because it's a shit hole with absolutely nothing of note worth visiting. Hull city centre feels like some sort of metropolitan utopia in comparison.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Stuckfast said:
    We would be very specifically tied to Cottingham, no option to live anywhere else nearby.
    Ah OK, we posted at the same time!
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    A few years ago we moved from Leeds to York. 

When we lived in Leeds we’d hardly ever been to East Yorkshire but since moving we’ve visited quite a few times (though not as far as Hull yet!). There are some lovely towns and villages - Beverley was a pleasant surprise.

When talking about Yorkshire you’ll hear plenty of people mention the North York Moors and The Dales, but not many will mention the Yorkshire Wolds (in fact I know people that have lived in Yorkshire all their lives and have never heard of them!)

These are a real gem and make up a good part of the East Yorkshire landscape - the gentle rolling green hills and dry valleys really are beautiful - I can see where David Hockney gets his inspiration from.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Stuckfast said:
    Thanks all. We're heading up there to have a look round on Saturday. Anything we should look out for? Anyone know what the secondary school in Cottingham is like?
    I teach there.  Great staff.   Very strapped for cash so the buildings are old but it’s a good school.    
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    There's now't wrong with Hull apart from it's a bit run down - where isn't? - and it faces east which can be a bit chilly from time to time.  My cousin lives quite close to the airport - you'd never know mind - and it's really nice around there.

Said a Londoner living in York
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.