Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

East Yorkshire. What's it like?

What's Hot

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I stayed in a B&B in Cottingham for 3-4 months a few years back. It was OK. Not the best village, not the worst. I'd be working in Grimsby for 5 years previous and as @breakstuff ;says,Hull has a lot more to offer in terms of music and restaurants. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're selling a house in the south, you'll be able to buy most of East Yorkshire with the proceeds...

We've just bought an extensive 4 bed semi for a smidge over 200k in Yorkshire. That wouldn't get you a broom cupboard in that London! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You've got to got to the Land of Green Ginger in Hull. A lovely quaint little street that includes Britain's smallest window!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited February 2020

I actually really like Hull city centre and can happily spend a day walking round there.living near Grimsby, I avoid the town centre at all costs as much as I can, basically because it's a shit hole with absolutely nothing of note worth visiting. Hull city centre feels like some sort of metropolitan utopia in comparison.

The whole experience of visiting Grimsby could be improved quite a bit by putting some bloody tarmac on the A180. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    If you're selling a house in the south, you'll be able to buy most of East Yorkshire with the proceeds...

We've just bought an extensive 4 bed semi for a smidge over 200k in Yorkshire. That wouldn't get you a broom cupboard in that London! 
    It would get you about half my 3 bed semi in hampshire let alone London!  My aunt just sold a massive house in scalby with a garden 10 times the size of mine with a river at the bottom for the cost of a small 4 bed house on a new estate round here.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10269
    randella said:

I actually really like Hull city centre and can happily spend a day walking round there.living near Grimsby, I avoid the town centre at all costs as much as I can, basically because it's a shit hole with absolutely nothing of note worth visiting. Hull city centre feels like some sort of metropolitan utopia in comparison.

The whole experience of visiting Grimsby could be improved quite a bit by putting some bloody tarmac on the A180. :)

Wis'd, drives me nuts. It was supposed to be getting re-surfaced last year, like they did past Immingham/Killingholme but it never happened.

I think it's actually a warning, as in, if you think this is bad, things are about to get a while lot worse once you get to where you're going! Should have a great, big sign at Stallingborough saying 'You are advised to turn round as soon as possible. You have been warned'. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The towns and cities aren't particularly great, but the countryside is lovely and parts of the coastline are stunning if you're into that sort of thing. The aquarium in Hull is amazing mind you, well worth a visit, though probably not enough of a reason to relocate your life!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Being someone born in Grimsby I’m not actually allowed to say Hull is better (but it is). 

The villages around it are nice and quite posh , the centre is ok but there are some rough areas. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    grungebob said:
    Being someone born in Grimsby I’m not actually allowed to say Hull is better (but it is). 

The villages around it are nice and quite posh , the centre is ok but there are some rough areas. 

On my mum's side of the family they are all from Grimsby and Louth

Mum lived for years, as a kid, on Arthur Street - Just off Lords Street
  • I've not lived that far north, Derby is as far as I've been, but in my general experience, the north of England is much nicer than the south... there are of course exceptions to this, but if I found myself single for some reason I'd be straight back up to Derby rather than staying down here
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    Sassafras said:
    You've got to got to the Land of Green Ginger in Hull. A lovely quaint little street that includes Britain's smallest window!!!
    And even that's been boarded up.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I have fond memories of living in Grimsby as a child for a few years. But yeah.. clue is in the name there!!

My cousin studied at Hull uni. Said it was a dive of a place.

Bye!

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited February 2020
    I hail from Grimsby originally. I've lived in Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds and Manchester before settling south of York in Pocklington. I actually really like Leeds/York....but Manchester was always the best for music. 

There are some affluent villages around Grimsby and Hull. Avoid Scunthorpe.

Grimsby town centre is awful. But, it has memories for me and a lot of family live in the villages around it (as well as good friends).

Hull city centre is much bigger and has a few largeish venues e.g. the Arena. The Welly has some good gigs.

But, despite the investment and the nice fruit market regeneration, it still feels grey and lifeless, and stuck in the 80s. It is also rough around the city...sorry to say. I feel I can say that having been at uni in Nottingham in the rough student areas. 

York on the other hand is absolutely bloody lovely, as is Leeds, and if you don't mind the travel to them, you are near the nice Harrogate/York/Leeds area.

North and South Cave near Hull are REALLY nice....I drive that way back to Grimsby and I'm always wanting to stop and have a half in the cosy pubs! Worth having a look at. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    I hail from Grimsby originally. I've lived in Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds and Manchester before settling south of York in Pocklington. I actually really like Leeds/York....but Manchester was always the best for music. 

There are some affluent villages around Grimsby and Hull. Avoid Scunthorpe.

Grimsby town centre is awful. But, it has memories for me and a lot of family live in the villages around it (as well as good friends).

Hull city centre is much bigger and has a few largeish venues e.g. the Arena. The Welly has some good gigs.

But, despite the investment and the nice fruit market regeneration, it still feels grey and lifeless, and stuck in the 80s. It is also rough around the city...sorry to say. I feel I can say that having been at uni in Nottingham in the rough student areas. 

York on the other hand is absolutely bloody lovely, as is Leeds, and if you don't mind the travel to them, you are near the nice Harrogate/York/Leeds area.

North and South Cave near Hull are REALLY nice....I drive that way back to Grimsby and I'm always wanting to stop and have a half in the cosy pubs! Worth having a look at. 
    I've got friends from Crayke who moved to Pocklington just before Christmas, we haven't been yet.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    randella said:

Haha, I stopped to check my tyres the first time I drove down the A180 :-) I actually really enjoyed my stint in GY, the town is not the greatest, but the people were absolutely fantastic and there are some nice villages outside of the town. 
  • My Mum’s from Goole so we used to visit when I was a kid. Haven’t been in years but I have happy memories of Saturday afternoons spent watching Goole town play near the docks, walking by the river and stuffing myself full of the best fish and chips ever
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited February 2020
    I was born in Hull and spent about 8 years living in Cottingham before moving south 30 years ago due to work and lurve.  Great place and I would go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have work,  kids and grandkids firmly fixed in Dorset.   Great pubs and music in Cott.  Its a big village with a small town feel.  Trains into Hull every 20 mins or so or north to Brid and Scarborough.  Hull is much much better than its made out to be.  Some fantastic places to hand out and its very own arts and music culture.   It has the highest post study stay on rate for any university which has to say something.  Its a fairly big city so obviously has areas of deprivation, but where hasn't.
    East Yorks coast is in easy reach and the Wolds and North York Moors are within an hours drive.

Oh and you have Hull Fair each October  (google it)  if you have kids they will love it.  If you haven't  got kids then you have to experience it to believe it.

Ill eventually retire back to East Yorks.  It cant come soon enough.

Oh and I almost forgot.  The Hull chip shop pattie.  You cant get them anywhere else.  Its a thing of wonder.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Sassafras said:
    I love the Hull accent.
    One of my mates is a student teacher supervisor in the Hull area. One of his students set up a wildlife pond project at the school where he was based. When mate went back to visit the student, he was told one of the kids had rushed into class to tell him “Sir, sir there’s some turds in the pond!” Took him a while to figure the kid meant large frogs, not floaters.  =) Apparently the actress who played Egrit in Game of Thrones based her accent on a Hull one. 

My mate lives in Beverley btw just across the bridge from Hull, it’s a pretty nice town. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Outside of Hull is nice, inside of Hull, not so much. Go for it.
    Exactly the opposite way round to on a ship, then. Interesting. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I lived in Grimsby on and off from early 70s to 81. It was much nicer then although there were some total psycho kids bordering on Thompson venables characters seriously . It seemed to have declined when I was there on 84 but I think it’s worse now . Great club there though called yardbirds . We lived at Sussex street, Harrington street then went posh and lived at humberstone .
    gran lived at Lancaster avenue and willows estate.