Polyphia - potentially the most interesting thing happening in the guitar world at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• And before anyone chides me for making a sex related joke. Page 1....
    roberty said:
    ham fisted

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 665
    Potentially the most boring thing happening in the guitar world at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    And before anyone chides me for making a sex related joke. Page 1....
    roberty said:
    ham fisted

What do you think "ham fisted" means?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    And before anyone chides me for making a sex related joke. Page 1....
    roberty said:
    ham fisted

What do you think "ham fisted" means?

Bye!

• i actually enjoyed the first two tracks havnt listened to the others yet. technically very skilful and makes me feel very old and inadequate but refreshing. anyway im off shortly to play a pub gig where i will be playing mr brightside, sex on fire  and i wanna break free and all your other favourites
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    Jethro Tull shit on Polyphia from great heights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Schnozz said:
    If you've got a video of that that potentially is the most interesting thing happening in the guitar world.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I liked the Muse album - quite melodic and fun, but the mix is horrible, over processed and ear fatiguing.
    All their stuff since then sounds bland and uninspired to me and their new ‘tone’ makes me want to cleanse my eardrums.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    edited March 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    Schnozz said:
    If you've got a video of that that potentially is the most interesting thing happening in the guitar world.
    From 1976 - TV Documen-gine makers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_lQ0H4zZEA
  • Anyone reading this thread thinking 'oh shit these guys are great and my playing is crap' 

Watch this and you'll feel a bit better ...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3518
    Anyone reading this thread thinking 'oh shit these guys are great and my playing is crap' 

Great, but can Steve Vai do plin plin plon skweesha skweesha plon plon plin like the Poly guys?
  • It sounds like a computer trying sound like a guitar, almost MIDI-like. Incredible technique but it transits no passion to me. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    carlos said:
    Anyone reading this thread thinking 'oh shit these guys are great and my playing is crap' 

Great, but can Steve Vai do plin plin plon skweesha skweesha plon plon plin like the Poly guys?
    Actually, if you pay attention to the solo between 7:40 to 8:20, that’s one of the Poly guys right there! But you all spotted that didn't you?
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1642
    fandango said:
    carlos said:

Actually, if you pay attention to the solo between 7:40 to 8:20, that’s one of the Poly guys right there! But you all spotted that didn't you?
    What I got from this video is that Paul Gilbert has more taste in his soloing than the others on this stage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Seems most people here don't like the band, but that isn't necessarily relevant to the initial point which suggested that they are potentially the most interesting thing happening in the guitar world. I think that there is an argument that it is a different type of guitar playing and therefore potentially up there in that category, irrespective of whether liked or not. 

Jackson Pollock was an important painter and he just threw paint at a canvas.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16329
    johnl said:
    I've been vaguely aware of these guys for a long time but back then they were just some incredibly talented kids shredding their hearts out (which the internet is pretty much full of). That said they've recently shifted to a completely different style of music with incredibly complex, interesting riffs. Just thought I'd post a couple of them here in case others haven't heard of them:

This first one was a solo that's part of a larger compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL0dxX_z2qc

The main riff from this next one is well worth a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_gkpYORQLU

Slowed down version of the riff above so you can see what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-U4hyKOPe0
    At the Birmingham show I thought wow that's a nice looking Ibanez, just watched that first video and it's that one. One of their signature models presumably? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1803
    Music for the post-Covid 19 survivors all us old jazz blues & funk rockers will go the way of the dinosaurs in the mass extinction event of our generation. 

Still sounds like some form of dubstep for guitar and I can only hear the riff played on NI Massive

At the Birmingham show I thought wow that's a nice looking Ibanez, just watched that first video and it's that one. One of their signature models presumably? 
    It is indeed - it's this one:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/ibanez-sig-tim-henson-thbb10-in-black-w-gold-hardware

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Seems most people here don't like the band, but that isn't necessarily relevant to the initial point which suggested that they are potentially the most interesting thing happening in the guitar world. I think that there is an argument that it is a different type of guitar playing and therefore potentially up there in that category, irrespective of whether liked or not. 

Jackson Pollock was an important painter and he just threw paint at a canvas.
    Exactly that. As per the other thread at the moment I really enjoy Josh Smith's playing but he's not doing anything new, likewise Gary Clark Jr, Ariel Posen, Jared James whatshisface or any of the others of the new breed. Hearing Polyphia was the first time I heard someone doing something on guitar that I hadn't already heard.