Polyphia - potentially the most interesting thing happening in the guitar world at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• I don't know why "most interesting thing happening right now" is even a consideration.

Mozart isn't any shitter/non-shitter today than he was when he was alive.

It's just a silly metric to judge music on in my view. Music is about how it makes you feel - talking about it is like dancing about architecture, etc etc etc.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I think you're being deliberately disingenuous there. Of course if that's the only metric you're using to judge music then it's a strange one to choose. But in a field that can be somewhat stale, creating something innovative and enjoyable is surely something to be celebrated? I suppose the real question is if you can appreciate something even if you don't personally enjoy it?

Mozart is not known as one of the great innovators but certainly towards the end of his life he, too, started trying things outside of the fairly rigid frameworks he'd worked within for the majority of his career.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think it's disingenuous at all really. The thread is premised on the notion of innovation being the reason why a band should be called the most interesting thing in guitar right now. And that isn't really something I agree with. I tell you what, I started writing much better music once I gave up the idea of being original or innovative. 

And anyway, Polyphia aren't doing anything particularly innovative in any case. That sort of fusion stuff has a huge lineage behind it. I can appreciate the skill and talent on display. It just doesn't do anything for me. To me it sounds like they've sat down and gone "what's the zaniest thing I can do at beat 3-and in this one bar" etc etc etc.

When technique obscures the song, I get bored.

But then, I'm not a quote-unquote "guitarist" so I guess I don't get excited by typical guitarist things.

Bye!

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7180
    I think this band is bit dull to listen to, it all sounds like a pinball machine meets K Pop and not in a good way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Have you perhaps confused the terms "most interesting" and "best"?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860

I listened to the G.O.A.T. video, it sounded ok to me - not something I'd listen to every day, but I've heard a lot worse.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    johnl said:

At the Birmingham show I thought wow that's a nice looking Ibanez, just watched that first video and it's that one. One of their signature models presumably? 
    It is indeed - it's this one:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/ibanez-sig-tim-henson-thbb10-in-black-w-gold-hardware

I liked the mash up of 70s styling and the ( slightly) more modern Ibanez stylings. Maybe a bit unexpected for Polyphia. Nice anyway.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • johnl said:
    Have you perhaps confused the terms "most interesting" and "best"?
    Nope. You're just being defensive tbh mate. It's not an attack in n your taste

Bye!

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2661
    Jackson Pollock was an important painter and he just threw paint at a canvas.

Pollock was a lot more methodical than people think - he knew where he wanted the paint to go, it's just that he got it there by dripping it rather than using a brush. 

(The YouTube video is supposed to go straight to about 2:50, but I've got in a mess with that on here before.)

I like the general idea behind the band (to me it sounds like someone heard the solo to Fiery Gun Hand by Cardiacs and decided to make a genre out of it, and why not), but what I've listened to so far has that American boys' thing about getting the technique down and that's more important than anything else. Also, one of the guitarists seems to be about twelve years old, but they've been going for a long time. What's going on there. 
  • not for me at all, just not melodic enough, too much maths not enough feel, these guys need to go and listen to some Charlie Byrd records. 
    As Miles Davies (I think) it's not what you play, it's what you don't play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Branshen said:
    I love their stuff. Another great tune is 40oz, but I'm sure a majority of the folks here will find it overly technical and unmusical..

I quite like the simpler playing in that, but the goddamn awful drum track made me turn off 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23256
    Jackson Pollock was an important painter and he just threw paint at a canvas.

Pollock was a lot more methodical than people think - he knew where he wanted the paint to go, it's just that he got it there by dripping it rather than using a brush. 

(The YouTube video is supposed to go straight to about 2:50, but I've got in a mess with that on here before.)

Blimey, I bet he ended up with back trouble.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11384
    People in "different tastes in music" shock.

I've listened to the clips that the OP p'd and they are interesting. Whether or not they will interest me after repeated listenings - well, who can tell.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Loobs said:
    The Derek Baileys of Math Rock.

Does nowt for me. But then again, neither does much else...
    That's being generous. Derek Bailey was a genius and pioneer! 

That’s as may be, but I can’t listen to him without wanting to stab myself in the ears with an old dessert spoon, either... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    Finally some new music that I don't get because I'm too old! This is a good thing, this generation needs to spread it's wings a bit, good for them.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10830
    tFB Trader
    wonderfully tricky, complex and smoothly executed. Would I listen to it for pleasure? No.

We each have different things that excite us about the music we listen to and the music we play, and I'm delighted that a band like that exists and is appreciated.
    Purely on a personal level, with me, music has to hit more emotional receptors than the one reserved for 'wow that sounds difficult'.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    Euphoria vid is interesting. Forgot about the music  :#
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23256
    johnl said:

At the Birmingham show I thought wow that's a nice looking Ibanez, just watched that first video and it's that one. One of their signature models presumably? 
    It is indeed - it's this one:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/ibanez-sig-tim-henson-thbb10-in-black-w-gold-hardware
    I liked the mash up of 70s styling and the ( slightly) more modern Ibanez stylings. Maybe a bit unexpected for Polyphia. Nice anyway.
    I enjoyed this little clip from DiMarzio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSfN1zcgYR0
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    lysander said:
    I liked the Muse album - quite melodic and fun, but the mix is horrible, over processed and ear fatiguing.
    All their stuff since then sounds bland and uninspired to me and their new ‘tone’ makes me want to cleanse my eardrums.
    On paper I should really like Muse, but they sound like David Icke writing lyrics for Freddie Mercury fronting Rush on a bad day. I just can’t get into them. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    As for listening to them for pleasure; I have New Levels, New Devils in the car right now...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.